Wedding Invitations & Paper

Inner Envelope - Children's name

I am just starting to work on addressing invitations.  We have inner envelopes and will have some children that we are inviting.  So my question is on the inner envelopes, which is correct?

A.  Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
      Kelly and Jacob

B.  Mr. and Mrs. John Smih
     Kelly Smith and Jacob Smith

C.  Something else?


Re: Inner Envelope - Children's name

  • On the inner envelopes, it's fine to be more casual and address them as you would normally talk to them.  For example:  outer--Mr. and Mrs. John Smith, inner--John and Sue, or Uncle John and Aunt Sue, or Grandma and Grandpa, whatever is appropriate, with the children on the next line, last names optional.
  • Last names are not necessary for the kids.
    Married 10/2/10
  • It is very rude to refer to a woman as Mrs. John Smith. She has her own name. She is not the husband's possession. It should be John and Mary Smith.
  • Kind of A. The kids' are correct but the adult names are wrong. The inner envelope should be:
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    Kelly and Jacob
  • im doing belly bands with the inner envelope info on them instead of a monogram or something

    i am doing first names, nick names, etc. 

    some examples of mine:

     Aunt Sarah
    Uncle Ed
    & PJ.

    Rachelina (nicknames)
    & Judebug

    Grandma Lenna
    & Ben

    Eric, Ariel (parents)
    Olivia, Donovan
    & Gabriel (kids)

    Aunt Sam
    & Family

    for some guests, its just first names.

    you know your guests so you can decide what you think is best for them. and it doesnt have to be standard across the board because they wont see eachothers invites.
    10-10 siggy favorite summer picture Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • banana468banana468 member
    Knottie Warrior 10000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    edited August 2010
    Multiple PPs are not correct.  The way you address the inner envelope or belly band has to do with the formality of your event and not the formality of your relationship with the person.  If you change this standard for multiple people, you're essentially saying that you're expecting some people to treat your wedding as an occasion more formally or casually than other people will.  It's not a good idea at all.

    When in doubt, follow Crane's which indicates the way to do this on their website.

    If Mr. and Mrs. John Smith have two children named Kelly and Jacob and Kelly is eight years old and Jacob is six then the envelopes are addressed the following way:

    Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
    123 Main Street
    Anytown, New York Zipcode

    Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    Kelly and Jacob

    Save the writing of things like 'Aunt' and 'Uncle' for when you're writing out their TY cards.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards