Options

An open letter to the Community from our Co-founder, Carley Roney

Re: An open letter to the Community from our Co-founder, Carley Roney

• Options
    NYCBruinNYCBruin member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    @drexelkathy

Right, I'm still waiting for a definition of "bullying" from @KnotPorscha or @KnotJackie

I feel like an example or two of bullying that violates the TOS would be helpful.  We can all speculate all we want, but since we don't have the power to ban, our opinions don't matter.

Unless of course we are going off the recent precedent, where a bunch of us could band together and all send complaints about one user we don't like.  What's the magic number, 40?  So all we need to do is find 40 people or make 40 AEs and then we can just get someone booted.

ETA and please update your TOS to explain this definition.  I like to know the rules of a community if I'm going to be a part of it.  

At the very least, correct the spelling of the word "tortious" in the longer version article 5.  Tortious refers to acts that are torts.  Tortuous means "marked by repeated bends, twists or turns" or "marked by devious or indirect tactics."  So while your TOS are indeed tortuous, I think when you used that word in them you meant "tortious."
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Options
    And that's the concern I had that never got adequately addressed, despite many direct questions on that point.
  • Options

TXKristan said:
    NYCBruin said:
    KGs, can you please define bullying?

It would be especially helpful if you gave us examples.  Perhaps examples that led to Stage and Linger being banned.  

I would like to know how I'm allowed to post if I'm going to stick around here.

Linger called me a bigot because of my personal beliefs on same sex marriage.
    I've gone back and found the conversation.  This was back on April 11th.  And on the very thread that is in question, KnotJackie stated:

Hi ladies,

This is a very hot topic that I know everyone has a strong, personal opinion about.

I don't mean to state the obvious here, but we all need to know and understand that we are not going to agree with one another, and it is fine for others to share their opinions.

No one's thoughts are right, and no one's thoughts are wrong. Every one is entitled to their own feelings on this topic.

Please do not start attacking one another over opinions. Do not start calling each other out, begin to bully, or target anyone based on their beliefs.

Since the new TOS is not up yet, please consider this a warning and be wary of your responses.

Again, I respect everyone's opinions, I just do not support attacking.

Thanks,
    Jackie

So...even *if* the debate back in April was part of the reason that members of this forum were banned from the site...Knot staff member stated that no one was right and no one was wrong and that there were no active TOS at the time so therefore NO members were in violation of any TOS.

Therefore, I'm not really seeing how re-hashing a heated political debate from April has ANYTHING to do with the current topic at hand.

As I said - it was not my intention to rehash the topic.  I was merely using Kristan's example of being called a bigot a case of truth hurts, not bullying.

• Options
    @banana468 I would love your post a million trillion times if I could

• Options

@banana468 I would love your post a million trillion times if I could
    Me too!
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Options
    Thanks @Maggie0829 and @NYCBruin. I honestly feel bad for those trying to run a business built upon doing things appropriately when now we (a society) act like the rules are dumb.

• Options
    banana468 said:
    I've been on TK for just over 7 years now. I honestly don't think the vibe of the boards has changed a lot in terms of its brutal honesty and snark. IMO, what has changed is the personalities of the snark recipients. We have moved to an era of "your decisions are right because it's your wedding" and "no one loses. Everyone wins." Now kids play a game of baseball and no one keeps score because it hurts to lose. Then, they get to the real world and when strangers aren't validating them left and right, the kids get hurt and complain up the food chain until they receive the validation they desired. Mom taught them this in school when she was able to get grades changed and the learned behavior continues. So whereas TK of 7 years ago had people getting their bad ideas ripped apart, the brides also listened. Now, we live in a society where people who get told no complain until the no is a yes. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, right?
    Love X 1,000,000
  • Options

I have been around for going on 4 years.  Banana and Kmmssg are so on target.  It was pretty brutal around here when I first joined and the last few months have been nothing compared to that.

I am inclined to agree that as much as I disagree with the bannings, I more have a problem with how it was done.  It was a shitty way to treat longtime members who gave some of the best advice. 

• Options
    banana468 said:
    I've been on TK for just over 7 years now. I honestly don't think the vibe of the boards has changed a lot in terms of its brutal honesty and snark. IMO, what has changed is the personalities of the snark recipients. We have moved to an era of "your decisions are right because it's your wedding" and "no one loses. Everyone wins." Now kids play a game of baseball and no one keeps score because it hurts to lose. Then, they get to the real world and when strangers aren't validating them left and right, the kids get hurt and complain up the food chain until they receive the validation they desired. Mom taught them this in school when she was able to get grades changed and the learned behavior continues. So whereas TK of 7 years ago had people getting their bad ideas ripped apart, the brides also listened. Now, we live in a society where people who get told no complain until the no is a yes. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, right?

banana468 said:
    Love X 1,000,000
    Love both of these quotes so hard.

I've only been on TK for a little over 3 years and the amount of entitlement by brides is growing. This place is rainbows compared to how it was when the old regs were posting. It's bullshit how the KGs decree things and then don't bother to answer the valid questions that posters have about them. Oh, and Carly...it's not very professional to call adult women working for you "girls." Maybe your employees wouldn't have gotten their speshul feelings hurt if they acted like the grown, adult women that they are and were treated as such.

Ditto everyone about the miss use of the word bullying.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    smalfrie19smalfrie19 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    Hey everybody!

Remember when we were all angry about what The Knot had done to two prominent members of the forums and we were mostly rallying around that?

Let's get back to that. I don't agree with @TXKristan 's views on gay marriage. We're pretty much polar opposites. But she's always been respectful to me when we've discussed it.

If you haven't actually had a one-on-one discussion WITH her about ANYTHING then maybe you aren't qualified to say shit.
    How true this is.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Wow, what a crock of shit. 
  • Options
    @Liatris2010 - you've been around long enough to know, reason has no place here.

• Options
    Hey everybody!

Remember when we were all angry about what The Knot had done to two prominent members of the forums and we were mostly rallying around that?

Let's get back to that. I don't agree with @TXKristan 's views on gay marriage. We're pretty much polar opposites. But she's always been respectful to me when we've discussed it.

If you haven't actually had a one-on-one discussion WITH her about ANYTHING then maybe you aren't qualified to say shit.
    Was this geared toward me? If so, I may not have exchanged PMs with her on the subject, but I have participated in threads that included her about it. I haven't assumed anything about her position. I'm merely taking her actual words at face value and choosing to accept that she means them. Because even though I disagree with her, I do believe she can communicate like an adult. Also, it's really not up to you to decide who is qualified to have opinions about other posters, or what those opinions are allowed to be.

And as for this thread being about rallying around Stage and Linger, I agree that their banning was shitty, and it was made worse by the even shittier way that was handled. But does anyone honestly think that these threads (because there are many, many out there) are actually going to make the KGs turn around and go, "oh sorry, yeah that was messed up of us"? Because I think posting this letter from the founder of the company demonstrates pretty well that they don't actually care about what the most vocal posters want as long as the newbs are happy with the advice they get here.
  • Options
    Hey everybody!

Was this geared toward me? If so, I may not have exchanged PMs with her on the subject, but I have participated in threads that included her about it. I haven't assumed anything about her position. I'm merely taking her actual words at face value and choosing to accept that she means them. Because even though I disagree with her, I do believe she can communicate like an adult. Also, it's really not up to you to decide who is qualified to have opinions about other posters, or what those opinions are allowed to be.

And as for this thread being about rallying around Stage and Linger, I agree that their banning was shitty, and it was made worse by the even shittier way that was handled. But does anyone honestly think that these threads (because there are many, many out there) are actually going to make the KGs turn around and go, "oh sorry, yeah that was messed up of us"? Because I think posting this letter from the founder of the company demonstrates pretty well that they don't actually care about what the most vocal posters want as long as the newbs are happy with the advice they get here.
    Face value - you're the one who said you're a lurker, not someone who actively engages in threads with the person you're putting down.

My point is: talking shit about TXKristan is counterproductive, especially when she has drastically reduced her participation on this site. She used to post on a lot of boards here but seems to now stick to the Catholic Weddings board. Talk about the people who did actually complain to the KGs - especially those who did so without ever trying to talk to the banned users themselves. Those people are the ones people should be angry with. 

Do I have the right to tell you what you're qualified to post about? Probably not. But I am going to stand up for my friend when some random poster jumps on the bandwagon to bash her.
  • Options
    @Elizabethriley - just went back and read this thread again and realized you were not the one who claimed to be a lurker. My apologies. Your own post history does make it hard to believe you've had a lot of interaction with @txkristan though.
  • Options
    I will also be telling all my engaged friends to stay away from this site.
  • Options
    @Elizabethriley - just went back and read this thread again and realized you were not the one who claimed to be a lurker. My apologies. Your own post history does make it hard to believe you've had a lot of interaction with @txkristan though.
    I don't post a lot, and I don't remember if I ever responded directly to Kristan in a thread or just others in threads where she also participated on this topic. I lost a lot of my posts in the changeover (thank, TK tech team, you're awesome!), so unfortunately my post history is spotty. I can see why it looks like I'm just some random noob who's coming out of nowhere, but I've been lurking and posting here and there for a couple years.

And you're welcome to defend anyone you want, I have no problem with that. I'm just giving my own opinion on a topic that was brought up in this thread. We both know this isn't the first thread that's gotten derailed or had multiple conversations going at once.
  • Options
    I don't post a lot, and I don't remember if I ever responded directly to Kristan in a thread or just others in threads where she also participated on this topic. I lost a lot of my posts in the changeover (thank, TK tech team, you're awesome!), so unfortunately my post history is spotty. I can see why it looks like I'm just some random noob who's coming out of nowhere, but I've been lurking and posting here and there for a couple years.

And you're welcome to defend anyone you want, I have no problem with that. I'm just giving my own opinion on a topic that was brought up in this thread. We both know this isn't the first thread that's gotten derailed or had multiple conversations going at once.
    Damn, I don't know how I missed this (and like four or five responses above it)

I knew once I said my bit for Kristan that I was going to get flamed, and proboards are going to be hell for me come Friday for FFF. Threads absolutely get derailed but while we're all sitting here talking shit about Kristan (who barely posts any more, who deleted her account today) for an opinion she shared four months ago, the KGs are sitting back grateful the spotlight is no longer on them. We can all sit here and tear each other to shreds for some nonsense or we can remember who we're really pissed at.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Damn, I don't know how I missed this (and like four or five responses above it)

I knew once I said my bit for Kristan that I was going to get flamed, and proboards are going to be hell for me come Friday for FFF. Threads absolutely get derailed but while we're all sitting here talking shit about Kristan (who barely posts any more, who deleted her account today) for an opinion she shared four months ago, the KGs are sitting back grateful the spotlight is no longer on them. We can all sit here and tear each other to shreds for some nonsense or we can remember who we're really pissed at.
    But that's just the thing, I'm not pissed at anyone, you're just projecting your agenda to keep the gods' attention on this matter to everyone else who's upset by what happened. I don't think continually harping at this point is going to do anything, because the KGs have made it very clear through stock responses and this letter from Carley that being pissed isn't going to accomplish anything. So why not respond to someone who may actually be gotten through to? At this point, I don't really care about TK or the gods. I've gotten all the wedding advice I could ever need already, and now with the proboards I can still have the community I liked and stuck around for without have to worry about being too "mean" or getting banned, which is one of the reasons I didn't post here often in the first place. 

So by all means, keep creating or dragging out threads demanding answers from people who don't want to respond, but don't think that everyone shares that objective.

ETA (just noticed this line): I'm sorry that you think that standing up for equal rights is "some nonsense," but it actually is a big deal to me. So yeah, that trumps petty drama with some mysterious forum managers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards