Snarky Brides
Options

Hey, remember awhile back when a ton of brides wanted live fish centerpieces?

2»

Re: Hey, remember awhile back when a ton of brides wanted live fish centerpieces?

• Options
    missax said:
    A few days ago watched a recent episode of 4 weddings were one of the brides had a fish bowl on each table as the centerpiece so unfortunately this trend isn't completely dead yet.
    This is why I hate that show, for continuing to perpetuate tacky ideas and obsessing over 'themes'.  David Tutera is a close second.  While he gives those people a wedding a million times better than they could have otherwise had, his 15 yr old girl interpreation of themes is so annoying.

*Stuck in the box*
    In all fairness, I did see an episode of David Tutera where a bride wanted live fish and he was horrified and said absolutely not. Granted, I absolutely hate how expensive and over-the-top his weddings are for that show.
    I do have one good thing to say about him other than that.  When he heard a couple he was doing a wedding for was already married but her dad didn't know, he at least forced the bride to tell her dad the truth.  Even David Tutera has a problem with lying to your close family and friends about already being married.  That said, he still threw them a big, fluffy PPD "wedding" which made me gag.  Especially since the couple's reason was "we just wanted to be married NOW."  I should stop watching his show, but it's like a train wreck and I just...can't...look...away.
    I feel that way about all the wedding shows. They're pretty much all awful, but I just can't stop watching them.
     Visit The Knot!                                           image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013
    One of my friends was telling me about when she attended her cousin's wedding, who had live fish as centerpieces. By the end of the night, a bunch of drunken men were daring each other to do "sushi shots". My friend and another cousin spent the rest of the night trying to rescue the remaining fish from the sushi boys. 

I hope this is why people have stopped using them, as they realize how impractical the idea is. What if no one takes the fish home? Are the B&G going to take home 10 fish bowls? What if they die? 

While I like fish, I could never get over the many things that could go wrong with them. 
  • Options
    I just laughed so hard I snorted. Yep, there it is. The burlap fish themed wedding.
  • Options
    I originally thought it would be awesome and then wanted to bring them home to be my pets.  I even did hours or research tryig to figure out how to make it safe for the fish so they wouldn't die. 

I got better.

People who want fish or live animals as part of their weddings should look into renting a zoo or an aquarium as a venue.

HAHA! You are so right. That is a great alternative. Go to a zoo!

I also had the fish bowl idea flash through my mind. I didn't even know it was "a thing". I just love nature and animals... but the animal loving side of me brought me past the initial "ooo... pretty!" stage of it to the thought of dead fish floating in a bowl, guests dropping food and junk in there, tapping on the bowl all night, etc. And then there was something a bit weird about having pets on all the tables that you are eating on, and the logistics of trying to either hand them out or get them home again (which I wouldn't have minded. I have had a high success rate of keeping feeder gold fish alive and healthy for many years, but still...). The idea did not last long.

I have to admit, the zoo idea did flash through my mind as well,
    Our wedding is in an aquarium actually. We are having our reception right in front of the shark tank. No animals get to be seated at the tables though, only guests.
  • Options
    Sushi shots!
  • Options
    @clairekundinger is that a jello shooter with gummy fish in it?!?! That is hilarious.
  • Options
    Yes! I think lol. I googled that one but we often have parties where the theme is "booze food"! (Usually for the FI and his friends lol) and one year we did Jello shots and vodka soaked gummy bears (and vodka soaked cupcakeswith voka frosting and pudding shots and the list continues) but I now want to soak gummy fish in vodka, and then put the in blue jello shots! not as a center piece for my wedding though!!!!
  • Options
    Sounds nummy! I want one!
  • Options
    It went the way of the mysterious house hippo.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards