Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Unplugged Wedding?

Is anyone having an unplugged or semi-unplugged wedding where you ask guest to consider not taking pictures, video, etc. during the ceremony? I read an article about this recently and wanted to see if anyone was actually doing it or considering it. The article was pretty persuasive, but I was wondering how family might feel about not taking pictures.

If you are doing it, how are getting the word out, what do you plan to say on your programs, website, etc?

Anyone asking people not to post pics on facebook? I'm not a big FB person and only got it because I was a bridesmaid and this is how the bride wanted to communicate with us through a private FB group.

Re: Unplugged Wedding?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_unplugged-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:2196e99d-24d0-4d13-a6fe-38d663cd025bPost:19c66997-2203-43dc-ac73-93bfee45ccda">Unplugged Wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is anyone having an unplugged or semi-unplugged wedding where you ask guest to consider not taking pictures, video, etc. during the ceremony? I read an article about this recently and wanted to see if anyone was actually doing it or considering it. The article was pretty persuasive, but I was wondering how family might feel about not taking pictures. If you are doing it, how are getting the word out, what do you plan to say on your programs, website, etc?   Anyone asking people not to post pics on facebook? I'm not a big FB person and only got it because I was a bridesmaid and this is how the bride wanted to communicate with us through a private FB group.
    Posted by smile24k[/QUOTE]

The general consensus around here is that you can't tell your guests what they can and can't do with their pictures.  Personally, I feel like it's the B&G's news to share on Facebook as far as displaying pictures and such but in reality, you can't control what other people post or say and it would be really rude to try to tell them they weren't allowed to do it.  As far as taking pictures, the only way you can really enforce no pictures is if the ceremony is in a church and it's the church's policy that there be no pictures taken during the ceremony.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• We enjoyed seeing people's photos the next day.  And honestly, we really didn't notice anyone taking photos or anything during the ceremony (that was the last thing we were paying attention to!), nor during the reception.  

I think a gentle reminder to silence cell phones is fine (I think our officiant might have made an announcement a few minutes before the ceremony, but I was getting ready, so I honestly have no clue).   
    DSC_9275
  • IMO, it's fine to ask guests not to take pictures at the ceremony. Whether it's a religious ceremony or not, it can be disruptive. As a guest, it's annoying to have my view blocked by other guests that want to get that great shot of key moments in the ceremony. Ask the officiante to request no pictures at the beginning of the ceremony, post a note in your program or make a few signs. Of course, you must have noticed that no matter what the event (religious, concerts, shows etc..) there are always people who break the no pictures rule.

• I think asking guests to not use cameras during the wedding and trying to dictate what they do with photos they do take is just very AWish and unreasonable.  If you don't want photos taken during your ceremony then don't have guests. 
  • hellebhelleb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I think ultimately its really up to you.  If you would like an unplugged ceremony and thats important to you, have the officiant request it on your behalf prior to the ceremony. 

The hard part is is that the PP is correct and there is someone bound to break the rules.  I guess I would look at your reason for wanting an unplugged wedding.  If it is to keep your ceremony more intimate or for religious purposes  then I would go for it (and that reason told to your guests like "Andrew and Kate have asked for no photography or videography in order to xyz")  If its because you don't want photos uploaded to facebook I would think that would still end up happening either from someone not listening to the rules or someone uploading a reception picture.  I would think, that unless it would feel like you would regret others taking pics or feel violated in any way just let it ride and hope people will be discreet.  Plus I know some brides' whose fave shots of themselves came from guests not their photographer. 

Hope this helps :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_unplugged-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:2196e99d-24d0-4d13-a6fe-38d663cd025bPost:b8078d50-2183-4430-8dad-1e1c9b5c021a">Re: Unplugged Wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think asking guests to not use cameras during the wedding and trying to dictate what they do with photos they do take is just very AWish and unreasonable.  If you don't want photos taken during your ceremony then don't have guests. 
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

I was really just asking whether anyone was doing an unplugged wedding, because I read an article on it and it seemed like an interesting idea. I don't know if this is something I will do or not. I was simply curious and wanted to know if people were doing it and how they were doing it.

Overall, I don't think that if someone chooses an unplugged wedding that means they shouldn't have guests...I think it a personal choice, and in a time when very few people respect privacy, I think it's fine to make that choice.
  • My fiancee and I are debating this because I would like to have an unplugged ceremony and he doesn't want to ask people.  I like the idea because people get focued on taking a picture and their camera/phone blocks them being part of the ceremony.  Plus, I've been to weddings where I've been distracted by people trying to get that picture.  If we did it, I would like to include a note in the program that once the ceremony begins, please no pictures (that way, people can get pictures of the processional and the recessional). 

I have no problem with people posting pics from the rest of the day onto facebook.  We're having a traditional Jewish wedding so there are plenty of photo-ops, I just want the formal ceremony under the chuppah to be a bit more, well, formal. 
  • edited July 2012
    We are having an unplugged ceremony for our wedding. It's not religious or in a church or traditional in any way, but we still don't want guests distracted by their gadgets or accidentally blocking someone else in their quest for the "perfect shot". We let guests know about this in a few ways: we told all the parents and bridal party so they could pass it on to guests by word-of-mouth, we posted an explanation for it on our website, and we are having the officiant announce it to remind everyone at the beginning of the ceremony. We don't feel like we are being overbearing or rude or controlling, since we are still inviting everyone to take pictures later in the evening and they can post whatever they want. I don't think anyone will be upset by it since everyone we've told or talked to about it so far has thought it was a great idea. And I would think that our guests respect us enough to not willingly ignore our wishes.

This is what we posted on our website, if you want ideas on how to word the request:

"We want you to be able to really enjoy our wedding day, feeling truly present and in the moment with us. Therefore, we would like to have our ceremony be unplugged (meaning no cameras, recording devices, cell phones, iPods, or other electronic devices in use).

We will be hiring an amazing photographer who will be capturing the way the wedding looks — and we're inviting each of you to sit back, relax, and just enjoy how the wedding feels. We're respectfully asking that the amateur shutterbugs postpone their documenting until the reception. Of course we will happy to share our wedding photos with you afterward!

Thank you for your understanding on this matter."

• I did not write the portion in quotes (I wish I remembered where I found it so I could give the author proper credit), but my fiance and I plan to have an unplugged ceremony. We've asked our pastor to welcome everyone, then remind them to please turn off their cell phones, and say something to the effect of " In order to keep the ceremonry as distraction free as possible, we ask that only the photographer take pictures of the ceremony. We promise there will be many opportunities for you to take your own photos at the reception." We will be printing this note on the programs as well.

I have been to far too many weddings where guests have been flat out rude, standing up, using their flash and often getting in the way of the professional photographers, not to mention distracting other guests. I don't expect our guests to be so rude, but I would much rather say this in advance then end up with a dozen cameras in the background of our ceremony photos, or "uncle bob" in every shot. Plus, it's an important moment for us and we want our guests to experience it with us rather than being distracted by getting the best shot. I think our guests will understand as the ceremony is the serious, important part of the day, and at the reception they can all flash away.

It's totally your choice whether you'd like to be plugged in or unplugged, so just do what you feel is right for you and your partner as it's your moment and the day should be exactly as you'd like it to be. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards