Wedding Invitations & Paper

Envelopes Styles - Square vs. Pointed

Is there one that is considered more formal or "nicer" than the other? I am partial to the pointed myself (I love euro-flap style) but I have run into an issue that may force me to have to use square-flap envelopes. Is there anything wrong with square-flap envelopes for a wedding invitation? It's a pocketfold invitation and the wedding will be semi-formal and traditional (chapel ceremony, plated meal, open bar). Thoughts?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Envelopes Styles - Square vs. Pointed

• Lots of companies offer square flaps with the invitations they make and consider a french flap an upgrade. It's a matter of preference. The shape of the flap has no bearing on invitation etiquette. If you have to use a square flap, try to find ones made in a better quality paper -- flimsy won't work well with pocket invitations.

What's the issue you ran into?

planning

• Well, I am DIYing my invites, and one of the papers (the mat behind the invitation) was going to be a pearl white. I was going to use the coordinating pearl white euro flap envelopes but I also have pearl embellishments on the invitation, and the paper doesn't match those - at all. Next to the pearls, the paper looks silver (because, as you probably know, pearls aren't a true white so most "pearl white" paper doesn't look like pearls, it's more or less just sparkly white paper). The only place I've found that sells a pearl paper that matches is Hobby Lobby, which is fine, but obviously they don't have coordinating envelopes. I would be more than willing to settle for plain white, but the company I am using for the rest of my paper doesn't sell the euro flap style in white (how is that even possible?). I can probably order some elsewhere but then I feel like I have to order at least the white paper from that place also to be sure everything is a perfect match, and nowhere else has prices that even compare to the original company I was planning to use. So my options are: I can settle for the square flap and be sure of the color match, I can order just envelopes somewhere else and take the chance that it may not be an exact match to the invites, or I can spend substantially more money and order everything somewhere else. It seems like such a small detail and I know I sound crazy but I'm a huge paper crafter - I make my own cards for every holiday and occasion, and have done invitations for all kinds of events, including weddings, and obviously everyone I know is aware of this, so I feel like there is this huge pressure for these invitations to be absolutely perfect.

• And by the way, the square flap envelopes are absolutely gorgeous. I've ordered envelopes from them several times before for other events (as well as the actual paper) and I've not been disappointed yet. It's all of wonderful quality...another reason I'm hesitant to order elsewhere.
  • In that case I'd go with the square. I'd prefer a perfect match in a square than having to spend more money to make the french flap work.

I definitely understand the pressure to make them perfect -- I do a lot of paper crafting and I always feel I have to top the last card, the last invitation, etc.

Good luck! Post a picture when you're done!
    planning

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards