Interracial Weddings

American-Honduran Wedding

I am looking for some ideas to incorporate my fiance's Honduran culture into our wedding without being too over-the-top or tacky about it (no soccer ball centerpieces and no making my dress out of the Honduran flag). I want people to get a good taste of who he is while having it assimilate into my traditional American background.

One idea I've found so far that I love is using orchids in my flower arrangements as it is the national flower of Honduras- subtle but meaningful.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Re: American-Honduran Wedding

• lca315girllca315girl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only thing that I can think of at the moment is to serve Honduran food during cocktail hour.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic White Knot
  • edited December 2011
    I suggest asking FI's parents if there are any traditional rituals or customs done in Honduran weddings and try to incorporate that into your ceremony/reception. Your best resource is going to be his family so that's where I'd start. Let us know what you come up with!
    Photobucket Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I know this was from a year ago, but I was looking up some traditions online and came across your posting. I'll be marrying a Honduran next year and although he says he can't think of any traditions, I can't imagine there aren't any!<div>
    </div><div>Were you able to incorporate any into your wedding? Other than the food, which will definitely be there, I'm interested in adding more of a Honduran touch to the ceremony.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks!</div><div>-J</div><div>
    </div><div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_american-honduran-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:d8521df2-2118-47f1-88dc-aaee56a84dd0Post:a4a66a4c-5e70-4cd7-b2fc-c979c61c1404">American-Honduran Wedding</a>:</div><div>[QUOTE]I am looking for some ideas to incorporate my fiance's Honduran culture into our wedding without being too over-the-top or tacky about it (no soccer ball centerpieces and no making my dress out of the Honduran flag). I want people to get a good taste of who he is while having it assimilate into my traditional American background. One idea I've found so far that I love is using orchids in my flower arrangements as it is the national flower of Honduras- subtle but meaningful. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
    Posted by bethanyjane89[/QUOTE]

</div>
  • <div>I am Honduran and my Hubbyto be is American.  Like many Hondurans, I am Catholic, so we are having a Wedding Rosary during our ceremony.  Basically, the Maternal granmothers place a side of a Lazo (Lasso) rosary on the bride and the groom.  It symbolizes Christ being the center of the Marriage and is for hopes that prayer will always be a part of your marriage.  It's beautiful and I can't wait to do it!</div><div>
    </div><div>I hope that helps!</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_american-honduran-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:d8521df2-2118-47f1-88dc-aaee56a84dd0Post:eadd229d-9568-4f09-8dfa-3903e126c298">Re: American-Honduran Wedding</a>:<div>[QUOTE]I know this was from a year ago, but I was looking up some traditions online and came across your posting. I'll be marrying a Honduran next year and although he says he can't think of any traditions, I can't imagine there aren't any! Were you able to incorporate any into your wedding? Other than the food, which will definitely be there, I'm interested in adding more of a Honduran touch to the ceremony. Thanks! -J In Response to American-Honduran Wedding :
    Posted by jesca24[/QUOTE]

</div>
  • I'm American and my husband to be is Honduran.  It seems most of the stuff online is for Mexican wedding traditions or Latino weddings in general.  We hope to make the wedding colorful, have lots of our favorite flowers and some international recipes.  I like the idea of the lasso and also the tradition of the 13 coins representing Christ and the 12 disciples.  I'm not sure if it's exclusively Mexican or not.  Has anyone found additional details to add in?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards