Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

my wedding is in 12 days and dress isnt done

I wanted to post today to ask for advice. I'm trying really hard not to freak out, ...the dress that I purchased from a small local salon has been with the alterations lady since mid March.

It's a dropped waist ball gown, all lace, it needed bra cups added, side seams taken in about 2", the length shortened via the waist seam because the bottom is finished lace, and a bustle (10 point) added.

I had my first consult the beginning of March when I purchased the dress, the second was about a week later when I was told it would cost $425 instead of the original $225 I was quoted. The actual second appointment was in mid to late April (20th or so?). I was told I would need two more...she booked the last one for May 22 this past Wednesday, upon which I recieved a text from her that morning saying she didn't have enough done to warrant me coming. It's almost an hour drive. She rescheduled for this past Saturday....when I got there she was stitching something on the bodice, so ten minutes later I got in the dress to see that the skirt was still pinned to the skirt, and side seams still not done, and two points in bustle not complete. This was no different than the last appointment in April.

I'm supposed yo go back this coming Friday, just 8 days short of the big day, and ill be honest I'm upset and concerned that it won't be done.

For reference.. after she rescheduled this week I did call the salon owner who said I wasn't the only bride she had done this with but she assured me it would be done.

Saturdays fitting, despite feeling pointless, also brought up her asking me if I could come back two more Times ....this Friday and again Sunday, as Saturday she can't she has a wedding that day.

I don't know what to think/do....I'm not a worried type girl, but I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do.

Is this a normal time frame? Last minute?
Also...any suggestions on what I should do if I go back Friday and its not done.

TIA, I appreciate any and all feedback <3
Christie + Chad ~June 8, 2013~
 CPT & mama to 9 kids, one SIL & a grandbaby girl!

Re: my wedding is in 12 days and dress isnt done

• Options
    That should say skirt was still pinned to bodice, sorry on my phone and didn't proof read very well...
  • Options
    I would be calling to pick up my dress, done or not. Pay for what's been done and take it somewhere else. 
  • Options
    yes that is extremely unprofessional, I'd probably ask for a discount of some kind.  If you do know of someone closer to you who could help you out in a pinch, I would take the dress as is on Friday.  I know every dress is different, but I had an initial fitting and it was done 1 month later when we arranged to come back (my dress is in my hometown, 4 hours from me). I had simple alterations, but still, your adventure seems ridiculous!  Sorry for the extra stress, but all you can do is trust it will be done, and I would be on the phone every day with the owner guaranteeing it will be done for you on Friday.  Hang on there... PS we are wedding weekend twins (I am on the 7th).

Anniversary
  • Options
    Ok, good suggestions....problem is I don't know of any seamstresses in my area. The few I had talked to last week about alterations on my daughter's dress would barely commit to getting her hem on her dress done. I do know of one north of me, but no clue if she is available esp with it being busy wedding season, kwim?

I had considered telling the salon owner I wanted my $ back and then just going elsewhere and getting one off the rack. Not the best solution, but I don't know what else to do....bad idea? Good idea?? At least if I had the $ I could rush order alterations on a new one if need be w the salon I went too.
  • Options
    erinlin25 said:

yes that is extremely unprofessional, I'd probably ask for a discount of some kind.  If you do know of someone closer to you who could help you out in a pinch, I would take the dress as is on Friday.  I know every dress is different, but I had an initial fitting and it was done 1 month later when we arranged to come back (my dress is in my hometown, 4 hours from me). I had simple alterations, but still, your adventure seems ridiculous!  Sorry for the extra stress, but all you can do is trust it will be done, and I would be on the phone every day with the owner guaranteeing it will be done for you on Friday.  Hang on there... PS we are wedding weekend twins (I am on the 7th).

We are weekend twins, how cool :)
  • Options
    Hopefully since the salon owner reassured you that the dress will be done, the dress WILL in fact be done if she hopes to save the reputation of her salon. I'm sorry you've had such trouble. I say wait it out til your next appointment and if it is still not done take it AS IS and go elsewhere to a reputable seamstress. Ask around to friends in the area who have gotten married and ask for references.

I really hope it doesn't come to that--it not being done that is. I will be sending happy thoughts your way and crossing my fingers for you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    csweaney said:
    Hopefully since the salon owner reassured you that the dress will be done, the dress WILL in fact be done if she hopes to save the reputation of her salon. I'm sorry you've had such trouble. I say wait it out til your next appointment and if it is still not done take it AS IS and go elsewhere to a reputable seamstress. Ask around to friends in the area who have gotten married and ask for references.

I really hope it doesn't come to that--it not being done that is. I will be sending happy thoughts your way and crossing my fingers for you!

Thank you so much! :)  I text her this morning and told her friday was it, I wanted to pick it up that day, she said that was fine and she had planned on it anyway...here's hoping thats exactly what goes down so I can check that one off my list ;)
  • Options
    positive vibes going your way :) good luck.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  I'm supposed to pick it up today, final fitting at 10:30, here is hoping its done my schedule does not allow for a return visit (read my boss will wring my neck if I take an extra time off this coming week) lol

I'll update once she is in my hands, I can't wait!
  • Options
    I got my dress!! :)

I showed up and the salon owner had just finished steaming it....however they were going to send me out the door without trying it on :/  I asked to at least put it on, its not perfect, but the one spot that wasn't my mom thinks she can fix this week. I debated leaving it with her to fix, but was concerned that I would never get it so I opted to take it as is, which stinks because she charged me a ton and imho it should have been perfect.

But the good news is I have it in my possession, so that's a huge relief ;)

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and thoughts.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards