June 2013 Weddings

Have you slacked off on planning more than you should have?

I HAVE!!
Me and FI have been engaged for about a year and a half now. A lot happened in the beginning that made us put things off such as moving in, deaths, family health problems, his schooling, etc. I know I can still pull off our wedding to make it great, but just get upset with myself thinking how much I have to get done yet.

Is all we've done so far is booked the church, reception hall, catering, floral appointment set, colors FINALLY picked, fmil FINALLY sent us the guest list after months of begging, and my dress is in.

I know we will have an amazing wedding no matter what, but I feel the pressure to have a great wedding is huge. Especially since I feel that we are the guinea pig wedding and that my parents could care less about me getting married as they think I should just have a Vegas wedding.

How do you ladies feel about your wedding and planning? I would love to hear your rants! I know I'm not the only one!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Have you slacked off on planning more than you should have?

• I feel like I should have gotten on the ball faster when we were first engaged in May, we decided to get married halfway between our families in order to not put a huge travel burden on either side. Because of this, we struggled to find a church in that area which would allow non-members to get married. It literally took us 3 months of phone calls and meetings with pastors to find the right church that was available on any of the days that our reception venue had left. So I stressed over the basics, and now am finding many other vendors (makeup, dj, florist) to be booked already :( My parents are also dragging their feet, having offered several times to pay for the wedding, and agreeing to the reception cost, but not giving us any other budget information, which makes it very difficult to make any further decisions. Ugh.
  • I should probably start looking at florists, but I just don't seem to have the time right now. I may have someone to make the cake. Fi and I decided against a DJ, but now I'm having second thoughts. I have no idea if I am going to have someone do my makeup or not. I need to call my hair gal and see about getting in to see her. FI keeps adding people to the guest list, thinking that most of them won't come, but if they do, we are totally screwed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're out of money and have to wait until closer to January to do anything else. Frown  I'm completely stressing over the money issues right now but FI keeps saying everything will be fine and we can wait to put deposits on the caterer and florist because we're doing really simple stuff (few flowers and buffet dinner from local grocery store).  In the meantime I'm working on DIY stuff that I can pay for out of what little money I have leftover after all the bills are paid...

As someone on this board previously said, weddings are expensive!  Money mouth
    June 2013 Sig Challenge - Shoes

Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I didn't think that I was slacking but hearing all this makes me think I am.

I have the venue, dj, caterer, florist, photographer confirmed. I'm waiting on confirmation email from the cake lady.

I just started dress shopping this week.

The venue comes with an officiant but FI wants to look around so we kind of have a backup plan I guess?

I haven't even thought about makeup/hair people yet and I'm hoping to get our Save the Dates ordered this week.

Now I'm stressing :-(
  • My caterer told me I'm ahead, so far I have: 
    dress, MOH has her dress, 1/7 BMs already ordered, the others are ordering by January, caterer (which includes: flowers, dj, food, cake, ceremony and reception decor), I am meeting with a rabbi on thursday, also the venue (ceremony is at the same place, but on the beach) is at my parents' building so that's done as well. 

The caterer sent me a timeline and list of things to do, and we'll be doing our tastings in january. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_have-you-slacked-off-on-planning-more-than-you-should-have?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:7f542669-9eba-4161-b31d-e84c1a179b03Post:53638601-47a5-458e-bad1-62436db9af3d">Re: Have you slacked off on planning more than you should have?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My caterer told me I'm ahead, so far I have:  dress, MOH has her dress, 1/7 BMs already ordered, the others are ordering by January, caterer (which includes: flowers, dj, food, cake, ceremony and reception decor), I am meeting with a rabbi on thursday, also the venue (ceremony is at the same place, but on the beach) is at my parents' building so that's done as well.  The caterer sent me a timeline and list of things to do, and we'll be doing our tastings in january. 
    Posted by NicoleMarcelle[/QUOTE]

Thanks for inducing my panic attack lol! ;)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_have-you-slacked-off-on-planning-more-than-you-should-have?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:7f542669-9eba-4161-b31d-e84c1a179b03Post:6517c138-c42d-4c12-9053-8904f8b6d98b">Re: Have you slacked off on planning more than you should have?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel like I should have gotten on the ball faster when we were first engaged in May, we decided to get married halfway between our families in order to not put a huge travel burden on either side. Because of this, we struggled to find a church in that area which would allow non-members to get married. It literally took us 3 months of phone calls and meetings with pastors to find the right church that was available on any of the days that our reception venue had left. So I stressed over the basics, and now am finding many other vendors (makeup, dj, florist) to be booked already :( My parents are also dragging their feet, having offered several times to pay for the wedding, and agreeing to the reception cost, but not giving us any other budget information, which makes it very difficult to make any further decisions. Ugh.
    Posted by FruitSnack84[/QUOTE]

Oh no! Are you getting married in a small town at all? I'm surprised so many things would be booked already! I know June is a busy month but, goodness! Hopefully it will work out for the best though. We had a lot of trouble finding a photogropher. This is the one thing I've been really, really picky about. After problems with other photographers booking multiple weddings on the same day, we found the PERFECT guy!! He's a ways away but cheaper and has amazing talent!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • you all still sound like you have SO much more done than me!!

I've got: venue. dress. caterer (comes with venue). colors. that's it.

fudge. I need to move it. Frown
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards