Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

How many dresses did you try on?

Re: How many dresses did you try on?

• Options
    I tried on about 10 dresses. I tried on my 'dream' dress but it didn't look as good as I thought it would.
  • Options
    I think I tried on 4 at David's Bridal and then maybe 4 more at Alfred Angelo. I ended up knowing exactly what I wanted and how much I wanted to spend. But when I had gone to try on the stores didn't really have what I wanted and was mostly trying on to appease the people I brought with me. I ended up going back online and seeing the exact dress and called DB a few days afer my appointments and they had just gotten it in. I went back alone, tried it on and within 15 min it was paid for and ordered! I didn't need that magical moment or tears or anything, I just wanted something that looked good and was in my budget and that's what I got.
  • Options
    I tried on roughly 10 dresses. But I went into the bridal shop saying "I dont know what styles will look good on me but these are some dresses that i like" and my consultant did the rest. I ended up having the "this is my dress moment" on my last dress of that appointment :)
  • Options
    I tried on at least 35-40 dresses. I just couldn't decide what style I wanted because I felt like they all looked "nice". But then I finally found the one and tried on about 5 more just to make sure.
  • Options

My situation is a little different, because my aunt is making my dress.  I went to go try on dresses at DB so we could get a sense of what I wanted/didn't want.

I think I tried on 8 dresses.  There's one in particular that I fell in love with, and she's basically making a replica of that dress :)

• Options
    Yeah I tried on close to 75. The odd thing is it didnt feel like 75 dresses (it felt more like 20). It wasnt until I did the math at how many I tried on at each botique that I figured that out. I made the mistake of trying on a dress before we had our budget worked out. so every dress that was in budget just didnt compare. I wound up getting the over budget dress and paid the difference so my mom (who bought the dress) wouldnt have to. - thanks Mom! :D
  • Options
    I tried on eight dresses. It was nice and easy; just me and my parents at David's Bridal.  I had no idea what I wanted and the gal helping me was very nice and patient with my indecisiveness! I ended up picking the sixth dress I tried on. All lace, intricate beading/embroidery on the front and back, zipper back, sweetheart neckline, and the cathedral train. I love everything about my dress I didn't even need to adjust the top; just the hem! And the price was fantastic! I loved the whole process of finding my dress.  Seeing my mother's eyes well up was priceless when I finally picked the gown.
  • Options
    I tried on six dresses, but ended up getting the second one I put on.  The style wasn't what I was looking for at all, so I was completely surprised at how great it was.  If you are going to salons make sure that you have people with you that you trust to know your body type and what looks good on you.  If my friend hadn't picked it up I'm sure I would've tried on a lot more dresses.  Anyway, I had my "moment", and I think everyone should be able to experience it no matter how many dresses they need to try.
  • Options
    I tried on 5 and ended up buying the first one I put on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I tried on 5 and surprisingly I bought the FIRST dress I tried on! You will know when you have found the right one....Goodluck :)
  • Options
    I tried on about 40

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I felt rushed during the process at first. I tried on around 10. I'm also under 5 ft and felt like whatever I tried, was going to need major tweaking anyways. But I'm in love with my dress.
  • Options
    i tried on ONE that blew my mind by Lazaro and that was it! I had seen thousands of dresses online and didn't jaw drop until I saw that one. I tried it on and that was about it. I was very picky and just when I thought I wasn't going to love any (almost went the custom-made route) but I fell in love with that one.
  • Options
    I tried on like 10-12 dresses and the dress I choose wasn't even on my wish list to try on. I was just browsing through the racks and saw this dress and I thought it looked beautiful and I  put it on and my consultant was like this dress is for you and when I saw my moms and stepmoms face I knew it was the one. I couldn't take it off for like an hour. I didn't buy it right then in there, I came back the next day with my MOH and retried it on and I buy it. I tried on many styles, my consultant was great and I only went to Davids and Alfreds. Good Luck!
  • Options
    I only tried on about 5 because I was so in love with the one that I tried on first. I got lucky though. I know it's not as easy for most people. Try on as many as you need to and try a lot of different styles. Sometimes brides end up loving the style they thought they'd hate and vice versa. Don't let anyone tell you that there is a "right" number of dresses to try on. It's different for everyone! :) 
  • Options
    i tried on 3 dresses. i ended up picking the second one, and it was nothing i originally wanted. i went in saying i didn't want satin, ivory, or a train. that's exactly what i got :)
  • Options
    I did try on at least 20 --- BUT within the first 4 dresses I tried on I knew that I found "the one". It was a little over my budget so I forced myself to go to another shop and try some more on just to see. ultimately, I went back to that dress and bought it! It is totally true you "just know" when you found the one....and yes I did have a few tears in my eyes when I said "yes to the dress"!
  • Options
    I've tried on two so far, but FI's tried on closer to ten.
    *** This account is used by two people. Lila is bitchy and up late. Bonnie is sweet and helpful. Sorry if it confuses y'all. ***
  • Options
    I have tried on two dresses---prom dresses to look at styles.
    The next dress I try on will probably be the one I buy online. I have a very specific style in mind and tried the prom dress to make sure the style fits me. My dress will be under $200 I think so that makes me happy.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I went to three shops (one big bridal shop and two small boutique-type shops) and tried on 12-15 dresses in total.

At the first, I went with a large group, tried on a half-dozen dresses, and was a bit overwhelmed. I initially picked the last dress I tried on there, but later, I realized it was much too formal/traditional (lace, full train, corseted) and didn't match our event or venue. So I went to two more shops, once by myself and once with a friend, and picked another dress that is just perfect.

I have trouble making decisions, so I'm shocked I didn't try on 100.
  • Options
    I've probably tried on 50 dresses or more...and am still probably going to schedule on more appointment to try on dresses at a trunk show. It's between a couple dresses in my head, but I wanted to try on all styles with different designers. The main reason why I think I went to so many boutiques is because I did a lot of online shopping ahead of time and found about 5-7 dresses all by different designers online which meant I needed to go to a lot of boutiques to be able to try all of those on. I'm hoping after this last appointment I'll be able to narrow it down to "the one" out of my top 2 dresses.
  • Options
    I think I tired 5 on, but pretty much knew my dress before going in. I had seen it on a mannequin when my best friend was getting married 2 years ago and fell in love. I didn't think it would still be made when I was getting married but luckily I went straight to David's Bridal. They still had it but it was on sale and going to be discontinued. I made an appointment for the next day I had off and tried it on. It was perfect and nothing else could compare. :D
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I went to one boutique and tried on 8 dresses.  The 9th dress I wore was my own, AFTER I had already bought it pre-owned online.  It was very, very similar to the one that was my favourite in the store and by the same designer, so I took the risk.  The only had two small changes from the one I tried on were things I would have wanted to change to make more like my dress, so my risk paid off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I tried on 3. I though I wanted a different style dress but the consultant quickly realized what I would look good in and had me try it on. I knew the minute I saw myself in it. 
  • Options
    I tried on 8.. I had traveled 50 miles to try on 6 at David's Bridal and then 2 at a very tiny shop a block from my house!! And there it was, the Maggie Sottero that I had fell in love with online that same morning happened to be on clearance and in the perfect size at this shop in the middle of nowhere! 
  • Options
    About 10, but fell in love with one of the first I put on.
  • Options
    i tried on about 10!  :)
  • Options
    I tried on about 50 different dresses, and went to 9 different stores.  I am plus sized, so there wasn't always a good selection in the stores I went to.  I did a lot of looking in magazines and online before I went shopping so I knew what I wanted.  However, some of the styles I thought I wanted did not work on me.  I tried on dresses that I pulled, but also that my consultants, mom, and bridesmaids pulled.  I would recommend trying on a couple out of your comfort zone.  It will help you narrow down what you are looking for whether you like the dress or not.  I guess I didn't have the traditional "moment" when I found the one.  I knew I really liked it, but I wasn't sure.  The way I knew it was the one, was because every dress I tried on after that wasn't as good, and that was the one I was always going back to in my head.  I just had my first fitting on Saturday and I am so happy with my dress.  I love it!!
  • Options
    I tried on about 30 at 3 different boutiques. The "one" for me ended up being a dress that I thought was gorgeous but not for me. It came down to 3 dresses. The dress that I thought was the one wasn't.  It ended up being that gorgeous "not for me dress". I couldn't get it out of my mind.  
  • Options
    I must have tried on 15 dresses.
    I can only remember 2 of them. 1 being a maggie sottero i liked the look of but found a bit too blingy, and the other, the allure dress i went with.

All these "rules" are silly. If you step into the dress and you dont feel good, take it off and move on. I know what works for me, so all the others didnt even register. I stepped into them and said "nah"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards