Wedding Etiquette Forum

I'd never ask friends to help with the wedding...

But if they offer to help out before the wedding or on the day is it OK to accept that? I have a situation with my venue (one of MANY) where they don't set up the tables until an hour before the ceremony and they won't set up any decorations unless I assign someone to oversee it and be 100% responsible for how it looks. I can't be that person because that is right in the middle of our first look photos. I was telling a friend about it (just venting) and she offered to oversee it because she likes that kind of thing. I would never ask a friend to do work at my wedding, but is it OK to have her do this job since she offered?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I'd never ask friends to help with the wedding...

• Sure...as long as you don't think she only offered because she thought you were fishing for it.
  • Yes.  If she volunteers it's fine to accept.  I'd write her an extra thank you note for it.
  • Since she volunteered (as long as you don't think she felt pressured to do so) I would accept and not only write her a note but maybe get her a small gift as well to thank her for taking care of it for you.
  •  I don't quite understand how you have many venues- but, if a friend offers to help, yes, of course you can accept their offer. If this is something that may be overwhelming for one person- even though she offered- then you should consider hiring a day of coordinator instead. But if it's not a huge amount of decorating to oversee, and she seems confidant about it- that's fine.
  • daisey18 said:

I don't quite understand how you have many venues- but, if a friend offers to help, yes, of course you can accept their offer. If this is something that may be overwhelming for one person- even though she offered- then you should consider hiring a day of coordinator instead. But if it's not a huge amount of decorating to oversee, and she seems confidant about it- that's fine.

Pretty sure she meant one of many issues with her venue...
  • PDKH said:
     I don't quite understand how you have many venues- but, if a friend offers to help, yes, of course you can accept their offer. If this is something that may be overwhelming for one person- even though she offered- then you should consider hiring a day of coordinator instead. But if it's not a huge amount of decorating to oversee, and she seems confidant about it- that's fine.
    This is how I understood it as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • PDKH said:

That makes sense now. Thanks!
  • its fine. I would get hera small thank you gift also.
  • Kate61487 said:

Yes.  If she volunteers it's fine to accept.  I'd write her an extra thank you note for it.

This.
    *********************************************************************************

• Absolutely. My bridesmaids and an aunt set up our reception while I was getting my hair done.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • If she offered then of course it's okay.
  • If she offered, certainly.  Give her a nice thank-you note and gift (it doesn't have to be large or expensive, but nice).
  • Thanks, ladies! I just know that it is rude to ask (not that I ever would, if I need help my FI can help me, or maybe my mum is she is able to) but I wasn't sure if it was OK to take volunteers.

Thanks again!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • "I'd like to help you with your wedding."

"No, I can't ask guests to help. I really think that's rude and I want you to enjoy your day."

"But I insist! I really want to help. I love you and want to help make your day beautiful."

"Are you sure? We sure could use some help."

"Then it's a done deal. I will gladly help. Just tell me when and where I need to be."
  • I don't offer help unless I'm serious.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • "I'd like to help you with your wedding."

"No, I can't ask guests to help. I really think that's rude and I want you to enjoy your day."

"But I insist! I really want to help. I love you and want to help make your day beautiful."

"Are you sure? We sure could use some help."

"Then it's a done deal. I will gladly help. Just tell me when and where I need to be."
    I don't see why she has to decline at all.

I do what you're saying with money. Like if someone tries to pick up the tab, I make them insist twice before I put my wallet away.

Not everyone is going to insist by nature. You tell my fiance no, he's going to just say "ok, well I'm here if you need anything"...and then you'd feel dumb asking him to do what he originally offered to help you with when he was serious about offering in the first place.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards