Wedding Party
Options

Hairy Bridesmaid

124»

Re: Hairy Bridesmaid

• Options
    kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I hope none of you who have such a problem with body hair ever go to Europe. AFAIK it's pretty common there for women to go unshaven.

I've been in Europe for two years now.  I haven't really noticed this at all.  Is it because I'm not observant, or because it doesn't really stick out?  I'll tell you guys what - I'll go for a walk the next time it is sunny and all the ladies are out in shorts and tank-tops, and I'll go body-hair-hunting.

Also, I can't shave as much right now because I live in a bad apartment and the water in the shower only stays hot long enough for me to wash my hair.  I prefer shaved legs, but I can't right now.  Just because my circumstances suck, does this mean I can't be  a BM?  Darn!

• Options
    i can't believe I missed this and am so late to this party.

All I want to know OP, is that, if you had a guitar player in your wedding party....ya know, rough hands, short nails. Would you be inclined to kick her out if she didn't get some fake nails?
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    What the crap is "crunchy"?
    I can't decide if she's referring to granola, like what dirty hippies eat, or crunchy, like her clothes are crunchy because she's a dirty hippy and she never washes her clothes in addition to never shaving her pits.  Either way versdirtyhippy, I'd take offense.  
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I could be wrong, but I don't think women shaved their pits and legs until the 1930s.
    I forget where the push for hairless pits/legs came from, but I do know that, although it's heavily marketed as good hygiene, it's completely pointless. You are not "cleaner" or healthier if you shave (or wax, or pluck, or use depilatory cream).

I say this as someone who does remove body hair, although I suppose much, much less frequently than the OP would be comfortable with. But for the vast majority of people, there's really no point in body hair removal except to remove it.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2013
    I believe she meant it in the granola sense. Shorthand for people who tend to keep things au natural, whether it be body hair, organic food, etc http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crunchy
  • Options
    This is so ridiculous. Guys, OP is not being closed minded or superficial or a bad friend or any of these things she is being accused of. Would it be rude to ask her to shave? Definitely. But is it wrong to be uncomfortable with something? No! There is nothing wrong with having the photographer just avoid the armpit shots, and personally, that's what I'd do. I don't want anyone's armpit hair in my wedding photos, honestly, regardless of gender, just because it's not appealing to look at. I'm sure your friend is beautiful and obviously you love her or she wouldn't be in your wedding. You're both just going to have to give a little. Obviously she's not willing to shave, and if she is comfortable that way, then good for her. She can dance the night away with fuzzy under arms and feel secure with her friends. That being said, your formal pictures are your decision, and you can choose poses that YOU are comfortable with, which,in this case, will include your girls with their arms down to the side :) don't be shocked if the pit 'fro makes an appearance in some candid reception shots- you've got to let that part go. it is your wedding, and you only get to make these decisions once. I think you already know what you need to do, and I wish you the best of luck because THAT is an awkward situation to be in.
  • Options
    This is so ridiculous. Guys, OP is not being closed minded or superficial or a bad friend or any of these things she is being accused of. Would it be rude to ask her to shave? Definitely. But is it wrong to be uncomfortable with something? No! There is nothing wrong with having the photographer just avoid the armpit shots, and personally, that's what I'd do. I don't want anyone's armpit hair in my wedding photos, honestly, regardless of gender, just because it's not appealing to look at. I'm sure your friend is beautiful and obviously you love her or she wouldn't be in your wedding. You're both just going to have to give a little. Obviously she's not willing to shave, and if she is comfortable that way, then good for her. She can dance the night away with fuzzy under arms and feel secure with her friends. That being said, your formal pictures are your decision, and you can choose poses that YOU are comfortable with, which,in this case, will include your girls with their arms down to the side :) don't be shocked if the pit 'fro makes an appearance in some candid reception shots- you've got to let that part go. it is your wedding, and you only get to make these decisions once. I think you already know what you need to do, and I wish you the best of luck because THAT is an awkward situation to be in.

• Options
    keochankeochan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    The 1910's were when women started shaving, when the sleeveless dress was introduced and underarms were no longer so scandalous, shaving companies started launching the idea of bare female pits because they saw a marketing opportunity. This continued when dresses started getting shorter. So our 'norm' of shaving is less an 100 years old and was a marketing ploy by razor companies looking to capitalize off of creating insecurities(and infantillizing) in women about their own body. Not that much has changed.
  • Options
    MsYeckMsYeck member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Maybe your whole bridal party could schedule a spa day and everybody gets waxed
  • Options
    MsYeck said:
    Maybe your whole bridal party could schedule a spa day and everybody gets waxed
    ...or not.

• Options

I am now thoroughly entertained by the undead nature of this thread.

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    All I can say, and this is a general statement, is that if you are going to judge someone or try and change them them you better make sure you are perfect too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards