Snarky Brides
Options

"Weird" things you and your SO do

Re: "Weird" things you and your SO do

• Options
    My husband also cracks my back for me. Multiple times a day. I ask him to, otherwise it gets painful. I'll lay on the floor and he'll sit on my butt and push on my upper back. Probably not healthy, and people think we're weird. But it's what we do.
    Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

• Options
    Instead of the butt touching in bed its our feet. Also, my dog is CONSTANTLY refered to as HIS "daughter", even thougth she was mine before we started dating. We also like to drive to Costco and buy a pound of our favorite cheese and eat it in bed. Also, if neither of us feels like cooking dinner, he will go to the Chinese restaurant down the road and get a pint of hot and sour soup and then we will go and buy me a bag of crazy bread from little ceasars
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Another weird thing my H and I did, well before we even started dating was we discussed future baby names in great detail for 2 hours. We still laugh about that now, since we were basically just FWB at the time.
    I didn't even think of that! We do that, but we're never serious. One of my personal favorites was "Martha." For our hypothetical son, of course. Shinji Ikari H-- was also up there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    We also call ourselves "mommy" and "daddy" to our dog and we make up songs about her having a big belly, being a monkey, wearing pajama pants, and loving us. 

We make out and/or dance in elevators when we're alone.

• Options

I think the strangest thing about me and FI is that we NEVER talk on the phone. We text a lot and we talk when we are together but almost never on the phone. In the 3 1/2 years we have been together if we have had 25 phone conversations I would be surprised.

We also keep going back to the a conversation we once had about owning a monkey and having nannies to help us take care of it.  Not only would we never actually do it but I would never get a pet that I cannot take care of on my own so its just ridiculous nonsense.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    We say I love you weird.  Like sometimes, just for goofiness, we'll say "I wuv you" or "I wuvses you" instead of I love you.  Not all the time but pretty frequently.
  • Options

I think the strangest thing about me and FI is that we NEVER talk on the phone. We text a lot and we talk when we are together but almost never on the phone. In the 3 1/2 years we have been together if we have had 25 phone conversations I would be surprised.

GAHHHHH, I can't get out of the quote box now, but BF and I are horrible at talking on the phone too. Friends who have listened to one end of the conversation are always amazed at how short and to the point we are. If we do talk on the phone, it's usually like, "Can you pick up some bread?" or something. We have had to get better at this since he has started going away more on business trips, but it's still awkward, lol.

• Options
    chibiyui said:
    We meow to each other. Instead of verbalizing we want something (usually food or the others attention) we'll meow. We do not have any cats and we don't do it when other people are around.
    hordol said:
    Hahaha this is great, I was chuckling while reading these. @chibiyui We meow too! We usually do this when we have a lull in conversation.
    Husband and I also meow/purr. It started because while we were dating (have been together 2.5 yrs; married 1 month) he said "I love you" and...well, I cried. I'd never been able to say the words. So a couple of weeks later I purred at him and nuzzled his neck. In my head it meant "ily". Every time he said it, I'd purr. Eventually I told him I couldn't say the words but I could purr...so now, we purr and meow :):) I'm glad we're no the only strange ones.
  • Options
    We also do the "spoons in a drawer" though I've never heard it called that, I like it!

FI and I complete or play off each others movie quotes.  FI quotes movies incessantly, it's like that's what his memory was built for.  For example, while it was storming last night:
    FI: Big old fat rain
    Me: Itty bitty stingin' rain
  • Options
    @Harry87 Darn it, you ate all the ox tail?  You could have saved some for me!  I LOVE cow tongue - it is my favourite part of the cow, and tail soup is very tasty.

• Options
    My FI and I are weird, but it looks like we aren't that weird because some of you do the things that we do.  We have code words for things, like "I love you" or "you look really good right now".

He talks in accents to me all the time.  They are sometimes impressive but mostly start to merge into one crazy unrecognizable accent.  It is amusing.

We have plans to build our own house - to make it look like a castle.  He has gone so far as to draw up plans, and we had discussed ad naseum about the problems of electrical and water lines and digging a moat.  And also where the draw bridge will be and whether or not it is plausible to have it big enough to support a car or if we should then have a detached garage. 

I have a rabbit, but I am not his mother and my FI is therefore not his daddy, so we aren't weird on that front.  I do have a hard time sharing my bunny though . . . so my FI recognizes that when I grit my teeth and eventually say that soon it will be his bunny too, it is difficult.  We aren't married yet, so it is still my bunny, all mine!!!

• Options
    We talk like we're our cat.

Sometimes, he'll crawl on the floor and pretend he's a cat. The cat gets really confused when that happens, but he usually plays along anyway.

And FI would kill me if he ever realized that I told other people about those, but such is life.
    This is so funny, because my husband does the same!  He acts like a cat, and "pounces" onto the bed at night and kneads the mattress.  He would never do it in front of anyone but me.
  • Options
    gpeeples said:
    We talk like we're our cat.

Sometimes, he'll crawl on the floor and pretend he's a cat. The cat gets really confused when that happens, but he usually plays along anyway.

And FI would kill me if he ever realized that I told other people about those, but such is life.
    This is so funny, because my husband does the same!  He acts like a cat, and "pounces" onto the bed at night and kneads the mattress.  He would never do it in front of anyone but me.
    Yep. FI does that too. We'd be a Crazy Cat Couple, but we're both allergic :(

Anniversary
  • Options
    FI and I will have random dance offs around the apartment when we clean. It keeps things interesting. 
  • Options
    We invented a whole family for our dog, who we adopted at the shelter. 

He has a brother in Cleveland who lives with doctors and lives a luxurious life and looks down on our dog.

He has a mother in a nursing home in Columbus.

He has a sister that also lives in Columbus who has never made anything of her life. She lives on the streets. 

If my husband travels to Ohio, he'll text me saying he's meeting up with my dog's brother at a restaurant, and then he'll call later and say that my dog's brother ate his steak when he went to the bathroom.

We're so weird.
  • Options
    I loved reading all of these, makes me and my SO seem far less lone in the world as far as "couple weirdness" goes :)

We call each other "bubby." It's a mix between baby and puppy, and the "puppy" part comes from this random habit we started where one of us will wake the other up in the morning by rapidly sniffing/kissing their ear, neck, face, etc., like how a puppy kisses. 

When we don't sleep together at one or the other's house, we will fall asleep on the phone... and by that, I mean I will fall asleep on the phone while he stays up and does his thing (he's a DJ, so he's a total night owl and gets most of his mixing done throughout the night). When I wake up in the morning, the call is usually still connected and he's finally asleep.

We also obsessively pop each other's pimples/bumps. I know it's disgusting but we can't stop.
  • Options
    Every time my SO cracks his neck he says " did you hear that?!" And I act like his bones cracking is so crazy. And I say " wow that was crazy". It happens multiple times a day so I have to come up with new things to say to him every time. Idk its not shocking to me but I'd feel like a batch not saying anything .
  • Options
    missjeckamissjecka member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2013
    My guy and I scare each other all the time. I do so more to him than he does to me (he's not good at being sneaky!). Once he scared me so badly that I cried, and many times I've scared him so badly that he's fallen over. Sometimes we get each other so paranoid that if one of us walks into a room and the other isn't there, we are suddenly tensed up wondering where they're hiding... only to find out that they're in the bathroom or cooking or something else innocent.

Along the lines of what some of you have posted, we don't really talk on the phone, either. The only time we talked on the phone semi-regularly was when we were long-distance for two years. Even then, we talked maybe once per week. My friends thought I was insane because they would talk to their significant others on the phone daily (or many times per day) even though they're local.

I also love to embarrass him by dancing like a maniac in the passenger seat while he's driving. It gets other drivers to look at the both of us like we're insane, and I find it hillllarious!

When we're out and about, we like to "race" up and down staircases. We'll start off innocently, just walking up stairs or up an escalator... then one of us will start sprinting up. Whoever is the first to reach the landing wins! (And, yes, we get stares when we do this because it's always in public...)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    missjecka said:
    My guy and I scare each other all the time. I do so more to him than he does to me (he's not good at being sneaky!). Once he scared me so badly that I cried, and many times I've scared him so badly that he's fallen over. Sometimes we get each other so paranoid that if one of us walks into a room and the other isn't there, we are suddenly tensed up wondering where they're hiding... only to find out that they're in the bathroom or cooking or something else innocent.

Along the lines of what some of you have posted, we don't really talk on the phone, either. The only time we talked on the phone semi-regularly was when we were long-distance for two years. Even then, we talked maybe once per week. My friends thought I was insane because they would talk to their significant others on the phone daily (or many times per day) even though they're local.

I also love to embarrass him by dancing like a maniac in the passenger seat while he's driving. It gets other drivers to look at the both of us like we're insane, and I find it hillllarious!

When we're out and about, we like to "race" up and down staircases. We'll start off innocently, just walking up stairs or up an escalator... then one of us will start sprinting up. Whoever is the first to reach the landing wins! (And, yes, we get stares when we do this because it's always in public...)
    My FI and I do that too!  And I also do the whole "holy cow he's not in this room so he's going to jump out at me AAAHHH!!" thing as well.  And then he'll just be standing somewhere laughing at me because he knows what I was thinking. 

• Options
    We play a weird version of twenty questions where we try to guess who the other person is thinking of and don't actually count the questions. We don't sit down and say, "Okay, let's play the character identification game." It's more of a walking through the produce section and saying "Ohhh, I've got a good one!" And we start. We don't keep score, but if we did, I'd be winning.

We accuse each other of being "poop googlers." It started, because I have a habit of verbing his noun. SO he'll say "I'm buying bread." and I'll say "I'll buy your bread in a minute." He was telling a strange comics related story, and said "it's true, you can google that shit!" And reflexively, "I'll google your shit in a minute." We've been denying and accusing of googling poop ever since.

We make really weird noises at each other instead of talking sometimes.

He calls me sad legs, poop googler, and silly silly butt head.

I call him google pooper, stodgemeister, and stinkbrain.

He is very protective  of his belly for some reason, so I try to kiss it all the time. He's not ticklish, so the closest I can get is surprise kissing his belly.

He gets too hot if we snuggle at night, but I'm the snuggle master, and usually end up all up in his buisness. If I notice it happening, I'll say "Hey, how's it going?"  before venturing back to my side of the bed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    MajideMajide member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    cruffino said:
    we both make up weird songs about everyday life and sing them incessantly...and they include alot of foul language. an example: we live in nyc, and deal with alot of traffic so a song might be "douchebags on the bqe".

:D We also make up songs about everyday things.  And then just random stuff.  Sometime's we will just take a normal song and change the words for the heck of it.  We are always breaking into sing-song with eachother.

This morning we made up a story about how Darth Vader is just misunderstood.  He just wants friends, and nobody will come to his parties.  So we will make up stories together kinda regularly.

The meowing thing, yep, we do random animal noises at eachother - usually he will more than I do.  When we were doing engagement photos, he started making animal sounds and I got embarrassed and reminded him there were people there :) He didn't care.

I'm sure there are lots of odd things we do... I'll have to give it some thought. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Long time lurker, first time poster! BTW, I love you SBs. 

Weird things? We definitely have those. Our weirdest, however, is probably our "I love you" that we've developed. We only do it when we're alone (for obvious reasons) because it entails burying your face in the other one's chest and yelling "I love you" at their heart. Because, apparently, when I'm drunk I get worried that "his heart can't hear my love" so I started yelling it at his heart. And somehow it has developed into an almost daily thing. He still thinks its hilarious. 

We're not butt spooners, per say. I hate being hot and feeling closed in when I sleep so I'm usually the one that turns away. So I've developed a sleeping position where I turn away but still put my hand on his hip/stomach/chest so I don't feel like an asshole.

Also, the scaring this is definitely something we do, too. We don't do it on a regular basis because then neither of us is ever really expecting it - which makes it that much scarier when it happens. I got him on Sunday morning, though. He nearly shit himself. 
  • Options
    We sing to our dog, about our dog and just say thee dog's name in random, unrelated conversations. We also sing Thanksgiving songs (to the tune of Christmas songs but all about Thanksgiving) because I love Christmas songs but FI tells me I can't sing them until December 1st. When we sing together, it's usually very loud and operatic.

We also chase each other around the house. It always makes me laugh.
  • Options
    rajahmdrajahmd member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    Ahh I love the stories of you scaring each other! I'm impressed that you're able to scare your SOs because I canNOT scare mine. I have to make it into a joke, where I hide somewhere and then I jump out silently (he usually knows where I'm hiding) with a huge, mouth-open smile and jazz hands at my cheeks.

I hate when he hides to scare me. I have locked myself in the bathroom or just left the apartment many times to avoid it.
  • Options
    hordol said:
    What are some of your couple quirks? I was just kind of thinking about some of the things H and I do that are perfectly normal for us, but other couples might find weird. For example, I get off work before him (and am right now not working because I'm a teacher) and when it's time for him to get off work I always call and we chat while he drives home, even though I'm going to see him in 30 minutes. Maybe that's not weird, per say, but I'm sure some might find it clingy. We also treat our dogs like children and refer to each other as mommy or daddy to the dogs. Yes, I know that's dumb and believe me, before I got dogs I would have rolled my eyes so hard at that but now, well, it's one of our quirks. There are others but they are probably too weird that they wouldn't be understood, heh.

What about you guys?

ETA: I think what makes the phone call during the commute particularly weird is that half the time we just sit there in silence but neither of us feel like hanging up. We talk for the first 15-20 minutes and then we sit in silence and I just kinda wait for him to say "okay I pulled on our street!" and then I hang up. That probably is a little more weird...
    .....I think you may have stolen my life...
  • Options
    hordolhordol member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    hordol said:
    What are some of your couple quirks? I was just kind of thinking about some of the things H and I do that are perfectly normal for us, but other couples might find weird. For example, I get off work before him (and am right now not working because I'm a teacher) and when it's time for him to get off work I always call and we chat while he drives home, even though I'm going to see him in 30 minutes. Maybe that's not weird, per say, but I'm sure some might find it clingy. We also treat our dogs like children and refer to each other as mommy or daddy to the dogs. Yes, I know that's dumb and believe me, before I got dogs I would have rolled my eyes so hard at that but now, well, it's one of our quirks. There are others but they are probably too weird that they wouldn't be understood, heh.

What about you guys?

ETA: I think what makes the phone call during the commute particularly weird is that half the time we just sit there in silence but neither of us feel like hanging up. We talk for the first 15-20 minutes and then we sit in silence and I just kinda wait for him to say "okay I pulled on our street!" and then I hang up. That probably is a little more weird...
    .....I think you may have stolen my life...
    Haha funny!! :)

About the pimple popping: My husband has a strange obsession with popping my pimples. I can't say I share this obsession though, this is all him!

But as far as writing and singing weird songs go, that's mostly my job in our relationship. :D Hah.

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    Another pimple obsessed FI here. Except I insist he let me out neosporin on it after, I'm all about cleanliness.

Previously Alaynajuliana

• Options

We have a few weird quirks:

1) We chase each other around the house ALL the time (naked a lot too!). If I tease him about something he will pick me up, run around the house and bodyslam me onto the bed.

2) Instead of babe, we call each other "beb"..similar but shorter and in a weird accent. We do it in public too. It really comes in handy when we're in a big group of friends and we yell "hey BEB!" across the room to quickly get one anothers attention.

3) Call each other mommy and daddy when we are talking to the dog. Yes, I can't believe I have turned into one of those people... :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We talk about the FISH (and aquatic frogs) like they are our kids....we can't have dogs or cats since we both have horrid allergies so we kinda treat our fish like others treat their dog/cat (and FI is a big military guy who gets SO sad when we lose a fish!). We talk about their behavior like it is more meaningful than it really can be and give them personalities.  And we call each other their Mommy and Daddy.

We also call our Roomba vacuum "The Puppy"....we figure it runs around, often into our feet, and if we don't see it for too long, we worry it got into trouble (same with if it gets a little noisy....it is usually "stuck").  Luckily, this puppy is reversed in terms of leaving hair or other mess (see the allergies thing...seriously, if we have a kid, it will come out sneezing, blind, and hairy!)

I think a lot of people do the one says "I love You", the other replies "I Love You MORE!" thing but we also just use LYM as a shorthand in texts or notes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards