Not Engaged Yet
Options

Cooking

Is it sad that I'm looking forward to cooking dinner because every time I do, it's accompanied by me drinking wine? It's pretty much my favorite thing to do, and at least I don't feel guilty for having a few glasses. It always makes dinner more fun for me, and I tend to get high-stress about getting things perfect, timing, etc. When I drink, I have more fun cooking and am less concerned (not sloppily so) about making this beautiful.

Anyone else like cooking under the influence?

my blog - for the love of ein
'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81

Re: Cooking

• Options

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    You know, now that I think about it, I rarely pour a glass of wine until after I'm done cooking.  It's strange, because I do love wine...

I'll have to rectify this immediately.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @Belle2188 - Uh, duh. It makes it so much more fun. I pour mine before I ever start. ;)

@BriSox81 - You're a woman after my own heart, dear.
  • Options
    laurenb09 said:
    DH: How much wine has gone in the food and how much have you had to drink?
    Me: None in the food and I've had 3 glasses since I started cooking 45 minutes ago.

Oops
    And this is why you're one of my most favorite people ever.

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    @Belle2188 - Uh, duh. It makes it so much more fun. I pour mine before I ever start. ;)

@BriSox81 - You're a woman after my own heart, dear.
    After it? Bitch, I already OWN that shit. Now make me some brownies. SPECIAL brownies. And we can share them over wine.

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Cooking under the influence is the only way to cook IMO. Sadly, since starting Weight Watchers I've done less of it because wine is just so darn expensive with their evil points system. It's working but not drinking as much wine as I like makes me kind of sad sometimes.

• Options
    @BriSox81 - Alright, alright 

PINK FUZZY HANDCUFFS

You own it. I'm making firecrackers this weekend, I'll tell you how they go (graham crackers with Nutella spread, sprinkle some...illegal substances, and bake. Literally and figuratively. 

@lmhollister - :( That really sucks. Since it's getting warm, could you do something like vodka/rum and a juice that's good for you, or club soda? I love vodka/grapefruit juice/club soda everyday. Lol. I don't know how WW works, if most alcohol is similarly weighted in points.

• Options
    CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I occasionally have a drink when I'm cooking. Once I tried to bake salted caramel brownies when I was more than a little tipsy. I ended up scalding the back of my hand with caramel sauce (still have the scar) and forgetting to layer the brownies properly. I don't bake drunk anymore. . . it is a house rule. 
  • Options
    @cschiano - Oh no! I love baking so much, I probably would have cried if I ruined them on top of being drunk. But that's 1. Kind of how I am and 2. I don't drink as much as this post lets on, I promise!

I've gotten too tipsy once while cooking dinner, and then it goes from fun to straight being a pain and you're upset in a heartbeat. I try not to get too far, lol!
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    @kmbryant If only! Sometimes I mix it up with a gin and tonic and use diet tonic water. Most cocktails are 5 points, regular beer (I don't drink that fake light beer crap...sorry Bud/Miller/etc lovers) is too. Wine is the "cheapest" at 4 points a glass. It just adds up so fast. They had a thing on their website with an interactive shelf of different drinks and wine still won out over drinks like vodka and juice. On my Happy Hour days I plan ahead all day so I can have 2 or 3 glasses of wine without worrying about going over. Wine is my fav so I don't cry too much over drinking less beer and cocktails.

I told Deb I’d make one of these since we kept saying it in the past few days and this is clearly going to be us when we visit wine country in San Francisco this February. 

I know I've seen this used before but I just love this image so very very much.

• Options
    CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @kmbryant2413 They still tasted good! Thank god for small favors, amirite?
  • Options
    kmbryant2413kmbryant2413 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2013
    @lmhollister - Do you read Hyperbole and a Half? That's where that image is from, and it's a great, great blog by a really funny girl. Google it, you won't regret it! She has so many gems of blog posts. 

@cschiano - Absolutely ;) I don't mind if my stuff comes out like mush as long as it tastes fucking awesome. I think it's that way with a lot of what I cook, haha! 

ETA: I really like the 'tag' feature of the new forums, so I think I'm going to get pretty darn good at typing out everyones full usernames here very quickly!
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    @kmbryant I don't but thanks for the suggestion! My recent blog obsession has been Shit Rough Drafts but he's fairly new and doesn't have a ton of archived posts so I need more humor to fill my day.

• Options
    I'm not hugely into cooking...

I'm not a very creative cook.  And I lack patience.  My H is a FANTASTIC cook...so he cooks 95% of the time.

His cooking is NOMtastic.
  • Options
    I don't drink and cook at the same time.  Unfortunately.  I'm usually doing too much and with my luck I'd cut myself or burn myself. 

Anniversary

• Options

I love to cook and drink. I've only had one bad experience where I spilled a glass of wine on a lit gas burner. Other than that, I've been okay.

I must have been drinking too much wine last night while cooking because I was sick all night last night and this morning my stomach feels like I did a ton of sit-ups. I don't think I cooked a pork tenderloin long enough. My bf didn't get sick though so I also could've acquired a stomach bug from my mom since she works around kids all day.

And I'm at work....hopefully I can get out 2 hours early.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    I'm OCD when I cook so even if I pour a glass before I begin, I forget about it while I'm cooking because I'm so focused on what I'm doing. I wish I could just drink and cook and not worry about anything else lol. I'm trying to drink less wine anyways since alcohol makes me gain weight. I've been just allowing myself to drink on the weekends and maybe one or two glasses during the week. So far so good, I've lost 5lbs so it seems to be helping.
  • Options
    I love wine.  I have a bottle in the fridge that I should work on tonight.
    I french with my man
  • Options
    @peekaboo2011 - I got caught up late last night talking to BF's sister and demolishing and ENTIRE bottle of wine. To be fair, I ran 2+ miles yesterday (for the first time in my life!). I feel just fine this morning, so I'm not sure if I'm proud of myself or disappointed. Haha
  • Options
    @peekaboo2011 - I got caught up late last night talking to BF's sister and demolishing and ENTIRE bottle of wine. To be fair, I ran 2+ miles yesterday (for the first time in my life!). I feel just fine this morning, so I'm not sure if I'm proud of myself or disappointed. Haha
    Hmmmmm, maybe this should be my new MO.  If I run more than x miles, I get a drink.  I feel like mileage should increase over time.
    I french with my man
  • Options
    I'm late to the party but I drink a glass of wine when cooking.  I feel like my recipes inevitably end up better that way as I some times "wing it" with things that aren't in the recipe and don't stress about exact measurements (unlike baking...where I cannot drink and bake).  I'm, sadly, looking forward to my wine and cooking adventures tonight...assuming I can eat what I cook for H and I (I'm going to the dentist...ugh).
  • Options
    @minskat30 - Boo, what are you having done at the dentist? It seems the general consensus is that baking while drinking, not so good. Cooking, rock on. Lol
  • Options

@kmbryant....I needed a consultation. I actually have to go back twice next week to get a major cleaning (they have to do it over two days) and a few cavities filled.  I was expecting worse, honestly, since I haven't been to the dentist in a few years...I know that's terrible and I take good care of my teeth otherwise but not getting semi-annual professional cleanings is really not good.  No excuses but I have a major fear of the dentist (after getting my wisdom teeth taken out I was left with permanent nerve damage and can't taste anything out of the right side of my mouth).  I feel stupid shaking like a leaf over going to the dentist but that experience left me with a pretty big fear, which makes me feel like a pretty big baby.

Cooking tonight with wine = yes.  Should help me relax and forget about the dentist.

• Options
    @minskat30 ... you too on the nerve damage? I had a nerve go to sleep in my upper lip and it never "woke up." I have brief periods where I can feel it again once every couple of years, but the lip is drooping and looks bad, in my view. And my damage is just cosmetic. Hugs to you.
  • Options

@keptinstitches.  That sucks!  Can you get it fixed through cosmetic surgery if it really bothers you?

Mine can't be reversed they don't think..I can sometimes taste something very spicy or very sour on the right side but my tongue feels numb on that side for the most part.  In addition, when they did the surgery to remove the wisdom teeth I woke up from the "twilight anesthesia" despite warning the dentist that I would need a good dose to knock me out and I had woken up under it before.  I started fighting the dentist when I woke up suddenly and I'm pretty sure that is when he severed the nerve...though he denies that and just says the tooth was too close to the nerve and he didn't realize that until he pulled the tooth. 

• Options
    @minskat30: I might. I don't know, I haven't decided yet what I will do about it, and it's been ... something like 8 years? I'm so sorry they can't reverse yours.
  • Options
    @minskat30: holy moly!  I'm so glad I'm just going to the regular dentist this week after your horror story.  If he tells me to take out my wisdom teeth, I might cry.  He actually didn't mention it last time and he USUALLY mentions it to FI so maybe mine don't need to be taken out at the moment.  I hope ever.  I want to keep my wisdom, dangit.  I'm also scared of needles, hence the wisdom teeth rant.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options

@Keptinstiches:  Thanks.  It sucks but it could always be worse.

@Blue&White: To be fair, this is a really rare side effect of the surgery.  The dentist who pulled them for me never had it happen to him before (and had been in practice some 30 years) and the dentist I just went to today heard of it happening but never met anyone it happened too before me.  Lucky duck, I am!  I would tell you to be careful about pulling all the wisdom teeth at once if it isn't really needed.  Yeah, its good that they can get them all out at one time but I really only needed one of my wisdom teeth pulled (and it wasn't on the side I lost the sense of taste) so it sucks that I let them steamroll me into pulling all of them "just in case" and "because it might save me money down the road".  H had one wisdom tooth pulled when it was bugging him but never pulled the rest and they haven't been an issue...and he is in his late 30s. :)

• Options
    Popping in out of hiding just to share that I LOVE drinking wine while cooking.

For this past Christmas, bf signed us up for a couples "sensual cooking" class. The woman running the class told us we were limited to 6 bottles of wine during the class. There were 6 of us in the class. One couple was put in charge of making sure everyone's glasses stayed full throughout the night. It was SO MUCH FUN and BF even learned a few new skills :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @Blue&White: I'm with you on the needles thing.  I had my wisdom teeth out in HS.  If it makes you feel better, they put me under with the laughing gas before they stuck me.  That helped with the panic, and then I didn't wake up until after everything was over.  It might be worth it to have them write your prescription for pain meds before you go under, and have whoever drives you to the clinic go pick them up while you're in.  I seriously remember waking up, being cleared to go home, and after 5 minutes in the car screaming in pain because the anesthesia wore off completely. 

And then my memories are gone from the following week because I was so high on whatever they gave me to deal with the pain.
    I french with my man
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards