Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

How to walk down the aisle

My ceremony musician said that there is a ceremonial walk that everyone does at weddings - step forward with the right foot, then bring the left so it's even with the right, then step forward with the right, repeat - ALWAYS right food forward.  I've never seen this at a wedding.  I looked at a ton of YouTube videos of processionals and can't find one to see what it would look like.  It sounds like it would look like a zombie shambling down the aisle...
Does anyone know if this is how you should walk down the aisle?  Are there any videos of it?

Re: How to walk down the aisle

• Options
    Walk however you want.  My father and I walked normally but slowly.  You won't be doing it wrong if don't do the zombie-walk - no worries.
  • Options
    The last time I've seen it done in person was when I was a flower girl in 1989.

I've also seen it on some wedding shows (Four Weddings, etc) as a part of some African American weddings. It might be a cultural thing, or some people still might like the way that looks.
  • Options
    I've seen weddings where the bride made a beeline down the aisle - there was no slow about it. I don't know if she was nervous or just wanted to hurry up and get it done! Laughing

Do what makes you comfortable!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've never seen someone do it where they always lead with the right.  That looks ridiculous.  When I've seen the slow walk, it's always right-together, left-together.  But even that I haven't seen in a long time.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_how-to-walk-down-the-aisle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:1ce54bf1-3ebc-4383-abb6-c733f588731bPost:9b0d7c6b-eef3-440d-bec4-01b196ed5273">Re: How to walk down the aisle</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never seen someone do it where they always lead with the right.  That looks ridiculous.  <strong>When I've seen the slow walk, it's always right-together, left-together.</strong>  But even that I haven't seen in a long time.
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]
    Same here. I rarely see that anymore. I don't like it because it takes absolutely freaking FOREVER for the bride to reach the altar, especially if it's a big church.

Most people just walk at a nice, even pace. My dad is over a foot taller than me; we're going to practice a little bit so he doesn't end up dragging me down the aisle.

Whatever you do, try to stand up straight. I see a lot of brides rocking back and forth on TV because they lean a little every time their foot comes down. Practice walking slowly with your back straight. There's something to be said for that old technique of putting a book on your head. :)
  • Options
    I would fall over if I did that. 

There's a scene i Father of the Bride where they practice that walk though. It's cute, but we'll just walk normally, if a little slow. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Dance down the aisle to the music in your heart

No just kidding, but walk in whatever way makes you feel most comfortable...it is YOUR day!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Last year I was in my Best friend's wedding. She made EVERYONE in her party do this, even down to parents. It seemed as if it was never going to end! I say you walk at the pace you are comfortable with.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

One foot in front of the other works best. We walked at a normal pace, some walk more slowly.  Your choice.

• Options
    The step-together, step-together was done in the Sex and the City episode with Charlotte's first wedding (the one to Trey).

But I think most people prefer a normal gait at a relatively slow pace.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards