Snarky Brides
Options

"Weird" things you and your SO do

hordolhordol member
First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited July 2013 in Snarky Brides
What are some of your couple quirks? I was just kind of thinking about some of the things H and I do that are perfectly normal for us, but other couples might find weird. For example, I get off work before him (and am right now not working because I'm a teacher) and when it's time for him to get off work I always call and we chat while he drives home, even though I'm going to see him in 30 minutes. Maybe that's not weird, per say, but I'm sure some might find it clingy. We also treat our dogs like children and refer to each other as mommy or daddy to the dogs. Yes, I know that's dumb and believe me, before I got dogs I would have rolled my eyes so hard at that but now, well, it's one of our quirks. There are others but they are probably too weird that they wouldn't be understood, heh.

What about you guys?

ETA: I think what makes the phone call during the commute particularly weird is that half the time we just sit there in silence but neither of us feel like hanging up. We talk for the first 15-20 minutes and then we sit in silence and I just kinda wait for him to say "okay I pulled on our street!" and then I hang up. That probably is a little more weird...

PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: "Weird" things you and your SO do

• Options
    BF and I eat kit salads (like from Fresh Express) out of one bowl with 2 forks. We hate dishes.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    monkeysipmonkeysip member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2013
    We probably seem really clingy to people when we say goodbye.  We would say goodbye to each other a dozen times before the other finally drove away.*  I'm sure it made people sick, but we didn't care (we didn't usually do it in front of a bunch of people, but if anyone was watching out of their windows, I mean).

We also do the dog thing.  Before we were married, I would always refer to him as "daddy" to my dog, and his automatic reply was always "I ain't her daddy!"  (In a funny voice; he does know proper grammar).

Finally he just submitted to being her daddy.  :)

We like to use funny names for each other.  Like, he'll call me his "smelly little gremlin", and I just think it's adorable.  Again, we usually don't do things like that in public, but maybe once in a while in front of a family member.

We also think farting is HILARIOUS.  We totally fart in front of each other and crack up laughing.  

* ETA:  That was before we lived together.  Now that we live together, our goodbyes are more normal.

SaveSave
  • Options

@hordol H and I do the same exact things!  So no, I do not think any of those things are "weird" :)

We also call each other if we need something.  Say if I was upstairs and he was on the main floor (we live in a three story townhome) and I wanted him to move the laundry around I will call him on the phone rather then get up and yell down the stairs.  He does the same thing if he wants me to preheat the oven or something else completely ridiculous.  And yes, we are both lazy.

• Options
    hordolhordol member
    monkeysip said:
    We probably seem really clingy to people when we say goodbye.  We would say goodbye to each other a dozen times before the other finally drove away.*  I'm sure it made people sick, but we didn't care (we didn't usually do it in front of a bunch of people, but if anyone was watching out of their windows, I mean).

We also do the dog thing.  Before we were married, I would always refer to him as "daddy" to my dog, and his automatic reply was always "I ain't her daddy!"  (In a funny voice; he does know proper grammar).

Finally he just submitted to being her daddy.  :)

We like to use funny names for each other.  Like, he'll call me his "smelly little gremlin", and I just think it's adorable.  Again, we usually don't do things like that in public, but maybe once in a while in front of a family member.

We also think farting is HILARIOUS.  We totally fart in front of each other and crack up laughing.  

* ETA:  That was before we lived together.  Now that we live together, our goodbyes are more normal.
    Haha we actually sound a lot like you guys! We do the farting thing too and we have ridiculous nicknames. My husband's nickname rotates every couple weeks but right now I'm stuck on "Chunk Monkey" or "Monkey Chunks", or sometimes it's "Skunk Monkey". If people heard us, they would probably think I was verbally abusive.

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    We do the "mommy" and "daddy" things with my cat, but not with his. That is to say, I'm mom to my cat and he's dad to my cat, but I'm not mom to his cat. He's dad to his own cat.
  • Options
    hordolhordol member

@hordol H and I do the same exact things!  So no, I do not think any of those things are "weird" :)

We also call each other if we need something.  Say if I was upstairs and he was on the main floor (we live in a three story townhome) and I wanted him to move the laundry around I will call him on the phone rather then get up and yell down the stairs.  He does the same thing if he wants me to preheat the oven or something else completely ridiculous.  And yes, we are both lazy.

Haha, that's great! I used to do that to my sister when we were both still living with my parents and my parents thought we were the laziest people on earth.

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    we both make up weird songs about everyday life and sing them incessantly...and they include alot of foul language. an example: we live in nyc, and deal with alot of traffic so a song might be "douchebags on the bqe".
  • Options
    We have long "conversations" of nothing but nonsense syllables.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    fyrefly76 said:
    xcalygrl said:
    We have reversed roles sometimes. I'll be outside working in the yard or garage, and he will be in the house doing housework or laundry. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens quite often.
    The day I realized that we had reversed roles was my favorite day at our current apartment!  I was using my cordless drill to put up curtain rods and looked over to see him cooking stuffed peppers.  Awesome!

monkeysip said:

His "pet name" for me is Stinky.  No idea how it started, but it totally stuck, and I just answer to it.  But he doesn't call me that in front of other people, just when we're home or otherwise alone.

I can't think of anything truly weird that we do.  But our hobby is a little odd.  We are geocachers, which means we use billion dollar satellite systems to search for tupperware in the woods.  We plan our vacations around geocaching, as in driving from Chicago to DC in order to geocache in 7 new states.  It can take us 8 hours to drive 100 miles.  And we crossed the border into Canada to spend 3 hours finding two geocaches, the border crossing guy rolled his eyes at us.
    first time i've heard of geocaching....so cool!
  • Options
    @monkeysip We do the puppy "mommy & daddy" thing too, and I always say she looks just like her daddy and he will lament that "That puppy don't look like me!"

We pretend fight and he will wrestle me into weird positions and giggle while I wiggle.

Previously Alaynajuliana

• Options
    We say "nom" to each other. I guess it's another word for love you. A lot of our text messages just contain the word nom.

He calls me s*^$ muffin. As well as Jemelera (which is a mix of all my names - my first name, 3 middle names and maiden name) and Boobella

We have skipped down the street while holding hands before

We joke about anal sex a lot. Neither of us really wants to do it either. I think we just joke about it to make each other cringe.
    Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

• Options
    hordolhordol member
    Hahaha this is great, I was chuckling while reading these. @chibiyui We meow too! We usually do this when we have a lull in conversation.

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    My FI also calls me stinky, or punk ass. 

We do the "mommy" and "daddy" thing with our dog too.

FI likes to sing songs that I like, except he'll change the words to make it super goofy.
  • Options
    hordol said:
    Hahaha this is great, I was chuckling while reading these. @chibiyui We meow too! We usually do this when we have a lull in conversation.
    OMG I LOVE YOUR CORGI

Anniversary
  • Options

Other weird thing, sometimes when we are watching tv or when we are talking, rather than sitting next to each other on the couch we sit at opposite ends and stretch our legs out so that they are lying on top of, or between, or under the other person's legs. 
    We do this, too!
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Options
    CLoGreenEyesCLoGreenEyes member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    Harry87 said:
    Personal favorite quirky thing lots of people do:
    When you go to bed and you don't want to be all over each other, but you also want to be connected, so you both lie on your sides and make your butts touch.

That is just the ultimate I Love You: touching butts while sleeping.
    Hahaha, this is the truth, and so necessary for the weather where we are right now.
  • Options
    We do call our cats our ''sons'', and we are cat-mommy and cat-daddy. 

My fiancé is amazed by my eyes, because he can't quite decide wether they are light brown or green (depends on the light in the room, the makeup color I use, etc.). So one day I said with sarcasm ''so basically they're diarrhea-like'' and it stayed. So whenever he compliments me on my eyes, he can't help but ''admire my beautiful diarrhea eyes''.

Ah, and since I find farting hilarious, when he really wants to make me laugh, he prepares one and ceremoniously farts on one of our cats !

• Options
    Harry87 said:
    Personal favorite quirky thing lots of people do:
    When you go to bed and you don't want to be all over each other, but you also want to be connected, so you both lie on your sides and make your butts touch.

That is just the ultimate I Love You: touching butts while sleeping.
    My H calls this "spoons in a drawer".  It started because I always want to spoon when we fall asleep and he doesn't usually want to.  So, he will face away from me and our butts will touch, and when I say that I want to spoon, he says we're already spoons in a drawer. 

• Options
    hordolhordol member
    chibiyui said:
    hordol said:
    OMG I LOVE YOUR CORGI
    Haha thanks, she's a doll!

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    We have fake arguements over silly things including yelling and then we burst out into giggles.

Anniversary

• Options
    Another weird thing my H and I did, well before we even started dating was we discussed future baby names in great detail for 2 hours. We still laugh about that now, since we were basically just FWB at the time.
    Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

• Options
    FI and I both have desk jobs and we text all day, every day... there are days when we are busy and its not as much, but we still do it LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hordolhordol member
    @Slytherin RN 

We have developed a persona for both of our dogs, too! Our yellow lab has an Eeyore personality and our corgi is an angry diva. We talk for them both as well and I try not to do it in front of other people, but sometimes H lets it slip out and I think "Wow...they must think we're insane..."

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    Hmmm... 

This is hard, because like others of you have mentioned.... some of them aren't "weird" to us.... 

Let's see...  We totally do the butt touching sleeping thing... and the farting thing (mine are the noisy type and his are the "silent but deadly" ones...) 

I am also my cat's "Mom" (even FMIL has started saying that to the cat when I get home) and he is her Dad.  That took a while, but it happened.  We also text each other chores from across the house. 

We have mean nicknames for each other. He's my Jerk-face, and I'm Dork, Punk-Butt, Stinky, or Turd, depending on his mood. 

I guess the oddest thing we do is that we make funny faces at each other from across the room.  All the time. In Public or not.  It's our weird little way of letting the other know that we are still connected.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    OMG...we have developed the "personas" for our dogs, too.  With voices, accents, etc.

*** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    DH's nickname for me is "Bratmonster." My friends found out about this during a silly bachelorette party game and thought I was crazy for being ok with it. I think it's adorable (plus I'm kind of a brat sometimes, so it's warranted). It has now morphed into our cats being called "catmonster" and "kittenmonster" as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards