June 2013 Weddings
Options

It's Friday, Friday, Gotta Get Down on Friday.

Morning, girlies!! I'm pinch hitting for rmp today. Hope everyone's got some good plans for the weekend.

So at this point, it seems like we know a lot about each other, but I was thinking, sibilings have never really come up in conversation, other than in passing. Sooo....

*Do you have any siblings? Older? Younger? How many?
*What was (or still is) your favorite part about having siblings, or if you are an only child, what was your favorite part about that?
*What was your least favorite thing about having siblings or being an only child?

Re: It's Friday, Friday, Gotta Get Down on Friday.

• Options
    ...You know, I've never actually heard the original version of that song, but I am quite a fan of the Glee cover.

As far as the questions are concerned... I'm the eldest of four siblings, three girls and one boy. I get along best with my sister closest to my age. She's much like me - mature, driven, responsible at a young age. She's held the same job since she was in high school and is just now working elsewhere (her decision - she felt as though she outgrew the first job). She's been in a steady relationship with the same person for three years, and she's not even 20 yet. My brother and I are polar opposites and we try to have as little as possible to do with each other, which is a bit sad, I suppose. We've always been at odds, and we're finally old enough to say, "You know what? Ignoring each other is really best for us." We literally have nothing in common other than our parents. At his age, I was a parent, I'd been living on my own for a few years, and I was working steadily. I suppose that I should be grateful that he isn't a parent... but he's very much in a "everybody oppresses me, my life is awful, I want to go see the world," but he still wants it to be fully funded. Um. No. My youngest sister is very much a teenager, is always in her room when I'm visiting, etc. She was quite young when my tiny human was born, so they behave much like siblings, antagonizing and playfully terrorizing each other, etc.

The best thing about having siblings is that your parents aren't focused solely on you. I hate to say it, but I always love when one of them is in the figurative doghouse, because then I feel as though I've got a bit more leeway (and it makes my responsible self look like a prize!). Now that I'm older, I'm not certain what the worst thing is about having siblings. I don't really have to worry about it now. It was worse when we were young and could never get any space, but now that we're older, it's not as much of an issue.

I'm constantly mistaken for my youngest sister, though. That gets awkward.
    June 2013 Signature Challenge
    Favorite Sports Team
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
              I have a sister she is only 11 1/2 months younger than me (24) but we have a weird, almost maternal relationship. I always wanted an older brother though, to look up to and felt alot of pressure being the older sibling. She has a slight learning disability and I was slightly advanced so when my parents got divorced I tried to shield her. Unfortunately, fast forward 10 years and I am still worrying about what she will do when I finally get married and move in with my husband in June. :/
            I think the best part about being having a sister is she understands just how crazy our parents are and doesn't judge me or try and give me advice when I'm having a bad day- she's one of those rare people who will just listen to you. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"So it's not gonna be easy. It's going to be really hard; we're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me... everyday."~The Notebook~
  • Options
    I have 1 brother who is about 2 & 1/2 years younger than me. 

*What was (or still is) your favorite part about having siblings?
    I always had someone to play with. When we were younger we would make up all kinds of games to play together. My mom hates flying so when we went to Disney, in FL, we always drove there (I'm from MA) so there was someone to keep me occupied in the car. We're still really close and it's been great to have hime not only as a brother but now as a friend too. 

*What was your least favorite thing about having siblings?
    I didn't like getting everything I wanted (spoiled I know). I had some only child friends whos parents bought them everything they wanted. I didn't want for anything growing up but I wasn't spoiled like them. I'm happy about that now though because I'm not a spoiled brat and get along well with my brother.

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_its-friday-friday-gotta-get-down-on-friday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:db4e5364-3fac-44e7-96fe-9e872e8f1a46Post:1c14000e-ef44-47bc-bf78-f2021dca6e3d">Re: It's Friday, Friday, Gotta Get Down on Friday.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: It's Friday, Friday, Gotta Get Down on Friday. : This is pretty much how my 24 y/o brother and I are now. I talk with his girlfriend a lot, but he and I just kind of pretend the other doesn't exist, except at family gatherings.  But then again, I've kind of become the black sheep, because I finally started standing up to our mother, but that's a different story, for a different time. And also, I love that you refer to your offspring (do you have a son or daughter?) as a tiny human. Whenever FI and I talk about kids, I refer to them as tiny humans. :)
    Posted by TheMissusLia[/QUOTE]

That's essentially how things are for us.

I'm a bit of a Grey's fan (and I shamelessly borrowed "tiny human" from Jessica Capshaw's character). :) Literally every female in my extended family went into the medical profession in some way, so watching Grey's reminds me of childhood. (FI and I had him at the tail end of our teen years. It's been a journey.)
    June 2013 Signature Challenge
    Favorite Sports Team
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I have two younger brothers, and two older half sisters.

I like how close my brothers and I are now. One of them comes over to my house a few times a week just to hang out. (Granted he always empties out the fridge)

When I was younger I HATED having brothers and sisters, I hated the competition for attention and I hated that favourites were played among us.
    Its not the destination so much as the journey, they say. - Captain Jack Sparrow Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, one brother, 2 1/2 years older than me.

This is so sad and terrible of me but my favorite part of having my brother around was that he was an average student and I always had high grades.  Of course, it never got me anything from anyone but my dad because my parents were always getting after my brother for being a D and C student.  I decided early on if I couldn't get my mom's praise for being a good student then I was going to enjoy the fact that my brother was always in trouble over grades and doing stupid stuff while in school.  Funny story: one time his friend threw french fries at him in the lunch room.  He threw some back and got busted for it and my parents got called by the school.  Brother got in BIG trouble over that one, LOL.

I was the baby so I never got to do ANYTHING.  Literally.  I went nowhere, did nothing and so ended up having very few friends and being a sideliner in high school.  My mom even insisted on being a chaperone on my high school band trip to "keep an eye" on me.  

I don't talk to my brother much.  We're starting to talk more but he isn't much of a conversationalist (he's not very comfortable in social situations I think).  We'll never be close which makes me kind of sad but FI has 2 brothers and they give me enough H*ll to cover what I miss out on with my own brother, LOL.
    June 2013 Sig Challenge - Shoes

Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_its-friday-friday-gotta-get-down-on-friday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:db4e5364-3fac-44e7-96fe-9e872e8f1a46Post:a48ddef8-f3bc-4c42-b9e1-639534d7aff3">Re: It's Friday, Friday, Gotta Get Down on Friday.</a>:
    [QUOTE] I hated the competition for attention and I hated that favourites were played among us.
    Posted by Tlanute[/QUOTE]

<div>I feel your pain.  I think my mom favored my brother completely.  Maybe that's because I ended up being a daddy's girl and not the frilly little flower she hoped for, LOL.  Just call me tomboy!</div>
    June 2013 Sig Challenge - Shoes

Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for helping me out today Emily, and thanks Lia for doing accountability. My situation is very weird/different than most. My dad was married before he married my mom, and he had 2 kids with her, a boy and a girl. When they were teenagers, almost 20s, my dad married my mom and they had me. So I have a half brother and half sister much older than me, and I did not grow up with them. I essentially grew up as an only child. What I like about it, I liked my parents attention and the fact my mom could help me with things, like cars, clothes, the wedding etc. What I didn't like, I always said growing up I wished my parents would have another kid. If my patents couldn't play with me, I had to play alone. When I got older it didn't matter because I had tons of friends, so I wasn't bored or lonely. My half sister however had a daughter, who is actually a year older than me. She's technically my niece, weird I know. We lived about 2 hours apart, but my dad and sister would take us to play all the time and have sleepovers. We sort of grew up like sisters, but not really because we didn't live together. We were just super close and still are pretty close. My sister had another daughter who is 6 years younger than me, so she was like the little sister I never wanted, lol. But we are close now too, and both of them are BMs. Today, I'm close with my sister and its more a sisterly bond. We confide in each other a lot, hang out, get drinks. My brother, I'd like to be closer to him but life gets in the way. He's got too little ones, and his wife is super close to her family, so they always take priority which is Sucky. My sister and brother will both do readings at my wedding. And that's my long story, lol.
    Honeymoon Destination - Hawaii image
  • Options
    heatherk2489heatherk2489 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    I absolutely hate that song! It always manages to get stuck in my head :/

I have 2 sisters and 2 brothers. 
    Only one younger sister(14), everyone else is older. Sister(30), Brother(28), Brother (26)
    However, I have only met one of my brothers, my mom put both boys up for adoption when they were born. I found one on myspace, (geeze that was forever ago) and the other found my grandparents. 
    I have yet to meet the one I found on the internet, but I have invited him, and the mother of his unborn child to the wedding. I really hope they can make it. They live in new york though, and lost just about everything with sandy :/

My favorite part about growing up with my sisters, was the bond we all formed. Seeing as I am 9 years from my younger sister, and 7 years from my older one, we are all very different people but idk we just fit. They are pretty much my lifelines. :)

Worst part would be the hand me downs lol. I always got my sisters old clothes. With my younger sister, it was people paying attention to me. It wasn't awful, but everything was ALWAYS about her. Plus I grew up as the middle child, so naturally we are the least payed attention to lol. 

ETA: I just wanted to add that not one of my siblings if of the same mother and father. We all have different fathers, and I am sure they went off and had more children so I am sure we have other half siblings as well. Yay for that lol. 
    June 2013 Sig Challenge - Shoes!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I do. I have one older sister (27) and one younger half sister (5) (my mom got pregnant about a year after her and my step dad got married. She ended up giving her up for adoption to friends of those but i see her all the time and she calls me her sister)

My older sister is my best friend. When my parents got divorced we were each others rock. We may be 6 hours apart but we talk all the time!

My parents favored my sister! It stunk but its ok!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I have an older brother. He's 26 and an ex-Marine, so he's pretty badass. We aren't terribly close, but we get along and he'd do anything to protect me.

*What was (or still is) your favorite part about having siblings, or if you are an only child, what was your favorite part about that?
    I liked that I always had someone to talk to or hang out with. We used to play video games together as kids, it was the way we bonded.

*What was your least favorite thing about having siblings or being an only child?
    I always felt that my brother got more, was paid more attention to, or got away with more since he was the first born and coddled more. He's a huge mama's boy still and he still pretty much gets whatever he wants out of my parents. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Do you have any siblings? Older? Younger? How many?
    I have a younger brother, he is about 2 1/2 years younger than me.
    What was (or still is) your favorite part about having siblings?
    We've always been pretty close, so I liked having someone to play with when I was younger and someone to talk/hang out with when both of us got older. When I was in college it was nice to have him cover for me, I liked to party and he never really did, so sometimes when my parents couldn't get a hold of me he came up with stories about where I was to make them less worried.

What was your least favorite thing about having siblings?
    Since I was the older child my parents always had higher expectation of me, and that made me mad sometimes. Like in middle school I was expected to get all As and not allowed to go out until my homework was done, and my brother had it much easier, so I didn't like that much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Lets see if I can remember them all...4 sisters, two brothers, 20 years between the oldest and youngest and I am #6 of the 7.  My mother laughs and says we all were mistakes and only came about because my dad would get deployed.  Oh, and this is so gross, she one time said to me he had bedroom eyes.  Gross coming from a woman in her 80's...lol.

Having lots of love and support.  I never would have made it through caring for my husband and his death without them.  Seriously, them and my daughter are the reason I am alive.  And now taking care of our parent's it is great that there are so many of us to share the burden and because I have so much experience with dr's and insurance, they've been able to lean on me this time.

There is just so many of them to get into a stupid fight with!  But we always, always have eachother's backs and the fights don't last long.  I also get sad sometimes because 2 of my sisters are old enough to be my mom so I will go through losing my real mom and then losing them.
    June 2013 * March Siggy Challenge * Shoes
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You all are welcome for the fact that you'll be singing Rebecca Black all weekend. : How many siblings do you have? I'm the oldest of 5!! kids. I'm 28, my twin sisters are 25, my little sister is 15, and my little brother just turned 14. So there's a 13 and 15 year gap between me and the two little ones. All I can figure is that us older girls gave my parents such a hard time that they needed a lot of recovery time before having more kids. Favorite part of having siblings: I loved having builtin playmates when I was a kid. Now that the twins and I are older, we're getting better at being friends and we enjoy spending time together a lot more as long as no one is stealing, er, borrowing the others' clothes. I also like getting to be the "cool" big sister to my little brother and sister. Fun fact: the twins are fraternal, and one of them looks exactly like me lucky girl. People still think we're the twins. Least favorite part of having siblings: The endless competition for my parents' attention. Also, when I was in high school, I really didn't care for being mistaken for my little brother and sister's mother. I also wish that I was closer to my little brother and sister, but it's hard because for most of their lives, I've lived at least an hour away from them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards