Chit Chat
Options

Pet Peeves (Work Edition)

I like my job (most of the time), but every office has its annoyances. One of mine is my coworker, who randomly whistles throughout the day. I've never loved whistling, but I especially hate it during work. I cannot focus. Have respect for the shared work space! 

I also find it annoying when I ask someone for simple information and they send me their department's meeting summary, which is several pages long. I do not have the patience to read through notes like, "Ingrid was asked to follow up on the Smith reports so that we can blah blah blah." I don't give a shit about Ingrid, I just need to know what you want me to put on this notice, okay? 

Discuss. 

Re: Pet Peeves (Work Edition)

• Options

Clipping fingernails at one's desk

Visits from spouses/children during working hours (it's one thing if they stop in 5 minutes before quitting time...but not at 10:30AM when others are trying to work)

Conveniently having a "meeting" scheduled offsite around the noon hour, and clearly just using the time to take a long lunch (we only get 30 minutes)

• Options

When I am asked to fill in for a bit for another department (that consists of one person) so she can "take care of a few things" when she is really going outside to smoke with another co-worker and then sneaking back into her office to chit chat. Meanwhile, I'm not getting the things I need done. Unfortunately the co-worker she is with is my boss... so I can't say anything.

Also, I agree with the lunch thing. Totally abusing the time.

• Options
    - having a conference call on speaker phone within earshot of others (whether in a cube or not shutting a conference room door)
    - heating up fish and burning popcorn in the microwave
    - using office phone as their main line to talk to their kids, mom, husband, girlfriend, etc. - that phone is paid for by the company, go use your cell phone!
    - people scheduling meetings when someone's calendar is booked (we use outlook so there's no excuse)
    - asking stupid questions in important meetings (e.g. at a department mtg w/ sr. VP, all directors, etc. one of our managers asked "are we going to get artwork in the hallway any time soon?" Seriously? Think about how much people get paid per hour, add it up and see how much time it took to ask that stupid question... Yea, not worth anyone's time.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2013

I get annoyed when people schedule meetings over lunch. I completely understand if that is the only time it works for everyone. But if the group is free at 10 or 2, why not do it then and let me eat in peace.

And ditto to Southern about taking conference calls on speaker.

Edit: spelling

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Nail Clipping...The sound drives me insane.  I find it hard to believe that some people don't have 3 mins in their day to do this at home.

Smelly lunch...Every now and then someone brings in something that stinks up the entire place.

Speaker Phone...I don't care if it's the phone on your desk or your cell phone I don't need to hear your conversation with a client/wife/bookie etc.

Leaving Common Areas a Mess...People will spill droplets of lunch on the counter or in the microwave.  I leave paper towels and Lysol wipes out.  Use them.  And when either of those are empty feel free to bend down and take out another roll or container from underneath the sink. 

Taking advantage of Time...coming in late, taking longer lunches, and sneaking out early.  Most of my office is in sales so it's hard to tell with them.  But I had another admin here that would come in an hour late...take a 2 hour lunch...and leave at 4.  And when she was actually in the office she was constantly on her cell phone taking personal calls.  HR had no idea.  I let it go for a little while, but then I finally opened my mouth.  We're getting paid for the same amount of time (7.5hrs) and she's only here half the day.

People Not Answering Emails/Phone Calls...I might be an equal, but when I call/email you about something I expect a timely answer.

Coming to Work Sick...We get PTO days. Use them for when you're sick instead of when you just don't feel like coming in.  I hate having to walk thru an office you just coughed and sneezed all over.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I work in a cubicle zoo...with phones that don't mute the receiver UNLESS you're on speaker.

So, we have to listen to conference calls on speaker, even if we wouldn't otherwise want to, because there would be too much feedback/background noise if no one muted their phone.

• Options
    itzMS said:

I work in a cubicle zoo...with phones that don't mute the receiver UNLESS you're on speaker.

So, we have to listen to conference calls on speaker, even if we wouldn't otherwise want to, because there would be too much feedback/background noise if no one muted their phone.

People always forget to mute their phones.  I was on a company wide webinar not too long ago and heard a toilet flush in the middle of it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    itzMS said:

People always forget to mute their phones.  I was on a company wide webinar not too long ago and heard a toilet flush in the middle of it. 

Several guys in my office have been busted for taking conference calls in the bathroom. I think its just gross.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh, the office whistler is the worst! I hate that. 

I have a co-worker who works probably 5% of the day and spends 95% of the day chatting. Every time she passes my desk, she stops to talk. She does not pick up on any cues or hints. I've flat out said to her, "I'm busy." She just talks away. Then she complains about how busy she is. It's the must frustrating and annoying thing ever. 
  • Options

Coming to Work Sick...We get PTO days. Use them for when you're sick instead of when you just don't feel like coming in.  I hate having to walk thru an office you just coughed and sneezed all over.
    This.  Why, oh why, do people do this?  It's beyond rude and when I'm not feeling well, I'm not productive so I might as well just stay home and wallow.

I don't work in an office, as my company is headquartered in another state, so I have different annoyances due to my work-from-home environment and the nature of my job:

-Not getting responses from my Sales Engineer for days when his calendar is completely clear, so there's no reason you can't dash off an answer to my email, it takes 5 seconds.

-When my mom/sister/exH/friends take advantage of my work-from-home status and ask me to do things during work hours.  Even though I don't report to an office, I'm still very busy during the day, and no, I don't have time to run your errands for you.  If I have my own errands to run, I do it at lunchtime, too, and am mindful of the 60 minute limit.  

-Vendors/customers who even 'think' I'm going to use my webcam during a demo or status call.  I'm more than happy to be onsite with you, in fact, I prefer it.  But if I'm working from home, I'm in yoga pants and a ponytail.  

-When H gets a little whiny if I'm traveling.  I miss you too, love, but this is how I earn my money.  It's only a couple of days a month, so please be supportive.  

-When I DID work in an office, the worst were the Debbie Downers.  Every office has one, someone who's never happy with anything and spends all day complaining about work, home, SO, kids, food, weather, you name it.  Makes a workplace miserable and I had little tolerance for it.  

Fun vent, thanks for that! 
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    The person in the cube next to me eats dry cereal every morning.  This would not bother me except that he pours it into a paper cup and then every time he dumps some out in his hand he has to shake it.  Every 30 seconds is "shake, shake, shake."  It sounds like he is playing the freaking maracas.

When talking to co-workers and they decide to yawn-talk.  Yeah I would prefer not to be able to see down your throat as well as try to decipher what the hell you are saying because you feel the need to yawn while talking to me.

I also agree with the clipping of nails.  Personal hygiene should be done at home.

People going around and complaining to every single person that they are so damn busy.  If you are that busy then stop socializing and complaining about and actually get to work.

A co-worker goes out for a smoke like every 30 minutes.  And each time she comes in she feels the need to stop by my cube and talk.  Look, if you want to smoke that is fine but don't stand 3 feet away from me and talk for 10 minutes while I have to deal with the intense and gross smell that is coming off of you.

• Options
    I will also add a coworker calling me "kiddo" and male coworkers who comment on my appearances to the list. 

I know saying, "That color looks nice on you," or "You look pretty today," isn't sexual harassment, but it's unprofessional in my opinion. The same goes when I go to a company dinner and a friendly acquaintance tells me a bunch of dudes we work with were asking "who that pretty girl in the green dress" was. It makes me uncomfortable. 
  • Options
    I can't stand yawn-talking!!!!!  My mother and husband do it all the time.  Then I get the evil eye when I say, "I'm sorry, I couldn't understand what you were saying through the yawn"
  • Options
    radleyboo said:

-When I DID work in an office, the worst were the Debbie Downers.  Every office has one, someone who's never happy with anything and spends all day complaining about work, home, SO, kids, food, weather, you name it.  Makes a workplace miserable and I had little tolerance for it.  

Fun vent, thanks for that! 
    I just laughed so hard at this because, of course, you're absolutely accurate. I work with one in particular who was complaining her negative Nancy pants off about everything under the sun, then proceeded to tell me that she's tired of another coworker who's such a Debbie Downer. I was speechless.
  • Options
    The person in the cube next to me eats dry cereal every morning.  This would not bother me except that he pours it into a paper cup and then every time he dumps some out in his hand he has to shake it.  Every 30 seconds is "shake, shake, shake."  It sounds like he is playing the freaking maracas.

Oh...oh gawd. I would hate that. A lady in my office is a yogurt cup scraper...you know the types who scrape the bottom of their yogurt cup relentlessly with their spoon for the last little bits of yogurt?

scrapescrapescrapescrapescrape

aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

• Options
    Where I work, I am the youngster of us all, (20+ years younger than the youngest of them) and I am also the last one to join the 'crew'. I have this coworker who is such a nice and sweet lady, but she FORGETS everything!!! We end up having the same conversations just about every week. On top of that, when she messes up or is confused about something work related, I am the one who has to go through everything with her until she understands it. I have only been there 2 years..she has been there close to 8, I believe. I suppose I will just keep grinding my teeth and holding my breath until one of us is out of there.
  • Options
    - Sick people!  Someone today was blowing their nose very loudly every few minutes and coughing up a lung.  I just felt like I was being infected and wanted to spray a dome of lysol around me.

- Disgusting bathrooms.  We have a cleaning service come through twice a day and it's still nasty.  Do people live like this??
  • Options
    My big thing is that one of our sales people (the girl I took over for) will call one of the other sales guys that's in a diffferent office across the state and will TALK! forever! I swear I almost think they are having an affair!
    Anniversary
  • Options

I really can't complain about anything like this since my coworker apparently is annoyed with me for drinking coffee at my desk. I guess the clinking of my mug hitting the desk annoys him. I don't know what to say to him other than sorry, but I like my morning coffee in my work mug.
  • Options
    That one person who eats really loud. I have an assistant who does that all the time during meetings.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Options
    My boss drives me nuts at times.  He is so hard to read and is always asking us to think about questions such as "Where are you at right now??"  I'm thinking, physically, metaphorically??  I don't get it!!  He also asks us what we want (ie. what would your dream position be? - Full Time Phys-Ed) and the says it's not going to happen when you respond.  I know it's not going to happen, but you asked, so I said!!  Arg!!  

• Options
    I would like to put it on record that I only go in when I'm sick because I have no PTO. And I endeavor to not be near other people when I do.
  • Options
    I would like to put it on record that I only go in when I'm sick because I have no PTO. And I endeavor to not be near other people when I do.
    Ugh.  Most of us work when we're not too sick cos it's too much work to get a sub in.  Unless you've got the flu, it's easier to just suffer at work.  Between us and 1000 students the whole school is a biohazard.  It sucks, but to plan, photocopy and prep for 2-3 hours just to potentially get a shitty sub and have to do it all over again the next day doesn't make sense

• Options
    This.  I was sick a few weeks ago.  I had taken one sick day and I literally only had 10 hours of comp time left.  So if I were to use another 8 hours I would only have 2 hours left to use if an emergency or something else came up.  No way in hell was I going to let myself get that low with my comp leave.  I stayed in my cube.  Talked to no one.  Used a whole box of kleenex and drank tea.  At the end of the day I Lysol'd my entire cube.

• Options
    This.  I was sick a few weeks ago.  I had taken one sick day and I literally only had 10 hours of comp time left.  So if I were to use another 8 hours I would only have 2 hours left to use if an emergency or something else came up.  No way in hell was I going to let myself get that low with my comp leave.  I stayed in my cube.  Talked to no one.  Used a whole box of kleenex and drank tea.  At the end of the day I Lysol'd my entire cube.
    This I can appreciate.  We had someone here yesterday going from cube to cube trying to talk to people while coughing and sneezing all over the place.  When he got to my desk I said back up I don't want your germs.  This guy doesn't "like" Lysol.  "It smells too clean".  Second he steps out someone jumps up with a can or wipe and tries to disinfect his area.

We also had a gem come in one year with swine flu when it was going around like crazy.  Everyone complained enough that he was sent home and couldn't come back until he was cleared by a dr.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I hate office nail clipping too. So bad.

And when employers don't honor or respect two week's notice and tell you to just leave. My company does it every single time. It's really sad and pretty offensive.

And when vendors don't treat you like a customer.
  • Options
    zobird said:
    I hate office nail clipping too. So bad. And when employers don't honor or respect two week's notice and tell you to just leave. My company does it every single time. It's really sad and pretty offensive. And when vendors don't treat you like a customer.
    Funny enough, after this was mentioned several times yesterday, I had someone in my office start clipping his nails around 4pm.  So freaking gross and a highly irritating noise.

• Options
    I work in retail right now, so my pet peeve is...everything about my job.  :)

• Options
    I changed positions within my company recently and while everyone is really nice I got a little irritated today.

I got an email from my box about a task that I had left undone yesterday which I honestly had no idea what she was talking about.  Turns out I had missed an email and a coworker reported it instead of just telling me what I had missed.  Ugh...  No need to go straight to my boss, I can take the corrective criticism.  
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    An office job is pretty much the only type I haven't been in. Thank God, it sounds awful. 

I work in a restaurant currently so I don't have to deal with sharing cubicles with people or anything like that. But there are my complaints. 

I hate it when people don't do their cut work properly. I mostly host and there's so many times I get to work and the bathrooms are nasty (hosts are supposed to clean them before going home) or I go to seat someone and there's crumbs all over the table (servers are supposed to thoroughly clean their tables before leaving). 

There's a girl that just started and has been told many times not to take plates and glasses off the table. For one, servers are supposed to do that, and while it's helpful to do when there's nothing else for the hosts to do, she has ZERO common sense about it. She goes off to do that when there's other things she should be doing. She has repeatedly taken dirty dishes off of one table, then plunked them down on a table where people were STILL EATING so as to take their plates. 

I frequently get told to smile more, asked why I don't smile more, etc. I don't think I walk around with a scowl on my face. I get that I'm in customer service and should be super bubbly around customers. But right now I'm putting glasses and dishes away and if I were grinning ear to ear I'd look like I'm having a psychotic break. There's one server in particular that does this like every time he sees me. YOU AREN'T SMILING EITHER YOU JACKASS.

Also the manager that does the schedule often doesn't put it up until 2 days beforehand so I never know what my week is going to look like work wise, and frequently messes it up by scheduling people while they're in class or when they've already cleared time off. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards