June 2013 Weddings

Talk to me about catering

If you've booked your caterers, I need some input.

I've found one we really like (on paper) but I'm worried I'm going to get nickled and dimed to death. The pp charge is fairly inexpensive, but even with adding an 18% "administrative/operations" fee, travel charges and tax, the price is still within our budget. Here's what gets me...they don't include gratuity in the charges. I've never seen this before. When I asked the owner about it, she said they don't include gratuity, but the servers wages are part of the "administrative/operations" fee, and we're welcome to tip whatever we feel comfortable with. Also, she said she can't lock in the 2012 pricing for us since a lot can "vary" between now and June 2013. We'd pay a $250 deposit to hold the date, and would pay the 75% of the total cost a month before the wedding and the remaining 25% the day of the wedding.
Thoughts? I'm worried about getting nickled and dimed, not to mention the prices shooting up in 2013. THe owner said that inflation is generally 2%-6% depending on food costs and gas prices, however, she has had years that have gone up as much as 10%. Her company has a great reputation and has amazing reviews....
Thoughts?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Talk to me about catering

• I feel like, most of the vendors I have met with already have their pricing out for next year. Also if the tips are included in the administrative/operations fee thing, then why are they telling you to feel free to tip what you think is necessary?? Seems slightly shady to me. With my Venue, the gratuity is included in our service charge, and when i asked the coordinator at the venue about this she told me not to worry gratuity was included and came right out and told me that, and didn't try to encourage me to tip on top of it. You should probably check and see what the company has for reviews and ask your local board if any one has dealt with them before and if they have, ask them about how the gratuity works. That may be more helpful.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • The red flag I see is that you have to sign a contract before seeing the set pricing.  With gas prices rising, there is a good chance that food costs will go up because of the higher costs of transport.    What happens if they decide to inflate by 20% pushing you way over your budget?  You'd be stuck with them.

Every vendor I have signed with so far has either given me the 2012 prices or the 2013 prices if they have already been determined.  I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with it...
    ~*June 2013 Sig Challenge: Our Cake*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Yeah, I just don't have a good feeling about this company. It's a shame too, because they offer some really great food choices. *sigh* back to the drawing board!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards