Wedding Party

Birthstone Bridesmaids Gifts

I'm looking to give each of my bridesmaids a silver initial pendant with their first initial as a bridesmaids' gift / accessory to wear on the day of the wedding. I found these and I love them: http://www.evesaddiction.com/detail_NLZ11201__853__Tiffany_Inspired_Sterling_Silver_Custom_Birthstone_Initial_Necklace.html

However, my wedding color scheme is medium purple and grey so I'd like all of the necklaces to have a purple stone, even though that's not everyone's birthstone. Do you think my bridesmaids will be offended if I give them a birthstone pendant that's not for their birth month? Or is it OK to go with it because it's not necessarily meant to be a birthstone. Please let me know what you'd do!

Re: Birthstone Bridesmaids Gifts

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    Do your bridesmaids generally wear that kind of jewelry? Honestly, giving them something to wear on the day of the wedding is not a gift to them; it's a gift for you b/c you want them to wear it for your wedding. I,personally, would never wear that necklace aside from the day I was "forced" to b/c it's not at all my style. 

ETA: You should change your screen name so your name and email address are not in it. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • its not offensive at all... if it was meant to be a birthstone gift and you got it wrong then that's one thing.
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I'm looking to give each of my bridesmaids a silver initial pendant with their first initial as a bridesmaids' gift / accessory to wear on the day of the wedding. I found these and I love them: http://www.evesaddiction.com/detail_NLZ11201__853__Tiffany_Inspired_Sterling_Silver_Custom_Birthstone_Initial_Necklace.html

However, my wedding color scheme is medium purple and grey so I'd like all of the necklaces to have a purple stone, even though that's not everyone's birthstone. Do you think my bridesmaids will be offended if I give them a birthstone pendant that's not for their birth month? Or is it OK to go with it because it's not necessarily meant to be a birthstone. Please let me know what you'd do!

First and foremost, #1, Don't ever post here again with your full name and email address. Super dangerous. Internet safety is a big deal, and this is a public international forum. Not kidding. Bad idea.

2. I would not buy grown women birthstone initial necklaces. This would be a cute gift for a girl ages, say, 5-12, but not an adult

3. Your bridesmaids don't need to wear jewelry that "matches" your wedding or your wedding colors

4. Matching jewelry to wear in the wedding is not a gift. Their bridesmaid's gift should be something catered to each individual.

• I would skip the jewelry all together and go with something different. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    I don't think I've gotten birthstone jewelry since I was about 13.

Try to get them something more personal. Think about how they'll think youre a badass gracious bride for getting them something they'll love forever.
  • Things to wear in your wedding are not gifts, they're part of the uniform. Shop for your bridesmaids individually. I personally would hate that, though I would pretend like I didn't.

• Agreed with everyone else.

I thought your original idea of giving them birthstone necklaces was nice if that's something they'd enjoy. However, you kind of ruined it when you made it about fitting into your wedding color scheme. It is not then, a gift for them. It is a gift for you, so I'd go back to the drawing board.
  • I agree with PPs; even though I personally happen to like many of the simple, silver jewelry styles that pass as BM gifts, not all women do and if it is meant for the wedding it's not a true gift.

If you do decide to buy the necklaces, I would make a plea for leaving off the initial and just having a stone. Like I said, I like a lot of BM jewelry but I would never wear initial jewelry. It feels AWish to me, and I think that's a pretty common opinion.

Good luck! I know these types of matching gifts are common but it is a good idea to consider more individual shopping.
  • I personally wouldn't mind a piece of jewelry, birthstone or otherwise, as a gift...but not as a must-wear-as-part-of-bridesmaids'-outfit.  That's not a gift.  If it were, I would have the sole right to decide if and when I'm going to wear it.
  • Thank you all for your input. I am going to think of replacing the initials with just a stone necklace for the "uniform" and I will look for additional individual bridesmaids gifts that are more personal.
  • Thank you all for your input. I am going to think of replacing the initials with just a stone necklace for the "uniform" and I will look for additional individual bridesmaids gifts that are more personal.

Sounds great! I'm sure your BM will thank you!

You should still edit your username, though. You can edit it without creating a new account.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards