May 2012 Weddings
Options

NWR: When did your parents meet your FI's parents?

Just curious....when did your parents and your FI's parents first meet? Did they get along?

My FI's Mom met my parents first. It was at my college graduation party...then they met FI's Dad at FI's surprise 30th bday party.

My FI's Mom is great, and she and my Mom are FB friends, and throughout the wedding process, they've been exchanging FB messages. They are even planning a trip together to go to the hair salon for a hair trial soon!

FI's Dad isn't hugely social and so the interactions between him and my parents have been just at our e-party, the 30th bday, and will be at the wedding.

imageimage
Missing Our July Sparkler
BFP-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13 Anniversary]

Re: NWR: When did your parents meet your FI's parents?

• Options
    This is actually really funny for me. FI's mom and my mom and stepdad met about a year after we were dating. FI's stepmom and my mom and stepdad met a few months ago after we moved into our house. No one has met my dad and stepmom and then my mom and stepdad have not met FI's dad. We are hoping to get everyone together in the next few weeks. But even then my dad may not get to come so mostly it will be meeting people at the wedding.
  • Options
    comeongetdowncomeongetdown member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    my parents live in NC and FIs parents live in CO, so they haven't actually met yet!  haha

they'll meet the week before the wedding for the first time  :-P  but i'm sure they'll get along great, they're very similar and have a lot of things in common.
  • Options
    Our parents met in 2009 at my college graduation party. We'd been together for two years already! His mom practically cried saying something about how wonderful I was and that we should get married! lol. Our parents get along pretty well, even with the language barrier (they don't speak much English, they came from Portugaul). My mom makes an effort to learn a few words here and there. My parents live two hours away, so they don't see the in-laws too often. Infact, I don't see the in-laws much because they tend to come to the house when I'm working. Weird.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_nwr-when-did-your-parents-meet-your-fis-parents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:06f61577-e38c-4c24-a926-d6e5af1f10cePost:1d594466-0e00-465e-8a20-913a5d6f92be">Re: NWR: When did your parents meet your FI's parents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]my parents live in NC and FIs parents live in CO, so they haven't actually met yet!  haha they'll meet the week before the wedding for the first time  :-P  but i'm sure they'll get along great, they're very similar and have a lot of things in common.
    Posted by comeongetdown[/QUOTE]

Same here, our parents haven't met yet!  They will literally meet 2 days (or the day BEFORE!) the wedding.  FI's parents live here in Milwaukee, my mom lives in NJ, and my dad lives in FL.
  • Options
    My mom and step dad met FMIL and FSIL at my birthday dinner in 2010. My mom has only met FFIL once when me and my kids were moving into FI's house just this past November. (FFIL really just stays to himself...doesn't usually attend family functions) and my dad and step mom haven't met anyone yet...my dad has never even met FI and we've beeen together for over 2 years!! First time they meet will be the day before the wedding...and my step mom isn't coming so she still won't have met anyone.
    178 Are Invited
    image 126 Are ready to Par-tay!!image 52 Are party poopers.image 0 Can't find the mailbox.image
    RSVP Date April 14
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    At our engagement party :)
    We met each other's parents many times before... but both sides of parents never met each other... i think, the issue was also the language barrier... my parents dont speak much english, so that doesn't help...
    Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Our parents met for the first time in 2006 when we moved into our second place together and had a house warming party. They have seen eachother a few times since and get along well.
    Unplanned BFP#1 12/15/09 7wks m/c 12/24/09 Anniversary image
  • Options
    Our parents met after I moved to live with FI. We lived in different towns, and my mom and dad came to visit and we introduced them then. They got along really well. FI's mom has gone to a concert with my mom and dad, and FFIL and my dad got along great. When my dad passed away in December FI's parents were at my mom's the next day to make sure we were okay, and have visited my mom since. They always get together if they're in the same town. My dad thougt FI's parents were great. So does my mom. We'd been together for probably 6 months when they first met.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    They first met at our college graduation in '07, we had already been together for 2 1/2 years by that point. They really didn't get a chance to talk too much as it was a pretty hectic day! They met again right after we got engaged, we all went out to dinner.
    They get a long for the most part. My Mom and FMIL even went shoe shopping for the wedding together.
    May '12 Nesties
    March Siggy Challenge: Furbaby
    MARRIED!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

FI's parents live in NC, and my parents have been in CT with us for most of our relationship. 

They met about 2 years ago (pre-engagement) when his parents came up to visit us.  Now anytime they are here my parents want to see them, even if they are only here for work!  My parents are also turning into snow-birds, so they will be driving back and forth between FL and CT twice a year, and FI's parents have already offered to be their mid-way stopping point.  

I thought it was really cute because last fall, FI's mom and my mom went to go see our venue together.  I'm so glad they get along so well!

Anniversary
  • Options
    I think it was my college graduation in 2009 about 2.5 years after we started dating. We had gone out to eat the night before but only FFIL was able to come. It was quick on the graduation day because we headed back to MA from VT basically as soon as the graduation was over. That summer FFIL and FMIL came down for a few days and spent time with my parents. They get along pretty great. I guess a few weeks ago my mom and FMIL chatted all day long, so I take it they get along :)

They live in VT and we live in MA so I doubt there will be very many times that our parents will see each other.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My parents are still together, FI's are divorced - so now there is bio dad + stepmom, bio mom + boyfriend, and ex-stepdad + fiance (FMIL and stepdad were married for over 20 years, the divorce is somewhat recent so my FI grew up living with him from the time he was 4-5 years old).

My parents and FMIL met about 9 months after we started dating, I would say.  FMIL happened to be in town at the same time as my parents, so we went out to lunch.  It was fine - all I remember was that at that time there was a lot of flooding in my hometown neighborhood, and FMIL trying to trump the story with a "Well, you think THAT's bad, but...." story of her own.  They met again at graduation, and then saw each other 2 weekends ago at my shower in FI's hometown.  My parents drove down because my mom wanted to go, and we went out to dinner with FMIL & boyfriend - I think things have gotten better since the first time they met, my mom & FMIL are friends on FB and I know occasionally e-mail other each about stuff.

I don't think my parents have ever met bio dad/stepmom or exstepdad/fiance before, though.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
  • Options
    Our parents met eachother when my family was in town for Christmas (2010). My fiance actually made all the dinner plans which made me think he was going to propose soon, I got so excited on every holiday thinking it was going to happen. He did ask my dad for my hand that day but he did not ask for another six months.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Our parents have never met and there is a language barrier. My parents will meet his mom at the wedding but his dad isn't able to come so I don't know when or if they will meet. FI's family lives in OR and mine lives in OH.
  • Options

Our parents have met yet. And I always vent to my mom and dad about the problems I'm having with FMIL so they don't like them because of the issues. So it will be really awkward.

Anniversary image
  • Options
    Hmm.. I think like two years in we did thanksgiving together. My fi has a super small family and they had no where to go some mom invited us to ours. They are so different but manage to get a long pretty good. :)
  • Options
    our parents met before we first started dating. We met at church/in youth group, and our parents knew we liked each other, so they planned family outings together so that we could get to know each other without our [very] meddling friends and so that they could also get to know each of us. It worked out really nicely. They didn't become best of friends, just because of personality clashes, but they're polite :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    They won't meet until the week of the wedding =(

FI's parents live in St. Louis and mine live in GA
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I just answered the "when did you meet FI's parents" and then came to this one and literally laughed out loud. I met FI's parents when FI's brother was in the hospital and my parents met FI's parents when FI dislocated his elbow playing football. How crazy!! I never put those two together!! =o))
  • Options
    About 3-4 weeks after we got engaged. They get along ok, would never be best buds (My FI is crazy different from his dad, and I cant stand his very traditional dad and neither can my very feminist mother....so they are all polite but would never be friends).

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

My Blog:Through My Eyes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards