Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

service charge vs gratuity

I had a phone conversation with an events planner for a venue here in Pittsburgh and mentioned that I noticed the caterer's pricing for the food included tax and tip. She corrected me and said that it included a service charge and tip and the gratuity was extra. wow.. Has anyone worked with a caterer and paid the service (20%) and tax (7%) then tipped on top of that??
What kind of tip would be appropriate. I hope not 20%... it's already a small fortune per person!!

Re: service charge vs gratuity

• Options
    Ash2985Ash2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that perhaps changing the font of this post would be a good idea.  Because I am currently not going to make the effort to read it, and imagine the other ladies on the board will be like minded.  Just a suggestion.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my daughter has recently been married and this question came up. On the advice of the hall coordinator, I personally added money for the bartender even though he was being paid by the hall. When I did pay him, he mentioned other guests had tipped through the evening but I wanted to show him my personal appreciation.
  • Options
    groomsmothergroomsmother member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am sorry.. the crazy font was an accident.. I am not very computer savy. I did not mean to offend. I was surprised to see it post that way!
  • Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't make it through your post without my eyes crossing. Can you try posting it in the normal size/font?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard of some venues doing this but they never really explain exactly what the service charge is for.

A tip of anything between 15-20% is normal for weddings. 

My suggestion would be to keep searching and find a place that does not have a service charge at all - there are plenty of venues that only have the sales tax and gratuity fee and nothing else.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards