Moms and Maids
Options

FSIL drama!!!

Hello fellow brides, I'm going to try to make this short! So my fiance has two sisters. I asked them both to be bridesmaids a year ago, literally five minutes after we got engaged. They were so excited and helped me pick out the dresses, etc. At the time, I was super close to both of them. I have always loved his family and they have always loved me, but lately I have gotten strange vibes. My fiance's father has just come back into the picture, so obviously he does not know the details of our situation. He and my dad finally met, and during their conversation my dad got the vibe that his father thinks I am taking advantage of his son because I am still in school and not working, while his son is working 60+ hours a week to pay for our wedding. I can definitely understand this from an outsider's point of view, but I am in a very difficult engineering program and was failing my classes while trying to work at the same time, and we both came to the consensus that it would be better for me to not have a job while I finish school. However, what nobody knows is that I had quite a bit of money saved up prior to the wedding and used all the extras from my students loans to help pay for it, so in the end, we have both contributed equally.

Moving on, my fiance's oldest sister is extremely protective over the family because of what they have been through over the years, and I think she is starting to feel the same way as her father. Every time I try to talk to her about the wedding, she acts like she doesn't want to hear it. I paid for BOTH of their bridesmaid dresses AND shoes because they couldn't afford it. Now, we are planning my bachelorette party, and they are saying they can't come because, again, they can't afford it. Now, I understand one of them can't because she's 16, but the older one is 22 and works full time while living with her mom. She is notorious for spending frivolously, and it never bothered me until now. Am I wrong to think she isn't putting enough effort into this? I don't care about the money, I just feel like she doesn't care enough to be there. Two of the other girls attending are coming from out of state and are in just as bad of a financial situation. The sister and I used to be so close, but now I am closer to her sister. She just told me she wouldn't be able to make the party this morning, and we kind of got into it over text messaging. I expressed my concerns about everyone's misconceptions of my relationship with my fiance, and she was just kind of bitchy about the whole thing. Meanwhile, my maid of honor and best friend is pissed because she thinks I shouldn't put up with this. The people who agreed to be in my bridal party should WANT to be in it. And I KNOW if this was one of my FSIL's friends' bachelorette, she would be there in a heartbeat. 

We planned the party for after my shower, so we wouldn't even be going out to dinner. We got a $225 hotel room in New Orleans (we live about an hour away), and we just plan on having a good time. We have five or six other girls attending, so the cost of the hotel room would be less than $50 per person. Is this too much?! The last bachelorette party I attended, I spent $100+! I definitely was not in a financial position to do that, and I wasn't even a bridesmaid, but I did it because the bride was a good friend. 

My maid of honor thinks I should kick her out of the bridal party. I paid for her dress and shoes and drove an hour out of my way to pick up her dress for her because she "didn't have time." Every time I come in town, I try to get together with her, but she is always "busy." I end up hanging out with her little sister, who honestly acts more mature. Her sister has been more than supportive and has even tried to give me her Christmas/babysitting money to pay for her dress! I hate to say this because we used to be so close, but I honestly don't want this girl in my wedding anymore, but the last thing I want to do is start unnecessary drama with someone who will be in my life forever, and I don't want to be ostracized by the rest of my fiance's family! 

HELP! What should I do?!?

Re: FSIL drama!!!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_fsil-drama?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:93730086-9a4d-4da5-b8f0-c7c263bf09caPost:9286b998-1319-4f17-a0f7-6621b2e0124b">FSIL drama!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello fellow brides, I'm going to try to make this short! So my fiance has two sisters. I asked them both to be bridesmaids a year ago, literally five minutes after we got engaged. They were so excited and helped me pick out the dresses, etc. At the time, I was super close to both of them. I have always loved his family and they have always loved me, but lately I have gotten strange vibes. My fiance's father has just come back into the picture, so obviously he does not know the details of our situation. He and my dad finally met, and during their conversation my dad got the vibe that his father thinks I am taking advantage of his son because I am still in school and not working, while his son is working 60+ hours a week to pay for our wedding. I can definitely understand this from an outsider's point of view, but I am in a very difficult engineering program and was failing my classes while trying to work at the same time, and we both came to the consensus that it would be better for me to not have a job while I finish school. However, what nobody knows is that I had quite a bit of money saved up prior to the wedding and used all the extras from my students loans to help pay for it, so in the end, we have both contributed equally. Moving on, my fiance's oldest sister is extremely protective over the family because of what they have been through over the years, and I think she is starting to feel the same way as her father. Every time I try to talk to her about the wedding, she acts like she doesn't want to hear it. I paid for BOTH of their bridesmaid dresses AND shoes because they couldn't afford it. <strong>Now, we are planning my bachelorette party, and they are saying they can't come because, again, they can't afford it.</strong> Now, I understand one of them can't because she's 16, but the older one is 22 and works full time while living with her mom. <strong>She is notorious for spending frivolously, and it never bothered me until now.</strong> Am I wrong to think she isn't putting enough effort into this? I don't care about the money, I just feel like she doesn't care enough to be there. Two of the other girls attending are coming from out of state and are in just as bad of a financial situation. The sister and I used to be so close, but now I am closer to her sister. She just told me she wouldn't be able to make the party this morning, and we kind of got into it over text messaging. I expressed my concerns about everyone's misconceptions of my relationship with my fiance, and she was just kind of bitchy about the whole thing. Meanwhile, my maid of honor and best friend is pissed because she thinks I shouldn't put up with this. The people who agreed to be in my bridal party should WANT to be in it. And I KNOW if this was one of my FSIL's friends' bachelorette, she would be there in a heartbeat.  <strong>We planned the party for after my shower, so we wouldn't even be going out to dinner. We got a $225 hotel room in New Orleans (we live about an hour away), and we just plan on having a good time. We have five or six other girls attending, so the cost of the hotel room would be less than $50 per person. Is this too much?! </strong>The last bachelorette party I attended, I spent $100+! I definitely was not in a financial position to do that, and I wasn't even a bridesmaid, but I did it because the bride was a good friend.  My maid of honor thinks I should kick her out of the bridal party. I paid for her dress and shoes and drove an hour out of my way to pick up her dress for her because she "didn't have time." Every time I come in town, I try to get together with her, but she is always "busy." I end up hanging out with her little sister, who honestly acts more mature. Her sister has been more than supportive and has even tried to give me her Christmas/babysitting money to pay for her dress! I hate to say this because we used to be so close, but I honestly don't want this girl in my wedding anymore, but the last thing I want to do is start unnecessary drama with someone who will be in my life forever, and I don't want to be ostracized by the rest of my fiance's family!  HELP! What should I do?!?
    Posted by jackiebrim[/QUOTE]

First of all, you should not be planning your bachelorette party. Parties are gifts and are not required.

If your FSIL is not able to afford a dress, she probably can't afford to pitch in towards bachelorette party even it's $50. And, you shouldn't judge how people spend their money even if its frivolous. Did you ask your FSIL what her dress budget is?

The purpose of a wedding party is to honor people who are close to you regardless of their financial situations.
  • Options
    Your financial arrangement with your fi is a private matter. Who told FFIL about it? Your Fi? You and he need to agree not to discuss finances with anyone else.

As for the bp.  You can't force anyone to accept an invitation to your bp. It's not your business if they're otherwise frivolous with their money. Accept that they aren't going to be there and enjoy the friends who are happy to celebrate with you. 

Tell your MOH to mind her business. It would be absolutely horrible for you to kick anyone out of your wedding party. You would be setting yourself up for a lifetime of awkward holiday dinners after insulting your Fi's sisters. Don't let your wedding related events ruin the relationship you have with your future family.

• Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_fsil-drama?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:93730086-9a4d-4da5-b8f0-c7c263bf09caPost:9286b998-1319-4f17-a0f7-6621b2e0124b">FSIL drama!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello fellow brides, I'm going to try to make this short! So my fiance has two sisters. I asked them both to be bridesmaids a year ago, literally five minutes after we got engaged. They were so excited and helped me pick out the dresses, etc. At the time, I was super close to both of them. I have always loved his family and they have always loved me, but lately I have gotten strange vibes. My fiance's father has just come back into the picture, so obviously he does not know the details of our situation. He and my dad finally met, and during their conversation my dad got the vibe that his father thinks I am taking advantage of his son because I am still in school and not working, while his son is working 60+ hours a week to pay for our wedding. I can definitely understand this from an outsider's point of view, but I am in a very difficult engineering program and was failing my classes while trying to work at the same time, and we both came to the consensus that it would be better for me to not have a job while I finish school. However, what nobody knows is that I had quite a bit of money saved up prior to the wedding and used all the extras from my students loans to help pay for it, so in the end, we have both contributed equally. Moving on, my fiance's oldest sister is extremely protective over the family because of what they have been through over the years, and I think she is starting to feel the same way as her father. Every time I try to talk to her about the wedding, she acts like she doesn't want to hear it. I paid for BOTH of their bridesmaid dresses AND shoes because they couldn't afford it. Now, we are planning my bachelorette party, and they are saying they can't come because, again, they can't afford it. Now, I understand one of them can't because she's 16, but the older one is 22 and works full time while living with her mom. She is notorious for spending frivolously, and it never bothered me until now. Am I wrong to think she isn't putting enough effort into this? I don't care about the money, I just feel like she doesn't care enough to be there. Two of the other girls attending are coming from out of state and are in just as bad of a financial situation. The sister and I used to be so close, but now I am closer to her sister. She just told me she wouldn't be able to make the party this morning, and we kind of got into it over text messaging. I expressed my concerns about everyone's misconceptions of my relationship with my fiance, and she was just kind of bitchy about the whole thing. Meanwhile, my maid of honor and best friend is pissed because she thinks I shouldn't put up with this. The people who agreed to be in my bridal party should WANT to be in it. And I KNOW if this was one of my FSIL's friends' bachelorette, she would be there in a heartbeat.  We planned the party for after my shower, so we wouldn't even be going out to dinner. We got a $225 hotel room in New Orleans (we live about an hour away), and we just plan on having a good time. We have five or six other girls attending, so the cost of the hotel room would be less than $50 per person. Is this too much?! The last bachelorette party I attended, I spent $100+! I definitely was not in a financial position to do that, and I wasn't even a bridesmaid, but I did it because the bride was a good friend.  My maid of honor thinks I should kick her out of the bridal party. I paid for her dress and shoes and drove an hour out of my way to pick up her dress for her because she "didn't have time." Every time I come in town, I try to get together with her, but she is always "busy." I end up hanging out with her little sister, who honestly acts more mature. Her sister has been more than supportive and has even tried to give me her Christmas/babysitting money to pay for her dress! I hate to say this because we used to be so close, but I honestly don't want this girl in my wedding anymore, but the last thing I want to do is start unnecessary drama with someone who will be in my life forever, and I don't want to be ostracized by the rest of my fiance's family!  HELP! What should I do?!?
    Posted by jackiebrim[/QUOTE]

Wow. No you should not kick your FSIL out of your wedding party. She is going to be family. Presumably she is going to be around forever, do you really want to ruin your relationship with her over a bachelorette party? And it doesn't sound like she has done anything wrong.

A few comments. You should not be planning your Bach party. And you have no right  to comment on how FSIL spends her money. It is none of your business. While $50 might not be a lot of money to you for bach party it might be a ton of money to her. And if all of your BMs are in bad financial states, why are you asking them to spend money they don't have?

Also, all the extra parties like showers and bachelorette are not mandatory for the wedding party to attend. If FSIL cant make, oh well.

I don't see what your FFIL has to do with anything. But if you think FSIL has an issue you and your FI's relationship, talk to her like an adult. Don't bring up the wedding party.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Relationships change. You shouldn't have asked anyone until 6 months before the wedding. You said it yourself, kicking her out will cause drama. So don't do it. The dress has been bought the only thing left that is required of your BM is to show up on your wedding day. You also shouldn't be throwing your own bacholorette party. I'm not sure if you are, it wasn't really clear in your post. It is also none of your business how your BM spends her money.
  • Options
    STOP tattling about his sister to the rest of your bridal party!!  You are just flaming the fires here.  It is NONE of their business and she is about to become family.  Agreed, it is absolutely none of your business how she spends her money.

Go to your bach party.  Have a great time.  The only thing his sister has to do is show up on time, sober, smile for pics and stand beside you during the wedding.  Don't expect anything more and you won't be disappointed.

As far as the FFIL thing.  Do you know if FFIL has said anything to your FI?  You said your dad got the "vibe" FFIL thought you were after FI's money.  A vibe is not a credible source.  While your dad just met the man, he did, indeed, just meet the man so it could have been miscommunication.

Stop worrying about what they think.  It doesn't matter.  As long as you and FI are square that is all that matters.

Do not fire her from your wedding.  She will be family forever and she has done nothing to deserve that.  And, again, stop telling this to the other BM's!
  • Options
    First thing I want to clear up, I am not throwing a bachelorette party for myself. My maid of honor is planning it but decided to include me because I know the girls much better, and they weren't really getting back to her. They had all originally wanted to go to the beach for a few days, which would have been significantly more expensive. I warned my MOH that a few of the girls are very wishy-washy and sometimes back down on their committments. I didn't want her to shell out the money for a beach rental and then not have everyone pay what they agreed to pay. So she asked me my thoughts, and I said it would be better to do something local and to try to make it as cheap as possible. Everyone agreed, she booked the hotel room, and literally the next morning FSIL tells me she changed her mind. 

Second, yes, I let them pick out the dress so I wouldn't pick something they couldn't afford. They were so excited to pick them out. Eventually, all my other maids had gotten fitted and paid for their dresses, but these girls hadn't, which I knew would happen because they are always late with everything they do. The consultant who helped us with the dresses called me and told me a deadline for ordering the dresses or they wouldn't get here in time, so I told the girls that they had the two months. Of course they didn't order them, so I offered to pay, and the arrangement was that the older sister would pay me back when she could. I gave all my bridesmaids their shoes as gifts, so that wasn't a problem. So two more months go by, and after my fiance asking her several times, she didn't pay us back, so I dropped it. The dress eventually came in, and she had two weeks to pick up the dress or it would be sent back. Of course I ended up having to pick up the dress. Now, at this point I wasn't too bothered because I knew this was the kind of person she was. 

If anyone knows what it's like to be strapped for cash, it's me. That's why I have included them in every decision I have made thus far, and I let them have complete control of the dresses. I told them the color, and that was it. I know FSIL's finances are not my business, but to a certain extent I reserve the right to be angry. Last week, she came to me about hair. She had talked to her stylist about prices, and she quoted us an INSANE amount, which FSIL seemed to think was just fine. I said no, we couldn't do that, because there was no way even I could afford that much for hair. I was just assuming everyone would either do their own hair or get it done professionally if they wanted. Speaking of, when I saw her on Easter she was showing off her newly highlighted hair. She actually talks to me about these things and how much they cost her. She was bragging about how the other night she had spent over $100 on drinks! No, it's not my business, but then to turn around and tell me she can't afford to go out for drinks with ME, someone who I thought was her friend, it just hurts.

I would never be mad at someone for not having enough money to do something. I never said I expected anyone to come to this party. I am NOT asking anyone to spend money. This was their idea! According to my MOH, she had voiced her opinions on the bachelorette and what she thought we should do, but then she backed out. This is not a matter of financial situation, it's a matter of friendship. When she told me she couldn't come, she didn't even say sorry or she wishes she could make it, nothing. It was just like she didn't care. I don't need to hear that the pre-wedding parties are not mandatory, because I KNOW that. I KNOW that a bridal party is to honor your closest friends. Don't you think a close friend would at least WANT to be there? 

The reason my FFIL matter is because he is imposing his opinion on his daughter. She said some very rude things to me this morning regarding our personal business, and it made me think she doesn't support our wedding. I would never actually kick her out of the wedding, but I just don't know what to do. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_fsil-drama?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:93730086-9a4d-4da5-b8f0-c7c263bf09caPost:9fcd0fbc-2d5c-42ed-b23e-39ec770aca42">Re: FSIL drama!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]STOP tattling about his sister to the rest of your bridal party!!  You are just flaming the fires here.  It is NONE of their business and she is about to become family.  Agreed, it is absolutely none of your business how she spends her money. Go to your bach party.  Have a great time.  The only thing his sister has to do is show up on time, sober, smile for pics and stand beside you during the wedding.  Don't expect anything more and you won't be disappointed. As far as the FFIL thing.  Do you know if FFIL has said anything to your FI?  You said your dad got the "vibe" FFIL thought you were after FI's money.  A vibe is not a credible source.  While your dad just met the man, he did, indeed, just meet the man so it could have been miscommunication. Stop worrying about what they think.  It doesn't matter.  As long as you and FI are square that is all that matters. Do not fire her from your wedding.  She will be family forever and she has done nothing to deserve that.  And, again, stop telling this to the other BM's!
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]

<div>I have only discussed this with my MOH, who is my best friend. </div><div>
    </div><div>Yes, FFIL has also discussed this with FI, and he has flat out told him I am taking advantage of him, and it's just a repeat of his and FMIL's marriage (they are divorced). FI knows never to listen to what his father says because their divorce was solely his fault (he was abusive).</div>
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Fi should stop telling his dad who's paying for what. It's none of his business. If the source of all the problems is FFIL, your fi should tell him to knock it off or her won't be seeing much of either of you. There's not much you can do about what this man tells his daughters. Try to rise above. 

• Options
    I think I'm just going to let it go and try to just see what's going on and why our friendship has turned out this way. FI is going to talk to her and see why she is acting this way. We all know her well. She would never turn down an invitation if it was something she really wanted to do. And it's not a couple hundred dollars. I think the total was 38 per person. That doesn't seem like too much to me, especially for someone who can find a way to spend 100 on just drinks! I asked all of my bridesmaids not to get me a gift for the shower, which is the same day. I don't like asking too much of people. I just wanted to make this easy for everyone.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_fsil-drama?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:93730086-9a4d-4da5-b8f0-c7c263bf09caPost:b61ede2d-84a3-41b4-a5ad-f51ed4a1e541">Re: FSIL drama!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The dad sounds like he's trying to stir things up. Your fiance should have a talk with his dad.  He either stops stirring the pot, or he won't be seeing much of either of you in the future.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I completely agree with this, and so does my fiance.

</div>
  • Options
    Something else to think about outside of all of the wedding stuff, as a friend to your FSIL (as you said you guys previously were), is that her dad coming back into the picture is probably extremely overwhelming, difficult, exciting and who knows what else.  She may be far more swayed by his opinion now if she's just enamored with the idea of her dad finally being around.  Who knows if this is actually the case, but it's just something to maybe keep in mind when trying to figure out what has changed with her. 
  • Options
    That is true. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I know that she has always hated her dad, but having him in the picture now might be changing her mind about him.
  • Options
    Retread - you're right. He probably is a narcissist. He turns up at milestone events, like weddings and births, stirs up trouble for the attention it gets him. Or he threatens to stay away so that the children will beg him to come. If he follows the pattern, he'll lose interest in his children after the big event and ride off into the sunset.

Don't get involved with FFIL.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_fsil-drama?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:93730086-9a4d-4da5-b8f0-c7c263bf09caPost:0788c524-06ad-40e5-8197-71832552ec5d">Re: FSIL drama!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The dad probably wants his family to himself and views you as an interloper.  He is trying to get rid of anyone else who might influence "his" children other than himself.  He wants to be the one in control.  If he can't get rid of you, he'll break your possible influence over others. Was he a lying manipulator before? Leopards don't change their spots. You've given us more and more information in each post, and I suspect a family dynamic of a guy who left his children angry and hurt, then turned up again, desperate to insinuate himself with them again.  Am I right?  If so, tread carefully here.  He WANTS you angry and upset, because his goal IS to provoke a feud. Don't let him win.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>You've hit the nail on the head with this one. I'll just tell you this story as an example of the kind of person he is. When FI was in high school, his dad had custody every other weekend. One weekend, he randomly said he couldn't take them that weekend, which was unusual. The kids drove out to his house, where he was packing up a U-haul to move across the country. He had never mentioned this to his kids even once, and he had actually owned the property for several years, while he was cheating on their mother. So yes, he is a lying manipulator.</div><div>
    </div><div>That being said, this man has never once been rude to my face. He has always been very nice to be and told me, "Welcome to the family," "I love you like a daughter," blah blah blah. I took these with a grain of salt, but still, he is not a bad person. FI knows that most of what he says is bull and calls him out on it, but I can still tell he is somewhat happy his father is here. Although, he calls EVERY DAY. Sometimes several times a day. And he lives literally ten minutes away. Might be just me, but I think that's overkill. </div><div>
    </div><div>Anyway, I know he just wants the best for his son, but he obviously thinks this is not what's best. After all, the last time they really spent time together was when he was sixteen. FFIL never had a problem with me or our engagement until he found out I wasn't working. I can understand to some extent, as I would be wary of my child possibly being taken advantage of, but he needs to keep his opinions to himself and not discussing them with his daughter, which in turn is turning her against me. </div><div>
    </div><div>Just an update: FSIL just texted me: "Okay so I was thinking. I don't know if this would work but no one expects an over the top or big or too expensive wedding from yall. So don't feel like you have to put on a show. I think yall should really see if there is any way you could cut the costs some. I just don't want yall to be worried about disappointing people." This came completely out of the blue. I have never said anything to her that would've made her think these things... Our wedding is not "over the top" at all. It has cost us around $15,000, which is more than we budgeted, but still. We haven't said anything about disappointing anyone.</div>
  • Options
    I realize all of this. I'm not naive. I'm just trying to go about my business without causing more trouble than he's worth. I honestly don't believe he'll even show up to the wedding. FMIL is hosting the rehearsal dinner, so there is no way he will be attending that, and I don't know if he can handle seeing her at the wedding either. I think it would be all the merrier if he didn't show.
  • Options
    I wish they did too. I think what you said is exactly right, and they will never write him out of their lives. My fianc definitely realizes that he's not the best person/role model, but he's not ready to let his dad go, and I understand that. Thank you so much for all your support. Most of the ladies on these boards seem so helpful, and I did notice that a lot stay active after they get married. I will definitely be sticking around!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards