Snarky Brides

Hey, remember awhile back when a ton of brides wanted live fish centerpieces?

What ever happened to that trend?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hey, remember awhile back when a ton of brides wanted live fish centerpieces?

• Hm, logic and compassion crept into the minds of 'zillas everywhere?
    *********************************************************************************

• It hasn't been shown on an episode of "Four Weddings" in awhile, so people have forgotten about it (thank God)...
  • It had a burial at sea.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI attended a wedding with those once. The bride was planning for them to be favors until the groomsmen decided to do "sushi shots"
  • My FI attended a wedding with those once. The bride was planning for them to be favors until the groomsmen decided to do "sushi shots"
    Wow.  At least they knew it was fresh.

The one wedding I went to with betta fish as the centerpieces had a few that didn't survive the reception.  It was sad, especially with the kids all asking questions.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Fish are gross. I couldn't eat at a table with a fish on it.
  • allispain said:
    Next trend: bonsai kittens.
    I WANT ONE!!!!

ETA - just to clarify, I love kittens. I want a kitten. I do NOT want a kitten shoved into a jar (which is what I just saw lots of pictures of when I googled "bonsai kitten" to see what I would get). That's horrible and awful and not acceptable. I am now going to go snuggle my cat out of sadness.
    I promise they are not real. They are stuffed toy kitties in glass jars. I have never known anyone who was actually sick-minded enough to shove a real kitten in a jar, take a photo of it, and post it online.
  • I think I'm going to get those super cute lanterns and put teacup pigs inside them.  Zomg how cute would that be???  

ZOMG I would kill for a teacup pig, so would a couple of my DDs. DD's fiance asked her if he could just get her a teacup pig and skip the big shindig wedding. Can I have a couple before you shove'em in a vase? :)

• The only "living thing" centrepiece I've ever seen that I liked was a couple who did mini potted plant gardens at the reception -- there was ivy and a philodendron and a bromeliad and something else that I can't remember. Or maybe those were the only three.

Anyway. Some of us got to take them home at the end of the night, which was super cool. I still have the ivy plant, actually. 

But they were plants, and not animals, which is kind of the point here. 

Also, I'm guessing they were stupidly expensive, but that's not the point.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • allispain said:
    Next trend: bonsai kittens.
    I WANT ONE!!!!

ETA - just to clarify, I love kittens. I want a kitten. I do NOT want a kitten shoved into a jar (which is what I just saw lots of pictures of when I googled "bonsai kitten" to see what I would get). That's horrible and awful and not acceptable. I am now going to go snuggle my cat out of sadness.
    I promise they are not real. They are stuffed toy kitties in glass jars. I have never known anyone who was actually sick-minded enough to shove a real kitten in a jar, take a photo of it, and post it online.
    Yea, most of them were obviously of stuffed animals, but a couple look creepily real... I hope they're just really lifelike stuffed animals...
  • You can also do amazing things with Photoshop.

Did they actually expect everyone would want to take one home? I know I wouldn't. I wonder what their plans were for the fish when half of them didn't get taken? Also, did the groomsmen actually swallow the fish? That's pretty gross. (sorry, for all the questions. I'm really curious!)
  • I once bartended at a wedding where, instead of clinking glasses to get the couple to kiss, guests had to either take a shot of Wild Turkey 101 or swallow a live fish. Both the bottle and the fish bowl were empty by the end of the night. :(
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I once bartended at a wedding where, instead of clinking glasses to get the couple to kiss, guests had to either take a shot of Wild Turkey 101 or swallow a live fish. Both the bottle and the fish bowl were empty by the end of the night. :(
    Oh. My. Goodness. That must have been one interesting reception...

Did they actually expect everyone would want to take one home? I know I wouldn't. I wonder what their plans were for the fish when half of them didn't get taken? Also, did the groomsmen actually swallow the fish? That's pretty gross. (sorry, for all the questions. I'm really curious!)
    I think they were supposed to be for the kids ( the bride had several nieces/nephews).... I'm sure all the parents there really wanted to drag a goldfish home with them...ugh

FI said they did swallow the fish. Ick!!!!

My FI attended a wedding with those once. The bride was planning for them to be favors until the groomsmen decided to do "sushi shots"
    I think they were supposed to be for the kids ( the bride had several nieces/nephews).... I'm sure all the parents there really wanted to drag a goldfish home with them...ugh FI said they did swallow the fish. Ick!!!!

OH MY GOODNESS!  I'm very much a carnivore and I love fish but raw, live, whole?  No way!
  • I originally thought it would be awesome and then wanted to bring them home to be my pets.  I even did hours or research tryig to figure out how to make it safe for the fish so they wouldn't die. 

I got better.

People who want fish or live animals as part of their weddings should look into renting a zoo or an aquarium as a venue.

Formerly known as flutterbride2b
    I think they were supposed to be for the kids ( the bride had several nieces/nephews).... I'm sure all the parents there really wanted to drag a goldfish home with them...ugh FI said they did swallow the fish. Ick!!!!
    I'm 100% with you here. I do not understand why B&Gs think parents would be geeked about bringing home a fish from a wedding. It's not a damn carnival where at least the parents can say "sorry kiddo, we're not playing the goldfish game". WTF are you supposed to do with it when you get home at midnight? Find a 24hr pet store to buy all the stuff you need? It seems super imposing and inconsiderate to me.
    *********************************************************************************

• it was replaced by mason jars. 

and burlap. 
    OMG If I see one more burlap and mason  jar wedding board on pinterest....
  • I originally thought it would be awesome and then wanted to bring them home to be my pets.  I even did hours or research tryig to figure out how to make it safe for the fish so they wouldn't die. 

I got better.

People who want fish or live animals as part of their weddings should look into renting a zoo or an aquarium as a venue.

HAHA! You are so right. That is a great alternative. Go to a zoo!

I also had the fish bowl idea flash through my mind. I didn't even know it was "a thing". I just love nature and animals... but the animal loving side of me brought me past the initial "ooo... pretty!" stage of it to the thought of dead fish floating in a bowl, guests dropping food and junk in there, tapping on the bowl all night, etc. And then there was something a bit weird about having pets on all the tables that you are eating on, and the logistics of trying to either hand them out or get them home again (which I wouldn't have minded. I have had a high success rate of keeping feeder gold fish alive and healthy for many years, but still...). The idea did not last long.

I have to admit, the zoo idea did flash through my mind as well,
  • missax said:
    A few days ago watched a recent episode of 4 weddings were one of the brides had a fish bowl on each table as the centerpiece so unfortunately this trend isn't completely dead yet.
    This is why I hate that show, for continuing to perpetuate tacky ideas and obsessing over 'themes'.  David Tutera is a close second.  While he gives those people a wedding a million times better than they could have otherwise had, his 15 yr old girl interpreation of themes is so annoying.
  • missax said:
    A few days ago watched a recent episode of 4 weddings were one of the brides had a fish bowl on each table as the centerpiece so unfortunately this trend isn't completely dead yet.
    This is why I hate that show, for continuing to perpetuate tacky ideas and obsessing over 'themes'.  David Tutera is a close second.  While he gives those people a wedding a million times better than they could have otherwise had, his 15 yr old girl interpreation of themes is so annoying.

*Stuck in the box*
    In all fairness, I did see an episode of David Tutera where a bride wanted live fish and he was horrified and said absolutely not. Granted, I absolutely hate how expensive and over-the-top his weddings are for that show.
     Visit The Knot!                                           image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • missax said:

*Stuck in the box*
    In all fairness, I did see an episode of David Tutera where a bride wanted live fish and he was horrified and said absolutely not. Granted, I absolutely hate how expensive and over-the-top his weddings are for that show.
    I do have one good thing to say about him other than that.  When he heard a couple he was doing a wedding for was already married but her dad didn't know, he at least forced the bride to tell her dad the truth.  Even David Tutera has a problem with lying to your close family and friends about already being married.  That said, he still threw them a big, fluffy PPD "wedding" which made me gag.  Especially since the couple's reason was "we just wanted to be married NOW."  I should stop watching his show, but it's like a train wreck and I just...can't...look...away.
  • I truly, honestly thought this was going to be about a news story about gigantic goldfish who were released into ponds after weddings destroying local ecosystems and creating general havoc a la kudzu or pythons in the Everglades.  And now I'm a little disappointed it's not, I have to admit.

• Viczaesar said:
    I truly, honestly thought this was going to be about a news story about gigantic goldfish who were released into ponds after weddings destroying local ecosystems and creating general havoc a la kudzu or pythons in the Everglades.  And now I'm a little disappointed it's not, I have to admit.
    We could always make that happen with a little steroidal fish feed...

Just kidding.  Sort of.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards