Just Engaged and Proposals

eloping

I recently got engaged and we plan on eloping in Hawaii, just the two of us. Only 3 search results come up for eloping on "the knot?" Just wanted to get ideas from anyone else who has eloped also and read others experiences? I cant imagine that were the only couple who wants to elope and is on this site!!! 

Re: eloping

• The reason why there's not a lot about eloping on this website is because TK is a wedding PLANNING website and eloping doesn't involve a lot of planning and is usually spur of the moment.
  • we are PLANNING , which means it is NOT going to be SPUR OF THE MOMENT. AFTER we come back, we WILL have a reception.. thank you for welcoming me to the site and making me feel like less of a bride because im eloping .. 
  • I consider an elopment to be one or both of the following: getting married spur of the moment and/or getting married without the involvement or knowledge of others. Eloping has seemed to take in a somewhat different meaning today because of having easier access to places further from home. I consider my wedding to be somewhat of an elopment- we planned the wedding, since it was in Australia, but didn't tell many people about it. Those who did know were told to keep quiet. We both had drama from our first marriages and didn't want a deja vu moment. I recommend going over to the Destination Wedding board. I believe that is the best fit for what you are looking for- girls getting married away from home, some with guests, some without, and some planning receptions after they return from their destination.

• shanmck1 said:

we are PLANNING , which means it is NOT going to be SPUR OF THE MOMENT. AFTER we come back, we WILL have a reception.. thank you for welcoming me to the site and making me feel like less of a bride because im eloping .. 

Well of course you're PLANNING an elopement. I just mean that it's not quite like those who invite people. No favors, WP, DOC, wedding planner. Most of what you're probably planning is actually the reception. And I did say MOST are spur of the moment, not all. Nobody's saying you're any less of a bride. I did a spur of the moment JOP ceremony with just H's brother and SIL. I didn't even know we would do that until exactly an hour before (he surprised even me with that one, long story). I was still a bride, H's SIL even made me a quick bouquet.
  • So it's not an elopement... its a small destination wedding with a reception state-side?

• whatever, "ladies" I was just asking for help, I wanted constructive comments from possibly others who may have been thinking the same thing. im not sensitive in the least bit, but coming from the first poster who said
    Teddy917 said:
    The reason why there's not a lot about eloping on this website is because TK is a wedding PLANNING website and eloping doesn't involve a lot of planning and is usually spur of the moment.
    kinda caught me off guard. I don't think they were being "sweet as pie" as the other poster put it. It definitely wasn't positive. im excited to get married in Hawaii , just me and the fi, call it eloping or call it a wedding for 2 . its what suits me .  if y'all dont agree with me then dont, have your weddings your way. but dont knock my wedding or put me down, or minimize my idea of a wedding or elopement. I will post again . I will ask the same question and I will look for positive responses from others who want to be HELPFUL AND NOT HURTFUL. if you would LIKE TO OFFER some suggestions for MARRIAGES FOR 2 IN HAWAII, ie, hotels, flowers, ceremony, pictures,  I WOULD LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK.
  • shanmck1 said:

whatever, "ladies" I was just asking for help, I wanted constructive comments from possibly others who may have been thinking the same thing. im not sensitive in the least bit, but coming from the first poster who said

Teddy917 said:

The reason why there's not a lot about eloping on this website is because TK is a wedding PLANNING website and eloping doesn't involve a lot of planning and is usually spur of the moment.

kinda caught me off guard. I don't think they were being "sweet as pie" as the other poster put it. It definitely wasn't positive. im excited to get married in Hawaii , just me and the fi, call it eloping or call it a wedding for 2 . its what suits me .  if y'all dont agree with me then dont, have your weddings your way. but dont knock my wedding or put me down, or minimize my idea of a wedding or elopement. I will post again . I will ask the same question and I will look for positive responses from others who want to be HELPFUL AND NOT HURTFUL. if you would LIKE TO OFFER some suggestions for MARRIAGES FOR 2 IN HAWAII, ie, hotels, flowers, ceremony, pictures,  I WOULD LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK.

We aren't disagreeing with your decision. If it's the right one for you, go for it. You had asked why there isn't much help for those planning to elope on this website and it was explained to you. Could I probably have phrased it better, yeah. But if you're going to get hurt over a simple poor choice of words over the Internet, you might want to consider how you're going to take the comments that you'll get from people you actually know, who are upset that you eloped.
  • Wow. No one is knocking your wedding or putting it down. You need to get a grip, sister. 
  • I believe I made a nice recommendation above. I have been posting on here for awhile while planning my wedding for two and it's true- there isn't much on here, but the Destination Weddings board will be your closest match.

• Wow. No one is knocking your wedding or putting it down. You need to get a grip, sister. 

This 100x. I have no idea how this escalated so quickly.

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Hi I'm not getting married (yet), however one of my old co-workers left some books in the break room that were up for grabs. One of those books that I have and find helpful for brides in your position who are looking to elope and not deal with the stress of a large wedding is named "Let's Elope" by Scott Shaw and Lynn Beahan. Check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Elope-Definitive-Destination-Weddings/dp/0553380826/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386459074&sr=8-1&keywords=Let%27s+Elope

There's the link on Amazon. I hope it helps you! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards