Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Paying for dinner for DJ and Photographer..cha ching?

So apparantly its expected to shell out the entire dinner $ for the DJ and the photographer---do we also pay for them on the open bar per person....This is crazy... makes their fee go up 50-100 dollars! My fiance wants to give them 10 bucks and send them to McDonalds!
I know what is expceted but does the venue provide something different for them or is it a discussion to have with the venue?
Any thoughts on how to do this cheaper?
THX

Re: Paying for dinner for DJ and Photographer..cha ching?

• Options
    Is it really expected to pay the full buffet price and open bar price for these people at our wedding? Do they provide something different or does this mean their fees go up 50-100 dollars now?
    What a raquet huh?
    UGH 
  • Options
    I am a photographer myself....

a meal is required -- I usually dont have my clients buy an extra meal.. I tell them I will eat whatever they have for their guests.  There is always extra so it doesn't usually cost more.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Also, I usually end up sitting down at a private table with the band members... They usually eat the same things I do...  Sometimes the chef will be nice and make us something special -- its usually the same thing the guest have but with extra side dishes, but theres no need to have something totally different for the vendors..

Just make sure there is extra food. They are still working and need to eat also. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    manjermjmanjermj member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    It is a very nice gesture to give them dinner while they are working for you. Also, check your contract... In ours, our photographer required a meal for them or they would be permitted to leave the reception to go get food for themselves. We chose to feed them ourselves so they wouldn't have to leave our reception. 

Edit: Also, most venues have a special price for vendors. It's some times a different meal for a cheaper price or the same meal as your guests minus the open bar price.
  • Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    These people are working a full day for your wedding, yes you absolutely need to feed them. How would you like to work 10 hours straight, surrounded by food, and not get anything to eat? Not to mention, a well-fed vendor is a vendor that performs their job better.

However you should not have to pay the open bar price for them. You may have to pay a small amount for them to have soda/juice. But my venue counted vendors as "under 21" in the payment category. Also talk to your caterer, many offer a discounted price for vendor meals. 
  • Options
    tlc35tlc35 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    They definitely need to get food for dinner, but no alcohol is expected.
  • Options
    Contact your reception venue and ask them about the DJ/photographer meals. We received a substantial discount for them (and they were not a part of the bar fee).

They (esp. the photographer) are working a really long day with few breaks. A happy vendor, I think, will make for a happier wedding!
  • Options
    We paid a reduced fee for our vendor meals (no alcohol, obviously...most people aren't allowed to drink on their jobs)...they ate the same thing as our guests but the venue pre-plated the food for them so they didn't have to stand in line.  They were happy and happy vendors = a smooth wedding. 
  • Options
    We gave them the same meal as the guests.  We did get a discount.   We brought in our own alcohol so that was not an addional charge, not that they drank on the job anyway.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Check your contract.  If it's not listed in the contract, you can get them cheaper meals with no alcohol.  But if you get them nothing, you need to give them a chance to get food of their own.  Doing nothing at all for them isn't cool.
  • Options
    Our vendors got the exact same meal choices as our guests.  No reduced cost, no reduced choice.

I would be completely offended as a photog or DJ if I worked hard to make your wedding special and then got handed $10 to go get McDonalds.  What a crappy way to treat people.

• Options
    Yes you must provide your vendors with a meal.  Some venues have reduced price vendor meals.  Honestly do you want to piss your photographer off by telling them to go to McDonald's during your wedding?  Your poor treatment will be reflected in the photo quality.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm a photographer and my contract states that a meal will be provided for me and my assistant.  I never drink at a wedding- that would be completely unprofessional. 
  • Options
    It is standard to feel the DJ an photographer.  You don't need to serve them drinks, but a meal is expected most of the time.

The $10 and tell them to go to McD's is just nasty.  That's not how you treat someone who is working for you all day.  
  • Options
    I do not understand why people would want their photographer to leave the property for ANY reason.   Seriously, what if they got into an accident?   Or Mc D's was very busy or some other unforeseen situation that delays their return?  

I paid a great deal of money for photographer.  Our venue had a no outside food policy, which would include him bring food from home.  There is no way in hell I would let him work 10 hours without food, nor was I going to risk him leaving and not be able to return for some unforeseen reason.    

No, I gave him a meal, which he seemed to eat on the run and I got some amazing pictures throughout the entire reception.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    In Response to Re:Paying for dinner for DJ and Photographer..cha ching?:[QUOTE]I do not understand why people would want their photographer to leave the property for ANY reason. nbsp; Seriously, what if they got into an accident? nbsp; Or Mc D's was very busy or some other unforeseen situation that delays their return? nbsp;nbsp;I paid a great deal of money for photographer. nbsp;Our venue had a no outside food policy, which would include him bring food from home. nbsp;There is no way in hell I would let him work 10 hours without food, nor was I going to risk him leaving and not be able to return for some unforeseen reason. nbsp; nbsp;No, I gave him a meal, which he seemed to eat on the run and I got some amazing pictures throughout the entire reception. Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE] Word. My venue didn't offer a separate vendor meal, and so my vendors ate with the guests. The closest food was 10 miles from my venue, no way in hell would I have wanted my photographer leaving for 30 or 45 minutes to eat.
  • Options
    We planned on giving ours the same meal options as the guests, and were pleasantly surprised to find that our venue charges a reduced price for them anyway (they assume they won't eat as many appetizers).  Our bar is by consumption, and while we aren't giving them any "rules" we expect that the photographer will probably stick to soda and the band (which is rock-style) may have a beer or two each.  Even if you are charged full price, its worth it!  I want everyone to enjoy my wedding day, vendors included.
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Paying for dinner for DJ and Photographer..cha ching?:
    [QUOTE]I do not understand why people would want their photographer to leave the property for ANY reason.   Seriously, what if they got into an accident?   Or Mc D's was very busy or some other unforeseen situation that delays their return?    I paid a great deal of money for photographer.  Our venue had a no outside food policy, which would include him bring food from home.  There is no way in hell I would let him work 10 hours without food, nor was I going to risk him leaving and not be able to return for some unforeseen reason.     No, I gave him a meal, which he seemed to eat on the run and I got some amazing pictures throughout the entire reception.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

Ditto.  I have never heard of vendors leaving to eat.  I would never want mine to leave to find dinner.  I think most venues provide a reduced meal or alternate options.  In the rare chance they didn't, then I'd pay for them as a guest.  No way I'd have them leave and be without a DJ or photographer for an extended period of time.

• Options
    The photographers we have hired for our daughters' weddings have all had clauses that they are either fed at the reception OR they leave the premise for 30 minutes to go grab food.  We always feed our vendors what the guests are eating and make sure they have a comfortable place to sit.
  • Options
    KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Our venue has lower costs for vendor meals...because they don't include the open bar costs, etc.

You have to feed your vendors...DJ, photographer, wedding coordinator (if you have one), etc.  it would be incredibly rude not to.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paying for dinner for DJ and Photographer..cha ching? : Most probably do.  Some may not though.  In those instances, the best thing to do is to let them eat somewhere nearby.  McDonald's may be the only place nearby where they can get a meal.
    Posted by Jen4948[/QUOTE]

I don't think I've ever heard of a venue/caterer that does not allow for vendor meals.  It may or may not be discounted; but you can still get meals for your vendors included in the headcount.

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paying for dinner for DJ and Photographer..cha ching? : I don't think I've ever heard of a venue/caterer that does not allow for vendor meals.  It may or may not be discounted; but you can still get meals for your vendors included in the headcount.
    Posted by kjhowd[/QUOTE]

I think it's situational-it just depends on what's available from the venue/caterer, what's available locally, and what's in the contract.  Ideally it should be possible for the vendors to get meals of equal or reasonable quality for a reasonable price.  But again, I don't think they're entitled to souffles, caviar, porterhouse steaks, and Veuve Clicquot just because that's what guests are being served.  I think it is okay to serve them somewhat less expensive meals and not provide them with alcohol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards