Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Would you eat this cake?

Hey all,

My MOH's dad is making our wedding cake, and I'm really excited about it!  Now I'm just trying to think of a flavor, and I wanted to throw it out there and see how it sounds to you.

I'm thinking white cake, with a layer of chocolate mousse or ganache, with either cream cheese or buttercream frosting, topped with strawberries.  I love cream cheese frosting, but I know not everyone does, so that's why I might have buttercream. 

How does that sound?  Do you think that the majority of our guests would enjoy that?  My concerns with this are a) are the strawberries acceptable?  It's a summer wedding.  People don't have to eat them, and since it's not a common allergy, I want to make sure I'm in the clear.  And b) Is one flavor acceptable?  I don't want to stress out my MOH's dad too much that day by requring multiple flavors and fancy decorations.  To me, a cake doesn't have to be complicated, just delicious.  I've never been to a wedding where I've had a choice of cake (aside from cupcakes), and have always been fine with the selection.

What do you think?  Yay?  Nay?  I'm open to modifications or completely new ideas if you have them!  Thanks everyone!

Edit: Also, how many layers should I have?  Is one layer of filling enough?  Or should I go for 2?

Re: Would you eat this cake?

• Hello! Yes I'd eat that cake and it sounds great. Just curious if you're worried about the summer heat/humidity? If you think that will be an issue then you might want to keep that in mind. Buttercream frosting and strawberries could be a mess if left out for too long in a warm or humid space or car. 

"It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Thanks for replying! 

As far as I know, none of our VIPs have those allergies or have migraine triggers from chocolate.  Same goes for our guests.   I'll double check with the VIPs to make sure.

I'm not terribly worried about the heat/humidity, even if I do have buttercream.  The cake will be dropped off at the reception site before the ceremony and they've assured me that it can be kept cold until it has to be taken out.  I should check and see if our site has A/C.  That would help!

Thanks for your input!
  • I've never met a single person with a strawberry allergy, and haven't heard much about it either.  I can pretty much guarantee that nobody on my side or in our WP has allergies to it. But hey, my own ignorance shouldn't dictate this.  I'm trying to think of what's best for everyone, and not have it revolve around what I think tastes good.  If people aren't a fan of strawberries that's one thing, but I don't want to mess with people's allergies.  My FI and I LOVE strawberries, but I can do without them if that's what people think is best.  He'll take some convincing though, and probably won't budge.  In that case, I'd have some on the top tier and that's it.  Any other thoughts on what else I can top each layer with?
  • I think it sounds yummy! I would also prefer buttercream frosting over cream cheese frosting with this kind of cake. Maybe you could put just a few strawberries on top of the cake, and have more on the side for people who want them. 
  • I will say that my aunt who raised me and at least one of my cousins ARE allergic to strawberries.  I have allergies too but thankfully not to strawberries.  I'm a strawberry freak and would love the cake you are proposing.  Because I am an allergy sufferer I have pretty much always known that strawberry allergies are fairly common.  I so pity those people.

I would stick with the buttercream as people either really like cream cheese frosting or they hate it.  (feel bad for them too).  Buttercream is a safer bet as far as all around appeal.
  • I would definitely eat it, but agree with PP about buttercream. And if you are only having one flavor, I would maybe have a strawberry sauce on the side, or fresh strawberries so people can add their own, JIC of allergies or people not liking strawberries.
  • As well as possible allergies, there are others who can't eat seeds (including strawberry seeds) or nuts due to a disorder called "di-re-tic-u-litus." ( think that's the spelling but too lazy to check and confirm).  My stepmother and my mom both have this.  Eating seeds and nuts causes these people major gastrointestinal issues.
  • Wow, I hadn't heard of the allergy to the seeds!  It definitely sounds like it would be safer to have guests choose to add strawberries, but how would the logistics work?  If the cake ends up being served to each guest, how do they know to go get the berries?  If we end up having them at a table somewhere, it'll be more obvious.  So, I'm just not sure about how that will go down.

I agree, it probably will be safer to use buttercream, because it is more popular.  I'm so afraid everything will melt though!  (same goes for cream cheese).  How do people normally deal with this?  I've heard fondant holds up well, but I really despise it.  What did you all do about the melting issue?  I'll talk to my friend's dad and our reception and see if they have any ideas too.  Thanks again!
  • With fondant, most bakers will still ice the cake with butter cream and then lay the fondant over it. The people cutting the cake can peel the fondant off before serving. As far as the strawberries, you could place a serving dish/bowl on each table if the cake is being served table side. But honestly as a guest I prefer to get up and get my own slice, that way I can choose the "perfect" one.
  • I was leaning towards just having guests select their own piece.  We're having a buffet style dinner, so I thought it might be weird to have served cake when the food wasn't.  I like to pick the perfect piece too!

Now that you mention it, the cake does sound a little sweet!  I was leaning towards the mousse anyway, because it's so delicious!  I've never actually had ganache, but from what I heard it sounds tasty.  I'm glad to know your cake stood up to the humidity!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_would-you-eat-this-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:159ff3a0-cfdb-48a7-a0e5-d9fa393fbed4Post:16d16f81-b8fa-45aa-a6dd-5e90a26ea162">Re: Would you eat this cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As well as possible allergies, there are others who can't eat seeds (including strawberry seeds) or nuts due to a disorder called "di-re-tic-u-litus." ( think that's the spelling but too lazy to check and confirm).  My stepmother and my mom both have this.  Eating seeds and nuts causes these people major gastrointestinal issues.
    Posted by Ella and Pedro[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>It is diverticulosis/diverticulitis.  The "osis" is the chronic disease and the "Itis" is when it flares up and you get inflammation/infection in your colon.  I have a fairly severe case of it.  There is a lot of debate in the medical community regarding the nuts/seeds issue.  There are articles out there that say you must avoid them, and there are articles out there that say there is no data to support it.</div><div>
    </div><div>I eat seeds and nuts all the time, but that is a decision I made with my GI doctor.  NOT a decision I can make or judge for others.  If I am having an "itis" attack there are definitely no seeds, no nuts, no popcorn - just low residue processed food like white bread, white rice, no high fiber at all until it settles down again and the inflammation is gone.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Like I said, there is debate in the medical community about it.  Some swear  by the no seeds nuts ever, and some think it is an old wives tale.  Everyone needs to discuss this with their Dr and make the best informed decision they can make.  That is what I did.</div><div>
    </div><div>Strawberry season in my house is like hunting season on Duck Cynasty.  Pretty sacred stuff.  :)

</div>
  • have cup cakes for those with allergies.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Having a few cupcakes is a great idea!  I hadn't considered that!  Thank you!
  • Buttercream WILL melt depending on the type of buttercream!!!! Some buttercreams will hold, others will definetly not. Test it!
  • chocolate cake filled dark chocolate ganache and topped with a raspberry butter cream i make cupcakes with the same flavors and its amazing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards