Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

GoFundMe...had to share

13»

Re: GoFundMe...had to share

• Options
    I really hope they have a backup plan. I'd feel pretty bad for this kid if she started classes and they can't make the tuition payments. Some schools will drop you right away, and others will put a financial hold on your account and prevent you from registering for the next semester.
  • Options
    NerdyLucy said:

Someone commented something along the line of, "have she looked into any scholarship opportunities", to which the family replied, "She already had to go through an application process which included an essay, an interview, and 2 orientations..." and left it at that.  

*facepalm*

Um, they do realize that their little darling will have to, you know, write essays and give presentations once she's in college, right?

Where will there be a gofundme account set up to pay for essays online?
  • Options

NerdyLucy said:

Someone commented something along the line of, "have she looked into any scholarship opportunities", to which the family replied, "She already had to go through an application process which included an essay, an interview, and 2 orientations..." and left it at that.  

*facepalm*

Um, they do realize that their little darling will have to, you know, write essays and give presentations once she's in college, right?

Where will there be a gofundme account set up to pay for essays online?

*Or
  • Options
    Well that was fun...status tonight is, "We have chosen to use alternate methods to fundraise."  And the page is gone.  Maybe someone talked them back into their senses
  • Options
    Well that was fun...status tonight is, "We have chosen to use alternate methods to fundraise."  And the page is gone.  Maybe someone talked them back into their senses

Well, this is not the update I expected. I guess I thought they'd, like, go down guns blazing or something. Figuratively speaking, of course. I didn't expect you to come here and say they had stopped this nonsense quietly.

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    NerdyLucy said:

Well, this is not the update I expected. I guess I thought they'd, like, go down guns blazing or something. Figuratively speaking, of course. I didn't expect you to come here and say they had stopped this nonsense quietly.
    I think there was more to it...I briefly saw someone call them out on deleting their comment (in regards to the initial post) and then someone else mentioned it was pretty rude to all the kids on Facebook currently scrounging to get by and make it through school.  I didn't have time to really go and look at it and when I thought to look it was all gone
  • Options
    @BMoreBride6 That makes sense.

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

• Options
    So much trashy behavior is exhibited on facebook...I'm glad it appears they came to their senses, but I don't think they actually did.  Just got pissed no one was contributing and people didn't understand just how special their situation was.  

I had a friend from HS whose mom took out crazy loans to put her through school, and when she got a divorce and had to file for bankruptcy, daughter couldn't attend her second year.  She cried to me on the phone about how her mom had promised her to pay for her private college education and it wasn't fair that her mom had lied to her.  That conversation didn't last very long, because I shut that shit down.  

Previously Alaynajuliana

• Options
    I believe that there are legitimate reasons for GoFundMe.  I church I was visiting had a member who has some serious medical problems.  While they have insurance, there are some expenses that just aren't covered.

A fund for burial expenses? I'd say ok.  Probably for a college fund if the parent was killed and young children are involved.

No to fund college expenses for a older teen/young adult who can work and especially not for a wedding!
  • Options
    **Someone commented something along the line of, "have she looked into any scholarship opportunities", to which the family replied, "She already had to go through an application process which included an essay, an interview, and 2 orientations..." and left it at that.  **

So HORRIBLE that behavior like this is even thought to be acceptable.  I'm glad that they've taken it down, but this is the type of behavior that creates entitlement and no sense of a work ethic in our society.  And the fact that a JOB offer was turned down when so many people are struggling to find a job right now just adds insult to injury.

My mother was a single parent and worked 3 jobs to put my brother and I into good high schools.  I worked my ass off in high school, applied for about 11 scholarships ON TOP OF all of my applications, essays, and other tests.  It paid off because I got a full tuition scholarship to my college and I was damn proud of it.  But my mother instilled that work ethic in me by teaching me how to earn my own money and take care of my school business from the time I was younger.  

Maybe this mother having the Special Snowflake Daughter work to apply for scholarships would be a more effective way to teach her how to be a good person rather than teaching her to put her hand out to mooch from everyone else who is working hard to get by right now.

And yes, Facebook has seriously become the beacon for bad behavior and diarrhea of the mouth....it's the devil.

UGH.  That post just made my blood pressure go up about 100 points!  Horrible!!
  • Options
    I believe that there are legitimate reasons for GoFundMe.  I church I was visiting had a member who has some serious medical problems.  While they have insurance, there are some expenses that just aren't covered.

A fund for burial expenses? I'd say ok.  Probably for a college fund if the parent was killed and young children are involved.

No to fund college expenses for a older teen/young adult who can work and especially not for a wedding!
    While I agree there are absolutely reasons to raise money, there is no legitimate reason to use this site to do so. It takes a cut of the donations.

• Options
    WeeshWeesh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    **Someone commented something along the line of, "have she looked into any scholarship opportunities", to which the family replied, "She already had to go through an application process which included an essay, an interview, and 2 orientations..." and left it at that.  **

So HORRIBLE that behavior like this is even thought to be acceptable.  I'm glad that they've taken it down, but this is the type of behavior that creates entitlement and no sense of a work ethic in our society.  And the fact that a JOB offer was turned down when so many people are struggling to find a job right now just adds insult to injury.

My mother was a single parent and worked 3 jobs to put my brother and I into good high schools.  I worked my ass off in high school, applied for about 11 scholarships ON TOP OF all of my applications, essays, and other tests.  It paid off because I got a full tuition scholarship to my college and I was damn proud of it.  But my mother instilled that work ethic in me by teaching me how to earn my own money and take care of my school business from the time I was younger.  

Maybe this mother having the Special Snowflake Daughter work to apply for scholarships would be a more effective way to teach her how to be a good person rather than teaching her to put her hand out to mooch from everyone else who is working hard to get by right now.

And yes, Facebook has seriously become the beacon for bad behavior and diarrhea of the mouth....it's the devil.

UGH.  That post just made my blood pressure go up about 100 points!  Horrible!!
    That's it!  The sense of entitlement is just sad. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    While I agree there are absolutely reasons to raise money, there is no legitimate reason to use this site to do so. It takes a cut of the donations.

Thanks for the clarification,  I did not know this.
  • Options

It would have taken every ounce of willpower i had to not respond with "i work really hard for every dollar that I make, so if you can give me a good reason why (daughter) should receive some of my hard earned money when she is unwilling to have a paying job or apply for scholarships, i'll consider donating to your cause." 

I was fortunate that my parents paid for my undergraduate studies (i paid for grad school), but i WILLINGLY got a part time job during the school year (once i was permitted to have my car on campus - which was contingent upon my GPA) and worked as a waitress 60+ hours a week every summer for my spending money.  If applying for scholarships and doing some filing for a few hours a week is too muh work for Special Snowflake, how is she going to graduate college?  Or get a real life job?  You know you have to apply and even interview for those!  it's outrageous!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards