Registry and Gift Forum

What to Register for?

We are busy planning for a wedding next June, so have some time to work on a registry... the thing is, we are very lucky to have lots of the things that we need already. My fiance and I have been living together for several years now, so the typical sheets/towels/dishware items aren't things we necessarily need. We've heard some suggestions to mention gift cards to home improvement stores (we're always renovating something in the house), big name stores (macy's, BBB, target, amazon, etc that we could put towards whatever we wanted), furniture stores (though i've never seen anyone register for furniture before...) and the ever-controversial honeymoon registry. 

Any suggestions??

Re: What to Register for?

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Don't mention gift cards. That's the same as asking for cash, which=rude.

Create a small registry of "upgrade" items. Things like new flatware, updated/matching serving/entertaining pieces, kitchen electronics, upgraded towels/sheets, glassware for every type of drink imaginable, etc.
  • <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_what-to-register-for-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:cd36669f-09cc-4009-bfca-04fca8faf02dPost:4b84fa3c-eae6-4b57-8e3b-afb4f48d8c0d">What to Register for?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are busy planning for a wedding next June, so have some time to work on a registry... the thing is, we are very lucky to have lots of the things that we need already. My fiance and I have been living together for several years now, so the typical sheets/towels/dishware items aren't things we necessarily need. We've heard some suggestions to mention gift cards to home improvement stores (we're always renovating something in the house), big name stores (macy's, BBB, target, amazon, etc that we could put towards whatever we wanted), furniture stores (though i've never seen anyone register for furniture before...) and the ever-controversial honeymoon registry.  Any suggestions??
    Posted by michbrad3[/QUOTE]

Stay far away from honeymoon registries, and don't register for gift cards.  Asking people for money is very very rude and tacky.  Most couples live together so your situation is not unique.  Register for upgrades.  Upgrade your sheets/towels/decor.  If you truly do no need anything, just spread by word of mouth that you don't want any gifts.  FH and I are doing that.  We have everything we need, and do not want gifts. 
    </div>
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_what-to-register-for-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:cd36669f-09cc-4009-bfca-04fca8faf02dPost:8e5fb1a8-7f56-40de-9c8e-0b4bbd4cfd9c">Re: What to Register for?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to What to Register for? : Stay far away from honeymoon registries, and don't register for gift cards.  Asking people for money is very very rude and tacky.  Most couples live together so your situation is not unique.  Register for upgrades.  Upgrade your sheets/towels/decor. <strong> If you truly do no need anything, just spread by word of mouth that you don't want any gifts.  FH and I are doing that.  We have everything we need, and do not want gifts. 
    </strong>Posted by antibride2013[/QUOTE]

This may work in some circles, but it can be a risky tactic. I could see it working for a small wedding or a second wedding.

In my circle, it is popular to give a physical gift. If you don't register, you end up with a bunch of tschotchkes that aren't your taste.

Just the facts. The OP will have to know her crowd on that one.
  • Thanks for the suggestions! The upgrades are nice - but it just feels like we're asking for things we don't need... There really is nothing wrong with the dishes/flatware/etc that we already own - it almost seems like a waste of people's money. I do realize most people would like to give a physical gift, so that makes it tough.

• How about kitchen tools? I've been living on my own for about eight years, so I already have a lot of stuff, but there are some things, like a blender, that I would like to have but just never got around to buying. Also take a look at your pans. Nonstick skillets wear out, and need to be replaced occasionally. If your pans are showing any wear-and-tear, you might want to add those to your registry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I am really looking forward to registering for a new vacuum.  We will also put an air mattress with built in pump on the registry; nice to have for extra guests or if we go camping/stay somewhere where it will be helpful.
  • FancypantsamyFancypantsamy member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2013
    Do you have outdoor space? Crate and Barrel and Target both have really nice lines of ourdoor stuff - maybe a nicer grill and grill tools, some pretty cushions for your outdoor furniture, a set of nice melamine plates and plastic cups for outdoor dining, a table cloth for your picnic table, some yard games like bocce ball and a nice cooler? My friend in your situation registered for stuff like that and now she has the best house for summer cookouts.

Also, try going someplace like William Sonoma where they have a lot of interesting off beat cooking tools - you could always get some fancy cookbooks and gadgets that might be fun. They also have kits for things like growing your own herbs and making your own cheese or candy, which might be fun if you and FI are into that. I know they sound expensive but they actually have quite a few nice midrange priced gifts as well.

Also look in your living room - do you want some fresh throw pillows and a nice blanket for the couch? What about a new wall clock, pretty mirror by the door or some swanky candle holders? I got a really nice silver leaf dish at my shower that looks great on my coffee table now, and a new end table lamp and I'm so glad I registered for those things. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Go for some physical items that are maybe a little different than what you have.  If you do alot of home improvement do a registry for tools or other items for the house (think Sears, Home Depot type stuff).  Maybe look at things that you currently have a mixed set of and get a new matching set, such as entertainment pieces.  

I'd suggest thinking of places you would like gift cards to.  Think of what you would spend those gift cards on then register for stuff along those lines.  For example, if you want a piece of bar furniture from crate and barrel, register for the bar set too.  I think it's ok to register for some big ticket items, such as furniture, as long as you tie in some lower cost options too.  

Bottom line - you've got to give them something more than just money, gift cards or money for your honeymoon.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards