Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Benches vs. Chairs

Wedding is very very soon.
Rental folding chairs have fallen through.
At the wedding venue, there are only backless benches.
Has anyone been to a wedding with backless benches? 
What about for elderly relatives, don't they NEED a chair with a back?
And this will also be the case for the entire reception.
Any ideas?

Re: Benches vs. Chairs

• Options
    For the ceremony only I'd say benches are not ideal, but fine. For the whole reception too....I really think you need chairs if at all possible. I agree with Stage, what happened to your plan to rent chairs?
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

I'm a fan of personal space, so sitting on a bench crammed next to someone isn't my style.

Chairs are one of the easiest things in the world to rent. I'd question your wedding venue...a lot...if they aren't able to assist you in finding the chairs you need.

• Options
    Yeah, you definitely need chairs. I agree with NOLA. I was on the fence until you said benches for the reception as well. I would not want to spend the entire event sitting on a backless bench. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    I could deal with benches for a ceremony, but for the reception you need chairs. Try local churches, community centers, schools, etc. They usually have folding chairs and might be willing to rent them, if you can't find a local vendor. 
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Get chairs.  Try renting them from another vendor.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of benches at all, but I'd deal with it for the ceremony. But the reception? Getting up and down from the middle of a bench with a table in front of me is pretty difficult for me in pants, let alone a dress or skirt.
  • Options
    It's not just the elderly you need to worry about.  Anyone who doesn't have a 100% healthy back will be in agony after about 10 minutes.  I personally would have to leave your wedding.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    DH is only 55 and that isn't elderly.  He would be in agony by the end of your wedding and I would have to skip the reception and take him home.  His back got messed up in his early 40's and gets progressively worse.

I have a crappy back but nothing like DH.  I would be very uncomfortable with benches.  I would suck it up for the wedding, but I would NOT for the reception.  People need a chair with a back. Young, middle-aged, seniors - people need a chair with a back.  Please rework this and ditch the benches.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards