Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Order of events ? Help!!!

My reception venue and DJ both want to know what order we are doing things during the reception. For example: Are we cutting cake before or after dinner?, When are we doing the garter toss, first dance, etc... I have been to three weddings, all quite awhile ago, and I never paid attention! Is there a traditional or most convienent way of doing things? They want me to answer all these questions and I have no idea what I'm doing!!! Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Re: Order of events ? Help!!!

• Options
    There is no right or wrong answer here. I don't know if that's comforting to hear or just confusing lol. My personal preferences are... The bride and groom's first dance should be the first dance. It doesn't make sense to me if the bride and groom dance together at the reception before their First Dance. It ceases being their First Dance, ya know? I also prefer to wait to have the cake cut until after dinner. In my circle, the cake cutting signifies the point of the evening when it's okay to leave. Also, cake is for dessert and therefore it doesn't make sense to cut the dessert before dinner. Don't get me wrong, cake is delicious at any time. You can google wedding reception timelines and see what you come up with.
  • Options
    Thank you! That is all very helpful. Lately, whenever I have a question I browse The Knot forums to see if anyone has already asked, and I usually find my answer. Silly me, I forgot Google existed... lol. If anyone else is browsing the forums looking for info about this also I used your advice and found a great article http://www.bridalguide.com/planning/wedding-reception/reception-procedures
  • Options
    We did:

Introductions
    First Dance (recommend by dj & photographer because then all the guests are seated so photographer was able to get great shots without people standing in background)
    Dinner
    Father/Daughter & Mother/Son Dance (we did it combined)

We delayed the cake cutting a bit so that people would stay for a little bit. Some of the grooms family is known for eat & leave and we wanted a chance to spend time with them.

We opted not to a garter/bouquet toss.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_order-of-events-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c6ca5d52-8000-44fb-824d-291b10b6aa73Post:4e930564-06ad-4108-8d29-b9ac33707fa0">Re: Order of events ? Help!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are doing it this way, <div>
    <div>Introductions </div><div>First Dance </div><div>Dinner </div><div>Parent dances </div><div>Cake cutting </div><div>
    </div><div>Party!!
    Posted by clovester[/QUOTE]

<div>This is also what we are doing.</div></div></div>
  • Options
    We're doing cocktail hour, toasts, dinner, first dance, parent dances, opening dancing.  no cake cutting
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited June 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards