Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

I think it's not a problem...but after reading some posts I am not too sure...

13»

Re: I think it's not a problem...but after reading some posts I am not too sure...

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    k1b9sp1 said:
    From dictionary.com:

e·lope·ment

[ih-lohp-muhnt] 

noun
    1. an act or instance of running off secretly, as to be married.

wed·ding
    [wed-ing] 
    noun
    1. the act or ceremony of marrying; marriage; nuptials.
    2. the anniversary of a marriage, or its celebration: They invited guests to their silver wedding.

Nobody said a JOP ceremony doesn't make you married, but an elopement is NOT a wedding.   And if you invite guests to your ceremony, you didn't elope - that was your wedding.  Now do you see the distinction?

The bolded makes clear that this assertion is bullshit. If a marriage takes place during an "elopement," then that "elopement" IS a "wedding."  Cut the crap.
  • From dictionary.com:

e·lope·ment

[ih-lohp-muhnt] 

noun

wed·ding
    [wed-ing] 
    noun
    2. the anniversary of a marriage, or its celebration: They invited guests to their silver wedding.

Nobody said a JOP ceremony doesn't make you married, but an elopement is NOT a wedding.   And if you invite guests to your ceremony, you didn't elope - that was your wedding.  Now do you see the distinction?

Sorry but you are wrong again.  Look at the definitions you provided.  An elopement is (I am summarizing here) running off to be married secretively.  Then you have the definition of wedding as the act of marrying.  So if in an elopement you are completely the act of marrying how in hell is an elopement also not a wedding?  Also do you believe that the only way to celebrate your anniversary is with others?  No, you can celebrate your anniversary in private and it still counts as a celebration.  Same with having a wedding in private with no one knowing about it (which is an elopement) and it still be your wedding.  Unless you can find me a definition of 'wedding' that states that others have to be invited or attend for it to be a true wedding then you will just continue to be wrong and continue to offend many people on these boards who had lovely weddings where it was just the two of them and an officiant.

• k1b9sp1 said:
    From dictionary.com:

e·lope·ment

[ih-lohp-muhnt] 

noun

wed·ding
    [wed-ing] 
    noun

I'm not sure what is going on with the text coloring on my computer, but I wanted to respond to your definition of wedding:

the act or ceremony of marrying; marriage; nuptials.

When I got married, I had a ceremony. As part of that ceremony, I exchanged vows, rings, and signed legal papers that declared we were legally husband and wife according to the law. I went through the same EXACT motions as amost every other bride on here who invited guests to their wedding. I just happened to not invite any one to witness the exchange of vows and not only that, I just happened to not tell most people beforehand, including parents and family members. There were people there that saw us get married- the celebrant, the photographer, and the wedding coordinator. I just didn't actually invite anyone (besides, it would have been really selfish to ask anyone to travel to Australia to see us get married. It isn't a short trip by any stretch.)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards