June 2013 Weddings
Options

Dress budget

Seeing all the wedding dress posts got me wondering and I don't know if this is rude or not, but... What was or is your dress budget?? Mine was $500 originally. I had looked on line and found a lot I liked in that price range. However, I fell in love with a $1000 dress (on sale). I got the one I love. And now I'm super glad, cuz it's not available anymore and it is SO me.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dress budget

• Options
    I don't think its rude, we've talked overall budgets before so why not dress budget..

Mine was $2000, but I really felt like that was more than I wanted to spend.  My dress cost $1200.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SB1512SB1512 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    My dress budget was $1500 not including alterations.  My dress cost $1499 and alterations should be less than $100 because I was able to order it with a custom hem and it's a corset back.
  • Options
    My budget is $1000, though my mom was willing to go up to about $1200. The dream dress I love is $1700, so we'll see what happens when I go shopping again next weekend. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    My dress budget was $1500, also not including alterations. I ended up falling in love with a dress that was $2100, but because my mom and I made it seem like we were going to leave and shop around, she took $300 off the price and I got it for $1800. It has a lace design on the bottom, so I had to get a specific hem meausured because it can't be hemmed later or I'd lose the design. So at most they said they cap their alterations at $250, hopefully it won't be that much though.
    Honeymoon Destination - Hawaii image
  • Options
    SB1512SB1512 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_dress-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:426305dd-7674-4558-ba0d-03b31134c0a5Post:32683a26-1e3f-4d95-a2f7-2b0efe1df76f">Re: Dress budget</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dress budget was $1500, also not including alterations. I ended up falling in love with a dress that was $2100, but because my mom and I made it seem like we were going to leave and shop around, she took $300 off the price and I got it for $1800. It has a lace design on the bottom, <strong>so I had to get a specific hem meausured because it can't be hemmed later or I'd lose the design. So at most they said they cap their alterations at $250, hopefully it won't be that much though.</strong>
    Posted by rmp4996[/QUOTE]

Custom hems rock.  There was another dress I was considering, also lace, and the designer did not allow for a custom hem. The seamstress estimated alterations would range anywhere from $400-$600 because they would have to take all the lace layers apart for hemming.
  • Options
    My budget was $1,500, plus alterations. I ended up falling in love with a sample dress that I got for $300. Good thing, because the alterations and bustle are probably going to cost more than that because of the way it's constructed. P.S. I don't know about where you ladies live, but around here, the average cost of JUST the bustle on a dress is $200+.
  • Options
    My budget was $1000 not including alterations. My total with the veil came to $1200 but my mom paid for everything which was so nice and helpful on my budget. Her cousing is a seamstress so I get the family discount when I got ot her. Since it's a corset back I'm thinking I should only need some hemming done, and maybe bustle work. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My dress was $1200, on sale, not including alterations.
    I never had a real budget set, I didn't think I would want to go over $1000, but I absolutely fell in love with my dress. 

Emily, the bustle around here, depending on which type you get can range from 80-200. 
    I guess it depends on where you are and what stores you go to. 
    I know I was told side seams usually don't run over $60.
    Other than that idk, I will find out at my fitting though lol. 
    June 2013 Sig Challenge - Shoes!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_dress-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:426305dd-7674-4558-ba0d-03b31134c0a5Post:b74b03bf-0cf0-44bd-8aab-620d90494fed">Re: Dress budget</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dress was $1200, on sale, not including alterations. I never had a real budget set, I didn't think I would want to go over $1000, but I absolutely fell in love with my dress.  Emily, <strong>the bustle around here, depending on which type you get can range from 80-200.  I guess it depends on where you are and what stores you go to.</strong>  I know I was told side seams usually don't run over $60. Other than that idk, I will find out at my fitting though lol. 
    Posted by heatherk2489[/QUOTE]

See, I think this is much more reasonable. It really doesn't matter where you go around here though, they charge an arm and a leg for it- there are a few salons around here that charge as much as $400 for bustling alone.
  • Options

My budget is $1500, not including alterations. Surprisingly, My final 3 dress choices are all under 1200, with the frontrunner being $800. I was completely shocked.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

I haven't went dress shopping yet but is $600-700 a realistic budget? I really don't want a fancy dress. I am having a beach wedding so would ideally like something long a flowy w/light material like chiffon or something.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

My budget was $1,500 plus alterations, but I ended up falling in love with a dress that cost $1,800. We didn't have to pay the whole amount right away (they took half when we bought it, and another half when I came to pick up the dress), so it made our decision to get it much easier.

Jen - for the type of dress you've descirbed I think your budget is very realistic.

Emily - the prices for alteration here differ so much depending on where you go, the salon where I got my dress gave me a quote of $600 for bustle and taking the dress in, but a few other places would work for around $200.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_dress-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:426305dd-7674-4558-ba0d-03b31134c0a5Post:2e0fa40d-c355-44a4-ac66-b1d48cf4d35b">Re: Dress budget</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't went dress shopping yet but is $600-700 a realistic budget? I really don't want a fancy dress. I am having a beach wedding so would ideally like something long a flowy w/light material like chiffon or something.
    Posted by jenjennjennifer[/QUOTE]

Based on the description of what you're looking for, I think $600-$700 is totally reasonable. You should be able to find what you're looking for within that price. Good luck!!
  • Options
    My budget is also $500.. I've not been dress shopping yet, but I've been looking around online. I've been VERY good at only looking at things that are in that price range... so far so good..
    June 2013 - July Sig Challenge - Venue

Photobucket Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Our dress budget was 1000. I found my dress at a bridal outlet and only paid 450. So I'm HOPING I can keep my whole ensemble under 1000. It would make my parents very happy!
    June 2013 Sig - E Rings!
  • Options

I have set a budget of $1500 for my dress (with alterations)... I'm hoping to stick to this but who knows what will happen once I start shopping!

• Options
    ems27ems27 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I set my budget at $1000 with the possibility to go up to $1250 to accomodate all of the specific dresses I wanted to try :-) 

Mine was $950,  $1260 once you add in the tiara, veil, garment bag and tax.  My petticoat was $60 but Mom bought that for me, and shoes $35. I'm aniticipating a couple hundred for alterations since it will need to be hemmed, maybe taken in, and certainly bustled, but the hem should be super easy.
    June 2013 August Sig Challenge
  • Options
    You all are ballers! haha

I'm going for as cheap as I can- nothing over $400.

I found one I love for 399- haha- hoping it goes on sale soon!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't really have a hard dress budget per say, but since I think I'll be paying for mine myself I'd like to spend no more than $1,000. I'll be David's Bridalling it up though, lol, so that should be easy.
  • Options
    ems27ems27 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_dress-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:426305dd-7674-4558-ba0d-03b31134c0a5Post:6e289c45-bb18-4b03-adba-d5a686634518">Re: Dress budget</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't really have a hard dress budget per say, but since I think I'll be paying for mine myself I'd like to spend no more than $1,000. I'll be David's Bridalling it up though, lol, so that should be easy.
    Posted by jshillings1[/QUOTE]

I did Alfred Angelo, they have lots in that price range too :-)
    June 2013 August Sig Challenge
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies!

Yeah, I figured a simple dress wouldn't cost me more than $700 or so (I hope!) and i'm not having a veil. It's the alterations i'm worried about! I'm planning on being a lot smaller by my wedding day! ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    My budget was $1500, but the dress ended up being only $800.
    Its not the destination so much as the journey, they say. - Captain Jack Sparrow Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My budget was $1000. My dress ended up being $600 and I got a free veil and belt. I am still unsure how I scored this deal. I haven't done alterations yet but I only need the bust taken in a little bit so I will still be under budget.
  • Options
    My budget was $1000 too with veil and alterations. I got my dress and veil for $800, tax included. I'm thinking I will come in just at budget with alterations since I shouldn't need too much done to the dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My budget was $2000. This is how much my mom can help pay for the wedding and she wanted to put it mostly toward the dress. The dress I found was 1200, with the veil it ended up being like 1375 or so. This is without alterations of course but i'm hoping even with alterations we will still be under $2000.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My budget for a dress was around $700 knowing that alterations could be pricey and I didn't want to spend over $1000 total on the dress. I was $75 over on dress price, but I think I'm only bustling (we'll see when the dress comes in and how it compares to the shoes) so I'll be under budget so I can afford my expensive veil! My future daughter better wear it! Lol.
  • Options
    My budget was roughly set at $1300 just for the dress but I ended up spending $1700 but got dream dress, jeweled veil, necklace and earrings for that amount. I'm hoping alterations won't be too much since ordered the dress in the shorter length so hopefully no hem and then only bustle and hopefully only slight alterations to sides. I ordered a size smaller then they recommended and I already tried on the sample again after losing some weight which is even a size smaller then what I ordered and that is already too big in some spots :/.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    After watching way to many Say yes to the Dress, I was sure I wouldn't find a dress for under $3000.  I went in planning on trying to find something around $1500 and ended up with a David's dress for $350.  I couldn't believe how inexpensive it was.  A lot I tried on that I loved were under $500.  My daughter's first prom dress was almost $500!  I don't know if quality wise it would last generations but that is ok, my daughter probably would not wear it anyways.

Oh, and the $500 prom dress came at a price...I told her she could have it but only on the condition that I have total say on her wedding dress. 
    June 2013 * March Siggy Challenge * Shoes
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My budget was about $600-1000 since I was paying for it and I found some great contenders online at the pricepoint but once I got to the salon, of course I picked more expensive ones to try on. My dress wound up being about $1300 plus a $240 belt that everyone I was with said I just HAD to have... but really, it DOES pull the whole dress together! And my parents decided to pay for the dress and belt above and beyond what I had budgeted so that was very nice of them! :)

Although I must say, I watch a lot of say yes to the dress too and not only did I think I might not have good luck with a smaller budget, I also almost felt like I was trying to find a dress that gave me the typical say yes to the dress reaction. I didn't get what I would call a typical reaction, just butterflies, wanting to check myself out from every angle, and asking the lady to pack it up and call it a day, hehe. Just something to think about as you a dress shopping since everyone is different!
  • Options
    I didn't really have a budget when going looking at dresses. My father's paying for the dress. I found a Sottero Midgley that will be mine as soon as I go in and order it. It's around $1,700.00 I LOVE it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards