Wedding Etiquette Forum

GoFundMe...had to share

Re: GoFundMe...had to share

• Well...how much have they raised so far? I'm guessing about $11.
  • I am proud that I paid (well currently paying - 4 years later) for my own education. I took it way more seriously then my classmates that didn't have to worry about it! I worked part time to cover extra expenses with loans and grants for the bulk of it. AND I still found time to party, have 4 of the best years of my life and meet my Fiance that I get to share all those college memories with <3.

Anniversary
  • daria24 said:
    Well...how much have they raised so far? I'm guessing about $11.
    You underestimate people's need to fund other people's children's education!  I just checked...not kidding...is $13

• daria24 said:

You underestimate people's need to fund other people's children's education!  I just checked...not kidding...is $13

Are there notes with the donations?
  • daria24 said:
    Really, I'm sad that it's that much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I think they should add on a beer fund as well...
    Why stop at beer? As long as it's other people's money, let's shoot for top-shelf hard liquor.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • BMore, you should suggest their daughter look into applying for scholarships, unless of course their Special Snowflake a) finds it too hard and taxing to apply or b) doesn't have the grades/scores/background to obtain any merit or financial need based scholarships or grants....

I'm proud to say I busted my tail in high school to obtain a scholarship covering all tuition for an in state public university, plus a stipend for books and supplies. I entered essay contests, and worked minimum wage dealing with bratty children every summer to pay for school stuff. I lived in non-ac dorms in FLORIDA to save money. And my parents could afford to assist me, but I was 18, an adult damnit, and it was time to cover my own butt!

• jss0302 said:
    AnitaH08 said:

I think they should add on a beer fund as well...
    Why stop at beer? As long as it's other people's money, let's shoot for top-shelf hard liquor.
    Hell, I want better boobs. Headed to gofundme now. I'll send you guys a link soon.
    Why stop there? I don't want to go to my job interview next week. I should see if people will fund my food and housing for the next year.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I really hate shit like this. I'm paying my way for school, by the time I graduate I'll have $25,000 in debt but and I work full time to cover the extra 4000 a year my loans don't cover.
  • BMoreBride6BMoreBride6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2013

BMore, you should suggest their daughter look into applying for scholarships, unless of course their Special Snowflake a) finds it too hard and taxing to apply or b) doesn't have the grades/scores/background to obtain any merit or financial need based scholarships or grants....

I'm proud to say I busted my tail in high school to obtain a scholarship covering all tuition for an in state public university, plus a stipend for books and supplies. I entered essay contests, and worked minimum wage dealing with bratty children every summer to pay for school stuff. I lived in non-ac dorms in FLORIDA to save money. And my parents could afford to assist me, but I was 18, an adult damnit, and it was time to cover my own butt!

Someone commented something along the line of, "has she looked into any scholarship opportunities", to which the family replied, "She already had to go through an application process which included an essay, an interview, and 2 orientations..." and left it at that.  

• BMore, you should suggest their daughter look into applying for scholarships, unless of course their Special Snowflake a) finds it too hard and taxing to apply or b) doesn't have the grades/scores/background to obtain any merit or financial need based scholarships or grants....

Someone commented something along the line of, "have she looked into any scholarship opportunities", to which the family replied, "She already had to go through an application process which included an essay, an interview, and 2 orientations..." and left it at that.  

I hope they know there's more than one scholarship out there.
  • Maybe it was a joke?
  •  
    Someone commented something along the line of, "have she looked into any scholarship opportunities", to which the family replied, "She already had to go through an application process which included an essay, an interview, and 2 orientations..." and left it at that.  

*facepalm*

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• NerdyLucy said:

*facepalm*

It just occurred to me that that probably wasn't even a scholarship application. That was probably just applying for college.

I hope they know there's more than one scholarship out there.
    I thought the same thing...until further comments made it appear that they were referring to the actual COLLEGE application process, not a scholarship.  
  • CLoGreenEyesCLoGreenEyes member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    Omigod...just everything about this thread...

Seriously, the entitlement these people have expressed is embarrassing. You don't get anywhere in life except by working for it. They are doing their daughter a total disservice by not allowing her to work while in school, and it is going to bite them in the ass someday when she doesn't understand why all of a sudden she needs to get a job.
  • I confess: I had a trust fund! It wasn't gigantic, but it was enough to pay for college and grad school without accumulating any student loan debt. I got the money when I was 18, and my parents basically said, "Here. This is your money. Do with it what you will. We suggest college. When it's gone, it's gone." I was responsible and made it last, and I had scholarships and jobs to help out. I was lucky, and I know it. But still, my family funded my education with, you know, THEIR money. They weren't panhandling on the internet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• lisabeatslisabeats member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2013
    BMoreBride6 said: Chipmunk415 said: BMore, you should suggest their daughter look into applying for scholarships, unless of course their Special Snowflake a) finds it too hard and taxing to apply or b) doesn't have the grades/scores/background to obtain any merit or financial need based scholarships or grants.... I'm proud to say I busted my tail in high school to obtain a scholarship covering all tuition for an in state public university, plus a stipend for books and supplies. I entered essay contests, and worked minimum wage dealing with bratty children every summer to pay for school stuff. I lived in non-ac dorms in FLORIDA to save money. And my parents could afford to assist me, but I was 18, an adult damnit, and it was time to cover my own butt!   Someone commented something along the line of, "has she looked into any scholarship opportunities", to which the family replied, "She already had to go through an application process which included an essay, an interview, and 2 orientations..." and left it at that.  

Please tell me you're making this up. GOD FORBID someone works even a
    LITTLE bit for something! The fact that this mother is so readily shutting down any potential for her or her daughter to take responsibility or charge is disgusting. I thought this suggestion and the one where someone was literally OFFERING her a job were helpful. This is disgusting.

And yes, I was fortunate that my Dad paid for the bulk of my college education. It was the most generous thing he and my grandparents could have done. I have had a job since I was 11 years old, am still paying for my graduate education. I know I was lucky, and I don't feel guilty about it, but I have never been accused of taking advantage of strangers and refusing to try to fix a problem when the solutions are right in front of me!

STABBYYYYYYY

Edit: quoting messed up
  • The fact that the suggestions for jobs and scholarships were shut down may upset me more than the initial request.  They are both so incredibly ridiculous that I don't know which is worse.

I busted my ass in high school and went to college on a large scholarship.  I was very lucky that my parents footed the bill for the rest.  But they footed the bill with THEIR money.

I still had a job to pay for expenses unrelated to school (clothes, movie tickets, and yes, a lot of beer).  I managed to study and "enjoy" college quite a bit (see previous note regarding beer), while also being involved in several student groups, holding three different internships, and working 15-20 hours a week.  Sure it meant that I made some sacrifices in my social life, but mostly it meant that I watched a lot less crappy day-time TV than my friends who didn't have jobs and whatnot. 

I paid for law school myself and took out a ton of loans to do so.  For the record, undergraduate loans are heavily subsidized by the government, so really, all of us would be contributing to this girl's education if she did take out loans.

The fact that the parents don't think their child should have to lift a finger to work or even FILL OUT AN APPLICATION or god-forbid go to an hour interview makes me sick.

Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • As someone who might be teaching her precious little snowflake in college, I am absolutely appalled by this. That being said, if this is what "parenting" consists of nowadays, that sure explains the entitlement syndrome that I see in many of my students.
  • It's actually sick that I'm so invested in this at this point (I know I should just unfriend, but I can't help myself)!  A new status appeared on my newfeed today from the same family (they have one of the Jane-John Doe accounts).  "We understand everyone has bills to pay but anyone who knows *Daughter's Name* knows she is meant to go to *College Name*.  If all of our facebook friends donated $10, we'd put a good dent in her tuition.  We need to pay our first installment in 20 days before she moves in.  If you plan on giving (Pretty please!), please do not wait!"

I couldn't make this stuff up...I keep waiting for the JUST KIDDING!  Status.  
  • GB520GB520 member
    Today I got both an email and a facebook notification from someone I probably haven't spoken to in 3 years...it was a GoFunMe account asking me to donate to pay for her daughter's college tuition because they don't want her to take out any loans...

What the WHAT???

ETA: spelling.
    These thing  are friggin ridiculous. I've seen them for people's sick kids too. Not to sound like a heartless asshole but I really think it's rude. Like have a fundraiser. Usually it's not tax deductible bc they are not a federally recognized non-profit. 

• It's actually sick that I'm so invested in this at this point (I know I should just unfriend, but I can't help myself)!  A new status appeared on my newfeed today from the same family (they have one of the Jane-John Doe accounts).  "We understand everyone has bills to pay but anyone who knows *Daughter's Name* knows she is meant to go to *College Name*.  If all of our facebook friends donated $10, we'd put a good dent in her tuition.  We need to pay our first installment in 20 days before she moves in.  If you plan on giving (Pretty please!), please do not wait!"

I'm feeling invested and I don't even know these people, so don't feel bad.

Actually, "stabby" is the best word for it. Like PPs have said, I paid for college the hard way, with jobs and loans that I'm still paying off. My mother took a second job while I was in school, just to be able to afford the gas to get there and back, and the incidentals I needed while I was there, like food and clothes. We worked hard, and we wouldn't have dreamed of doing it any other way.

Some of my friends had a lot of loans. Some had parents who were better off and could afford to pay, and that's great too. Some won scholarships -- yay for them! Some made hard choices and went to cheaper schools. If Princess Snowflake has her heart set on an expensive school, then she should go there. I went to my dream college, and it cost a small fortune. It was worth it. But I paid and paid for it, and that was my choice. Princess has to do the same.

Argh!!! I wish there was a way to knock some sense into these people. Their friends must be choking back the frustration at these posts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

White Knot

• jss0302 said:
    I still can't get over the fact that people are actually donating. 
    If it's really just $13, I'm hoping those donations were meant to be a slap in the face, or something. I'd like to go donate $0.01 for the same reason.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

White Knot

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• GB520GB520 member
    CMGr said:
    I bet she doesn't declare any "donations" as income to the IRS!
    You're right and they could go to jail for fraud if they pose it as a tax deductible donation. The little princess will have to pay student loans like the rest of us. 
  • BMoreBride6BMoreBride6 member
    edited July 2013
    GB520 said:
    Today I got both an email and a facebook notification from someone I probably haven't spoken to in 3 years...it was a GoFunMe account asking me to donate to pay for her daughter's college tuition because they don't want her to take out any loans...

What the WHAT???

ETA: spelling.
    These thing  are friggin ridiculous. I've seen them for people's sick kids too. Not to sound like a heartless asshole but I really think it's rude. Like have a fundraiser. Usually it's not tax deductible bc they are not a federally recognized non-profit. 

While I'm way more forgiving in the cases of medical issues, I agree.  My family faced an insane amount of medical bills when one of my siblings was very ill growing up.  I have friends who have faced devastating medical problems.  It sucks.  You can't work...and your bills go up and up...but do the work and host your own private fundraiser...reach out to people and companies privately...

And the thing that kills me with these is that the websites take a cut.  People think they are donating 100% to the cause, not realizing some of their money will be used to pay administration fees and what not.  That should be disclosed up front.  These sites made hundreds of thousands of dollars off the Boston Marathon related sites alone (in the case of Jeff Bauman, upwards of $40,000 from his site alone to date!) 

• While I'm way more forgiving in the cases of medical issues, I agree.  My family faced an insane amount of medical bills when one of my siblings was very ill growing up.  I have friends who have faced devastating medical problems.  It sucks.  You can't work...and your bills go up and up...but do the work and host your own private fundraiser...reach out to people and companies privately...

And the thing that kills me with these is that the websites take a cut.  People think they are donating 100% to the cause, not realizing some of their money will be used to pay administration fees and what not.  That should be disclosed up front.  These sites made hundreds of thousands of dollars off the Boston Marathon related sites alone (in the case of Jeff Bauman, upwards of $40,000 from his site alone to date!) 
    I don't think medical bills compare to going to college.  She will not die if she doesn't go to college.  She is also perfectly capable of working.
  • gpeeples said:

While I'm way more forgiving in the cases of medical issues, I agree.  My family faced an insane amount of medical bills when one of my siblings was very ill growing up.  I have friends who have faced devastating medical problems.  It sucks.  You can't work...and your bills go up and up...but do the work and host your own private fundraiser...reach out to people and companies privately...

I don't think medical bills compare to going to college.  She will not die if she doesn't go to college.  She is also perfectly capable of working.
    There are also plenty of options for college.  There are more expensive and less expensive options.  Do 2 years at a community college and save money...you don't typically have those options in a medical case.  
  • GB520GB520 member
    Yes the is the main problem the site takes a cut and the people are duped whereas if they just did a spaghetti dinner they would have cash in hand. I totally get the sick kid thing as my cousin had a heart transplant at 5 and almost died...it is hard. The girl w. College fund is insane HaHaha. Mommy and daddy will be hating themselves for it soon enough. I feel like people have no tact anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards