Outdoor Weddings

camo outdoor wedding

ok so im just now starting on my plannnig and me and my FI are thingking about the wedding being jan/feb 2014. i want a camo wedding cuz that is our fav color, neather of us hunt...and we both like diff camo....i like mossy oak and real tree and "real" camo, he likes army and pixal camo.

so is there a was to mix these 2 with out it being to much??

also what is the best way to have an outdoor wedding and still keep kinda warm in jan/feb in TX?

Re: camo outdoor wedding

• I would just stick to one camo and let it be in small touches. A little bit of that goes a long way. 

Long underwear, I guess?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I agree with Addie. You should use the camo in small touches so that it doesn't overwhelm the whole event.

It'll be hard to keep your guests warm at an outdoor wedding in Jan/Feb. You should look into renting those stand-up outdoor heaters.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_camo-outdoor-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:a698b4b7-d07d-4513-aab7-0b359cd434bdPost:727408a9-4d13-46d1-96ca-7bb80f1ccfb8">camo outdoor wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]ok so im just now starting on my plannnig and me and my FI are thingking about the wedding being jan/feb 2014. i want a camo wedding cuz that is our fav color, neather of us hunt...and we both like diff camo....i like mossy oak and real tree and "real" camo, he likes army and pixal camo. so is there a was to mix these 2 with out it being to much?? also what is the best way to have an outdoor wedding and still keep kinda warm in jan/feb in TX?
    Posted by vtotten1222[/QUOTE]

Any camo is too much.  Two different styles of camo is WAY to much.  Camo isn't a "color", it's a design. And a design that isn't very flattering.   Why not pick browns and natural colors?

If you want to have an outdoor wedding in the winter, you should make sure you budget for a tent and heaters.
  • Austin is still in the 50s and 60s in that time-period.  Outdoor weddings are a huge hassle in cold weather, and not fun for your guests.  You can put up heaters and tents, but even with that, people will be clustered around them and wistfully thinking about going indoors as soon as possible.

You may want to move your wedding a few months, or move it indoors (have a quick ceremony, then escape inside for the reception).

I can't comment on the camo because it's so NMS that it's not funny.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_camo-outdoor-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:a698b4b7-d07d-4513-aab7-0b359cd434bdPost:c1888118-4dc9-4a4c-9810-d32096e368b2">Re: camo outdoor wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to camo outdoor wedding : Any camo is too much.  Two different styles of camo is WAY to much. <strong> Camo isn't a "color", it's a design. And a design that isn't very flattering. </strong>  Why not pick browns and natural colors? If you want to have an outdoor wedding in the winter, you should make sure you budget for a tent and heaters.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

CMG is right about it all.

BUT are either of you military? If you are not a hunter and are not in the military, I really think that it's kinda silly....

Maybe keep with colors that are IN camoflague - brown, green, gray, cream - for most of your major accents (BP colors, inspiration for boquet, boutenniers, table scapes, etc.) and add a TOUCH to TINY ITSY BITSY things - a 1/2 in ribbon and small bow around your boquet wrap only (not BM), a camo pocket square for FI only (not GM), a tie around programs (if you have them), and maybe on your garter. I think keeping it to slight touches is key so your guests aren't overwhelmed AND are able to see the bridal party.

AND do something to insulate your guests and keep them warm, be it a tent with heaters, and indoor space, or outside space heaters. I would not be happy if I was asked to attend a winter outdoor wedding.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Jan/Feb is WAY to cold to do an outdoor wedding.  And the weather around here can be CRAPOLA! 

Do your guests a favor; host indoors.  With biting winds, the potential for cold and freezing rain, and people being huddled in coats and jackets, do you really think they're going to be having a good time? 

You wouldn't be having a good time I suspect.

There are SO many pretty (and indoor!) places here in Austin to have a wedding at! 

Of course, why not just push it back until March or April?  Look out the window and tell me how beautiful it is out there!!  Wildflowers in bloom, bluebonnets all over, and the weather is georgeous! 

And in regards to camo; no offense.  But no.  I'm with the others; pick colors FROM the camo color scheme and use those.

Have fun and good luck!  :)
  • ok so my fmily is big on hunting and my FI would love to be in the millitary but cant seeing he is visualy impaired, and to us camo IS a color and is our fav.

and also im not trying to make every thing camo just some hints here and there, and on my dress as well witch i do have someone to add it in.

also i thought this fourm was here to help and encourage. when there is a lot of no dont do that that ugly....( some of u may not have put it that way but that how it came across)

now as far as moving it indoors my moms house is to small for that and i can not afford to rent a place im on a $1000 budget....she has a barn tho i may beable to use that....
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_camo-outdoor-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:a698b4b7-d07d-4513-aab7-0b359cd434bdPost:0461591b-fc05-4a76-b050-03ac28076733">Re: camo outdoor wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]ok so my fmily is big on hunting and my FI would love to be in the millitary but cant seeing he is visualy impaired, and to us camo IS a color and is our fav. and also im not trying to make every thing camo just some hints here and there, and on my dress as well witch i do have someone to add it in. <strong>also i thought this fourm was here to help and encourage. when there is a lot of no dont do that that ugly.</strong>...( some of u may not have put it that way but that how it came across) now as far as moving it indoors my moms house is to small for that and i can not afford to rent a place im on a $1000 budget....she has a barn tho i may beable to use that....

I'm not following this post very well, particularly the bolded sentence. But here are my thoughts:

You really need to push the wedding to a later date if moving it indoors is not an option. The heaters and tents you would need to keep people warm are very expensive. Alone, they could be more than your budget.

Camo isn't a color, no matter how much you like it. It's a pattern, and that's okay. Toile is my favorite pattern (but that doesn't make it a color). We used a toile ribbon on our cake.

People are trying to be helpful. Lots of the pictures of camo weddings most people have seen, have been pretty overdone and busy. They end up on tackyweddings.com, and gossipy guests will side-eye and make fun behind the couple's backs. That doesn't mean it will happen to you, and the ladies here want to be helpful and keep this from happening to you.

We want you to have a lovely wedding, and we don't want you to be hurt if some tactless person makes fun of your wedding. That being said, only you know if you would be hurt, and only you know if your guests would side-eye. I can tell you, pretty much down to exact numbers, how many of our guests would love it, be indifferent, dislike it, and hate it enough to talk amongst themselves about it. And even in a hunting family with military members, I would have some in every category.

If you both want camo at your wedding, and aren't worried about judgemental guests or your feelings, it won't hurt anything to have it. I'd keep with the small touches like you are thinking, and maybe add some solids to balance it out. Are you having BMs? A <a href="http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/lady-love-song-dress-in-fern" rel="nofollow">dress like this </a>(<---click) would complement the colors in most camo pretty well.

I would also use natural elements, like tree branches and river rocks, to add to the rustic and woodsy vibe.  These can be gathered for free, and free is awesome.

The budget weddings board may be able to help some, too, if you need money saving tips.

Hope this helps!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_camo-outdoor-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:a698b4b7-d07d-4513-aab7-0b359cd434bdPost:0461591b-fc05-4a76-b050-03ac28076733">Re: camo outdoor wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]ok so my fmily is big on hunting and my FI would love to be in the millitary but cant seeing he is visualy impaired, and to us camo IS a color and is our fav. and also im not trying to make every thing camo just some hints here and there, and on my dress as well witch i do have someone to add it in. also i thought this fourm was here to help and encourage. when there is a lot of no dont do that that ugly....( some of u may not have put it that way but that how it came across) now as far as moving it indoors my moms house is to small for that and i can not afford to rent a place im on a $1000 budget....she has a barn tho i may beable to use that....

We are all here to encourage you.  We are also here to discourage really bad ideas.  The folks here are blunt and honest.  In a way that your family and friend won't be, because they don't want to hurt your feelings.  But, they will be saying it behind your back.

if you push your wedding back a few months, you may be able to save more money and have a larger budget AND deal with the weather issue. Having an outdoor wedding in the winter is a VERY bad idea unless you can afford to rent a tent and portable heaters.     Maybe consider pushing your wedding to late May or early June so you aren't asking your guests to freeze at your wedding. 

As far as the camo goes...  I agree with Bunni.  It isn't a color. It's a pattern. If you love it, then, you can have it.  It usually turns out VERY bad though, and we've seen it.  So, we try to discourage that and encourage natural, woodsy colors.  Browns, greys, greens.  You can stll have the camo colors, without having camo in your wedding. And maybe have a camo garter or have your FI have a camo tie.  

Do a quick google search for camo weddings, and you will see how bad adding camo to your wedding usually turn out.  

No one here is purposefully trying to hurt your feelings, but we are trying to prevent you from making really bad decisions.
  • Bunni and CMG are right. We're trying to DIScourage guests from posting pics of your wedding on tackyweddings.com. AND pushing it out several months will help on costs in almost all aspects, especially as it's in your mom's backyard and you aren't really renting any property.

I apologize if you were offended by the "kinda silly" comment, but you just said that neither of you hunt , but love camo. To me that's like a valley girl dressing in a garage jumpsuit because it's a fashion statement - silly.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_camo-outdoor-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:a698b4b7-d07d-4513-aab7-0b359cd434bdPost:0461591b-fc05-4a76-b050-03ac28076733">Re: camo outdoor wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]ok so my fmily is big on hunting and my FI would love to be in the millitary but cant seeing he is visualy impaired, and to us camo IS a color and is our fav. and also im not trying to make every thing camo just some hints here and there, and on my dress as well witch i do have someone to add it in. also i thought this fourm was here to help and encourage. when there is a lot of no dont do that that ugly....( some of u may not have put it that way but that how it came across) now as far as moving it indoors my moms house is to small for that and i can not afford to rent a place im on a $1000 budget....she has a barn tho i may beable to use that....

Camo is not a color.  Insisting it is does not change that.  I could insist that I am cat-astronaut but that doesn't change the fact that I am a human lawyer.

We are here not simply to nod along in agreement if an idea seems questionable.  You ASKED for opinions about how to do this....the general consensus seems to be that it's not the most tasteful idea and if we think that way, many of your guests could feel the same way.

Do what you want.  Just be aware that you could incorporate the same feel you're going for by picking neutral colors and just doing small pops of camo here and there (I would skip it on your dress, TBH....you won't want to look back at that when you're 50).

And for the love of all that's holy, DON'T HAVE AN OUTDOOR WEDDING IN THE WINTER. Seriously?
  • You're on a budget, so wait until, oh, March or April (as I previously suggested). 

I'm from Austin, I'm a native born, and excluding 2 years in Kansas, I've lived here my ENTIRE life.  34 years I've been an Austinite.  I'm PRETTY sure I know the weather by now.

If you have $1,000 budget, HOST OUTDOORS at a park!  Zilker can be pretty; San Gabriel in Georgetown (a park I'm familiar with as my parents moved there when I was 8).  The bonus on San Gabriel is there are covered pavillions (with vines), there's the Playscape, and a Gazebo that you can RENT from the city.  Or any of the multitude of state parks!  Even Bastrop State Park is recovering nicely (lived there for 3 years, including DURING the fires).  There's Inks Lake, Lake Buchanan, Georgetown Lake, Ladybird Lake...shall I go on with all the beautiful places here in the Hill Country? 

If you host at a park, you can BBQ as there's always grills available (hot dogs and hamburgers aren't super expensive).  The kids would have swing sets to play on. 

Please, don't do a Jan/Feb wedding.  This about those two months and the miserable weather.  You can always google "Poor Richard's Almanac" and see what the weather is projected to be like that time next year around here.

If I was invited to a wedding that time of year that was being hosted outdoors, I'd decline.  Cold and possible nasty weather leads me to want to be indoors, huddled up and warm.
  • edited May 2013

My fiancé and his one man standing up with him are wearing camo vests.  His groom cake will also be camo, along with the ring bearer pillow.  Other than that, I've got it pink ;)

• edited May 2013

I think people think of MAMA JUNE from TLC when they hear camo wedding but everything can be too much. I personally think everything covered in crystals or glitter is obscene but that's me....my cousins on the other hand find my rustic wedding is boring.

On etsy they have adorable camo garters! You could also have a camo petticoat that is visible during movement. I think that camo can be over done and some people are just totally against it but in the end its your day. I think maybe a camo vest for the men or pocket square could be cute. Even a camo cake??

I do agree with everyone on the weather issue though. Maybe you could rent a tent relatively cheap or find space heaters on craigslist

thats too much camo!!image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards