Chit Chat
Options

Pet Peeves (Work Edition)

2»

Re: Pet Peeves (Work Edition)

• Options
    My boss drives me nuts always. He's never here yet makes over 3k a month while I don't even touch 2k. He wasn't here Last Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday and this week Monday and today... really.. I wish I could make money by not coming in to work.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

Oh god...where to start on this?

I hate when my boss uses "we" or "let's" as in, "Let's make sure we get this done". I always say, "Let's? As in, you're going to help me?".

My boss' son (who is technically a boss but really does nothing) whines and moans about everything. He whines that he doesn't have any money when he signs my measly paychecks. He goes on vacation and whines that it was only two days. I had to beg to get vacation time and most people here don't get any.

I, too, have an office nail-clipper and it annoys the piss out of me.

I know I've complained about her before, but the girl who shares my cube wall eats like an animal and speaks while she's eating. I've told her like 5 times to wait until she's done eating to speak. She gets her food everywhere (including her face and our business). She hums and randomly signs really big. Gah I can't stand her.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    FiancB said:
    An office job is pretty much the only type I haven't been in. Thank God, it sounds awful. 

I work in a restaurant currently so I don't have to deal with sharing cubicles with people or anything like that. But there are my complaints. 

I hate it when people don't do their cut work properly. I mostly host and there's so many times I get to work and the bathrooms are nasty (hosts are supposed to clean them before going home) or I go to seat someone and there's crumbs all over the table (servers are supposed to thoroughly clean their tables before leaving). 

There's a girl that just started and has been told many times not to take plates and glasses off the table. For one, servers are supposed to do that, and while it's helpful to do when there's nothing else for the hosts to do, she has ZERO common sense about it. She goes off to do that when there's other things she should be doing. She has repeatedly taken dirty dishes off of one table, then plunked them down on a table where people were STILL EATING so as to take their plates. 

I frequently get told to smile more, asked why I don't smile more, etc. I don't think I walk around with a scowl on my face. I get that I'm in customer service and should be super bubbly around customers. But right now I'm putting glasses and dishes away and if I were grinning ear to ear I'd look like I'm having a psychotic break. There's one server in particular that does this like every time he sees me. YOU AREN'T SMILING EITHER YOU JACKASS.

Also the manager that does the schedule often doesn't put it up until 2 days beforehand so I never know what my week is going to look like work wise, and frequently messes it up by scheduling people while they're in class or when they've already cleared time off. 
    Reading this cheered me up because it reminds me that I am no longer in the restaurant industry, thank goodness!
  • Options
    zobird said:
    I hate office nail clipping too. So bad. And when employers don't honor or respect two week's notice and tell you to just leave. My company does it every single time. It's really sad and pretty offensive. And when vendors don't treat you like a customer.
    I'm really curious why this bothers you.  There are a ton of reasons why companies do this, I feel like it's pretty standard.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Options
    NYCBruin said:
    zobird said:
    I hate office nail clipping too. So bad. And when employers don't honor or respect two week's notice and tell you to just leave. My company does it every single time. It's really sad and pretty offensive. And when vendors don't treat you like a customer.
    I'm really curious why this bothers you.  There are a ton of reasons why companies do this, I feel like it's pretty standard.

I'm thinking it's because the majority of new employers expect you to have a two week notice period after your offer, so they aren't able/prepared to start you immediately (getting your office/computer set up and ordered, arranging for an orientation session or training courses...)

So that means someone has to go two weeks without pay when the old employer just says buh-bye now.

• Options
    zobird said:
    This is a bit of standard practice in my company. Many times when people resign, our company will ask them to leave immediately or give them a day or two to get their items, turn in their badges and get out. I think this mainly comes from the fact that our company does not want to give that employee a chance to save, email, or take anything that could be used to help a competitor on future contracts. In the government contracting world there is a lot of shuffle from one contracting company to another so these companies try to keep tight hold of any trade secrets.

Do I think it is ridiculous?  Yes.  Because there is nothing stopping that employee who left from then talking to their current employer about his old companies business practices or contracts they are bidding.

• Options
    zobird said:
    This is a bit of standard practice in my company. Many times when people resign, our company will ask them to leave immediately or give them a day or two to get their items, turn in their badges and get out. I think this mainly comes from the fact that our company does not want to give that employee a chance to save, email, or take anything that could be used to help a competitor on future contracts. In the government contracting world there is a lot of shuffle from one contracting company to another so these companies try to keep tight hold of any trade secrets.

Do I think it is ridiculous?  Yes.  Because there is nothing stopping that employee who left from then talking to their current employer about his old companies business practices or contracts they are bidding.
    Yeah, that's what I meant.  I think most employers do this.  And while they can't stop you from taking what's "in your head" to your new employer, they can prevent you from physically taking something with you.  My firm actually has software set in place that detect unusual levels of printing/viewing/saving of certain types of documents for this reason.  

And while it's a bummer that this often means you're left with a two week "gap" between positions, I think that's just one of the "cons" you have to factor in when taking a new position.  Or try to negotiate having the option of starting earlier with your new company.
  • Options
    Oh and that also doesn't touch on the fact that when someone leaves, it costs the employer a lot of money.  They have to find and train a new person.  Those costs can be tremendously large depending on the position.  Those two weeks pay help cover those costs.

Finally, an employee who is leaving is infinitely less valuable to an employer.  They aren't going to give you new projects to work on, only to have to replace you soon after.  And at the point where you've already accepted another position, your employer is going to assume you've already "checked out" and probably aren't working as hard as you were before (not necessarily true in every case, but definitely true for some people and a not unreasonable assumption for an employer to make).

Sorry for the rant, I did a project on this in law school so it's something I am overly invested in.

Oh and to all those that work with office nail clippers: I'm so sorry, that is SOOOO gross.  EWW.
  • Options
    I work in retail and we had a cashier come in with pink eye last year. I came in, saw this and told my boss who told her to go home then I wiped down her register. She was later fired and it made me SO happy.
  • Options
    I work in retail and we had a cashier come in with pink eye last year. I came in, saw this and told my boss who told her to go home then I wiped down her register. She was later fired and it made me SO happy.
    Thats shit is contagious!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Yeah I was super disgusted.  I couldn't believe someone would even come into work with that isht, never mind stand there, taking money, giving change and bagging merchandise... We don't get time off so I understand a little allergies or a sniffle but WHY would you come in with pink eye?
  • Options
    I would like to put it on record that I only go in when I'm sick because I have no PTO. And I endeavor to not be near other people when I do.
    Ugh.  Most of us work when we're not too sick cos it's too much work to get a sub in.  Unless you've got the flu, it's easier to just suffer at work.  Between us and 1000 students the whole school is a biohazard.  It sucks, but to plan, photocopy and prep for 2-3 hours just to potentially get a shitty sub and have to do it all over again the next day doesn't make sense
    Definitely agree with this. But also our attendance has become a part of our state-mandated teacher evaluations (i.e. you use more than two sick days you get points docked). There were two days last year I probably should have stayed home, but I wasn't going to risk losing points on my evaluation when I could make it through the day...
  • Options

Passive Agressiveness.

I've posted before about one coworker in my "Head, Meet Desk" posts. She dumps work on me that she doesn't want to do, takes AGES to get back to me on projects, and has sent emails that come across as more than snarky, essentially making me look bad to the Boss (who is buddies with CW). This is exacerbated by the fact that while it is a professional setting, I am technically "junior" to everyone except support staff, including to the two new hires, as they have more OTJ experience than I do.

Latest and greatest-

I was reviewing a database of documents with two search terms that she specifically asked me to run. First ten docs in first database were about 1400 pgs long. I'm not kidding. I get those 10 done, work on other, give her a status update. She then claims she never asked me to run those search terms. A week's worth of work is now out the window. I've taken to following up every verbal assignment from her with an email so I have physical proof in case she pulls a stunt like this again. 

Yesterday, got to meet with her about a "process" we have for new cases. The student clerk generally writes up the reports, I review and correct reports, and input into the system. I will at times write up the reports myself, and have previously done so as a student clerk and student intern. She stated at the start that she had written maybe 1 of these reports in her entire time in the office (I've done close to 100, and she's been here longer than I have), and that she doesn't know how it works. I walk her thru the whole thing, all the info that goes into the report, etc. Receive snarky comments about a "lack of supervision" on these reports, how inefficient it is to write the report in a word document and then put it into the case system (if the system ever crashes, the word doc copy is available as a back up!) Some of her ideas to "improve" this system and the way we do reports are crazy- others are borderline unethical. Find out later in slip of tongue from support staff member, that during an admin meeting where the two new attnys are present, that she stated "Chipmunk will no longer be handling these reports." Nothing has been said to me about this, and I have no idea if this was Boss's decision or if CW is doing this of her own initiative. Planning on playing this one innocent, and see if she has the cajones to say something to me.

Two professional coworkers and one support staff have left due to pressure and Passive Aggressiveness from CW and Boss. Others are looking. I might have to as well- I love what I do, but this is getting ridiculous.

• Options
    I forgot a big one: Body odor. 

I understand if you work in Maintenance and you're sweating balls in the hot, 90+ degree garage with no breeze, you're probably not going to smell like daisies at the end of your shift. But there is NO REASON to walk around the office smelling like rotten eggs. Deodorant is your friend. Showering is fun. 
  • Options
    Hands down my biggest pet peeve is when people schedule meetings without first checking peoples' calendars. Or when people schedule meetings and don't add a room so then they just take one last minute without checking availability. I spend 50-75% of every day in meetings. You can't just assume I'll be available. My boss is notorious for doing these two things and its among the reasons why I'm trying to change departments. Our system makes it so easy to see the schedules/room availability. There's no excuse!

Runners up:

People who don't make a new pot of coffee after taking the last cup. It is just rude to deny others caffeine after you've had yours.

People who don't have signature blocks. Seriously? This is a work environment- put your freakin phone number in there. 

Talkers. Look man, I'm busy. If you just sent me an email about something let me respond to the email. I don't need you to come over here and tell me what is in the email while I'm trying to work!
  • Options

NYCBruin said:

zobird said:

I hate office nail clipping too. So bad.

And when employers don't honor or respect two week's notice and tell you to just leave. My company does it every single time. It's really sad and pretty offensive.

And when vendors don't treat you like a customer.

It's standard practice at my company too. It really bothers me. They don't do it for any justified reason, IMHO - it's not to prevent sabotage or to save money, because in the end, those person's tasks get dropped and lost and it comes back to haunt us later when a customer didn't receive something or we run out of gaskets. My company is family-owned and -run and they immediately tell people to leave because they can't imagine why anyone would want to leave this company - they assume the person is leaving because they HATE the family that runs it. They see it as a personal attack.

• Options
    The person in the cube next to me eats dry cereal every morning.  This would not bother me except that he pours it into a paper cup and then every time he dumps some out in his hand he has to shake it.  Every 30 seconds is "shake, shake, shake."  It sounds like he is playing the freaking maracas.

The person who sits behind me is an ice cruncher. She is trying to lose weight so she gets cups of ice and chews it with her mouth open all day, to try to prevent snacking.

I applaud her efforts and support her in losing weight - but close your mouth!!! Also, I am pretty sure that is terrible for your teeth.

image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

• Options
    Oh, everyone I work with when I'm on staff room clean up week.  Put your freaking dishes in the dishwasher people!!  It's empty!!  I even called my Principal out on it one time (not my week) for putting his dirty dishes in the sink.  I got a dirty look before he put it in the dishwasher.  My clean up week makes me ragey cos I'm shocked at how disgusting grown professional adult are

• Options
    I do expense reports and submit them to a higher up who approves it. We have two months to get them approved by the transaction date. I always struggle with the higher ups to approve them on time. She always waits to last minute to review them when our credit card company is threatening to deactivate the card.  I am more stressed with that than doing the report in the first place.
  • Options
    So my boss, the owner of the company, has been sick all week. He came in every day and was hacking and sneezing all over us. There's no reason for him to be here! He spends 99% of his day on personal phone calls anyway. Go the fuck home! 
    And guess what - now I feel his cold coming on. I woke up stuffy and achy this morning. And I'm having 50 people over my house Saturday for my FI's 40th birthday. Thanks asshat! 
  • Options

One of my jobs is to give people passes to the hospital rooms they are visiting

The pet peeves of a hospital Security Officer

1. I don't speak spanish, creole, or any other language. It's cool that you don't speak good english, but if you're going to try and freaking speak to me PLEASE try harder to help me understand who it is that you want to visit. If I say SPELL the last name, don't repeat it because I still don't know what you're trying to tell me! Ugh.

2.It is the hospital rule that all visitors over 17 need their ID to enter the hospital, it is a safety rule, and I didn't make it up. Don't argue with me when I tell you that you cannot enter the hospital because you don't have your ID. What kind of person doesn't take thier ID with them? Jeez, what if something happens to you??

3.People like to approach my desk and stare at me. Yes, hello, how are you, what the eff do you want already?? Can I help you? Hello? Speak! :( And then they say "I'm going to room whatever" Ok..there is a big sign in front of your face that says "Please have your ID ready." Oh but now you're going to take 15 minutes to get it out while I have a line growing behind you. Or when they say my name is already in the system. OK..do I know you? How am I supposed to know your name? Are you going to tell me??

So you're like the DMV of the medical world?

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards