Chit Chat

Won't get my braces off before wedding...super bummed..

My orthodontist has been telling me he thought we could take them off by the wedding so I've been really excited, I didn't want to have braces in my wedding photos..yuck.  But I went back this week for what should have been the last adjustment and I was told it would be at least another 3 months. Wedding is in 2.  So that sucks.  Also though, I was seen by the new orthodontist that is now working in the office as well, so feel like he wasn't really clued into the fact that I'd already been told there was a good chance of getting them off in time.  I feel like my regular ortho might have told me otherwise.  I don't really get it because I think my teeth look perfect as of now and given the choice I'd have them taken off immediately. I don't really see what other movement still needs to happen. If there were still gaps and things I'd be fine with it, no sense spending all that money just to have them not fixed completely. It already sucks in general having braces as an adult.   

I went ahead and scheduled an appointment for the week before my wedding, just in case.  Hopefully I can get the regular ortho to look at them and he will be willing to take them off. 

Still I'm really sad that they may not be off in time. I kind of wish we had chosen a later date, but we really wanted a fall wedding and didn't want to wait 2 years to be married.  :( Also FI says he really misses this gap I had, he always thought it was cute and endearing, even though I hated it. sigh...just can't win.

Re: Won't get my braces off before wedding...super bummed..

• Bummer. Blech. Hope your regular ortho says you can get them off ... otherwise, what about bands in the wedding colors? Or silver? Or maybe hopefully clear?
  • When I had braces they tried scheduling me with the new orthodontist. After the first time with him whenever the scheduled me, I made sure it was with the regular one. A couple times they scheduled me with the new one (after I had made sure it would be with the regular one) I told them to reschedule me and walked out. That's how much I hated the new one.
  • Well, I have clear braces in on the top, and they actually don't show up too much in pictures as long as it isn't real close shot.  But when I'm really smiling widely, as I imagine I will be on my wedding day, the bottom ones show.  And that shit is straight up metal mouth, they won't do the clear porcelain ones on bottom teeth apparently.  

• It's so frustrating right! and this office doesn't even tell you who you will be seeing, they are both there and you just get whoever is first available. Though maybe I could demand to have him see me like you. 

Plus I think that because my regular one is a pretty old guy who tends to be super chatty and disappear for 30 mins at a time talking to some patient in the hall about god-knows-what-not-dental-related-thing, the new guy ends up seeing most of the patients anyway.  He is nice, and I don't dislike him, but he didn't seem to care at all about the fact that the goal was to have them off prior to wedding.  
  • How about asking your photographer to photoshop your braces out of your pictures?

• I've thought about that but I don't think I'd want to do it.  To me it would just make the photos seem disingenuous.  I wouldn't have my photographer photoshop every other little detail that I didn't think was perfect.  It's one thing to have them correct red eye or problematic lighting and such, but having them photoshop out my braces would seem a bit too much like having them use photoshop to make me look thinner or something.  Though I guess people do have photos retouched to remove blemishes and things.  I dunno, not sure how I feel about it really.
  • I'm sorry for what you're going through!  I had full-out silver metal braces, then rubberbands, then jaw surgery right in the middle of college.  My orthodontist told me I would have the braces off by the time I was leaving the country to study abroad for six months.  Then, they tried to push my appointment to get the braces off back "one more month."  I explained the situation to them, and they agreed to take them off before I left, as originally promised.  

My teeth looked perfect and I have no regrets.  Unless there's a big unforeseen problem at the end of braces, I think the removal date mostly comes down to scheduling.  And they'll give you retainers for some last minute tweaking.  I would ask and maybe push a little to see if they can stick with the original time frame.  If they can't, I'm sure you'll still look beautiful on your wedding day, braces or not!!  Good luck :) 
  • Worst case scenario if they won't budge on the date - although it could cost a little chunk of change and would be a hassle, you might see if your ortho would be willing to take your braces off for your wedding weekend and them put them back on right after the wedding. An acquaintance of mine did this when there was no way the braces could be off on time. 
  • That's crappy :(  I'd be bummed too.  I got my braces off a week AFTER my senior prom, so I feel your pain (though your situation is definitely worse!)  I hope you're able to talk to your regular ortho and work it out!!
  • Good luck! Hopefully your last appointment will work out for you. I've felt your pain with having braces and attending big events.
  • If you scheduled your next appointment only a week before your wedding, I don't think they would take them off then, I know my ortho said to make an appointment for the final removal when he said they could come off.  If you feel that your teeth are perfect, then call and tell them you want them taken off.  You're an adult, so they have to do what you request of them.  They will give you a retainer and that will keep your teeth to the perfect that you see them, as long as you wear it.  As long as you are having no bite issues, I don't know why they would insist so much that you keep them on further.
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I, too, have heard of people having them removed for the wedding and then put back on. I'm sure it would be expensive and a pain in the butt but probably an option.
  • Thanks for the advice ladies.  I'm glad I went ahead and scheduled an appointment for before the wedding anyway, I'll probably just insist that they come off, or talk about having them put back on later

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards