Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Catholic Ceremony, Cannot Start Until 7:30; Too late?

Hello all, 
My fiance and I are meeting with our church soon to began our marriage prep courses. In talking with one of the people at the church, he informed me that Saturday wedding ceremony options are either 2pm or 7:30pm. I've always wanted a night wedding, but I feel like starting a Catholic ceremony at 7:30 will push everything (the reception/dinner) way too late. Even if we do a shorter ceremony (30-45minutes), once you factor in time for pictures, dinner likely wouldn't be served until 9pm. I do plan on having a cocktail hour with appetizers and the reception venue is less than 5 minutes from the church. I just wanted some opinions/advice on choosing that start time/how to plan. As a general FYI: I think my fiance and I will do a "first look" so that should cut down on picture taking time after the ceremony. 

Re: Catholic Ceremony, Cannot Start Until 7:30; Too late?

• Options
    Well, if you have to start the ceremony at 7:30pm (which I don't think is too late), then a dessert reception would be appropriate.  Actually it would also be appropriate for a 2pm wedding.
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't like the idea of a long gap between the ceremony and reception, it seems so awkward to me. I don't really think I"m on board with the dessert reception idea either though. I'll figure something out. 
  • Options
    I agree that 9 is a little late to start dinner, but people will realize this when they see a 7:30 start time on your invitations, and will eat a big/late lunch.  And if you have apps at cocktail hour, then I think you'll be fine.   
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    If your ceremony is at 7:30 and you do the shorter ceremony, you could easily be serving dinner by 8:30.  Just do all of your photos pre-ceremony.

I do think you need to know your group though.  In our social circle, not serving dinner until 8:30 would not go over well.  A 7:30 ceremony would be assumed to have a dessert/appetizer reception.
  • Options
    I attended a Saturday wedding where the Catholic ceremony, (full mass) began at 7:30.  On the invitation, it read "Please join us immediately following the ceremony for dinner drinks and dancing"  IMO I don't think this is too late for a Saturday, it's a night out.  Also most Catholics don't mind a wedding mass as it takes care of their Sunday obligation
  • Options
    You'll be fine.   It is late, yes, but look at it this way.  My only option was a 3:00p ceremony and a 7:00 pm reception.  At least your guests won't have to wait with a long gap.   Have an abbreviated mass - not full mass w/ communion and everything.  That should be done by 8ish.  Then you can start the cocktail hour at 830 or 9, while you take photos and have dinner down by 930.  Most cocktail hours I've been at start at 730 anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• Options
    A late dinner is preferable to the Catholic gap, if that is what you're asking. My family is Catholic. They've always had their receptions immediately following the ceremony, no matter what time of day, even it meant having a four course meal at 3 o'clock in the afternoon. I think it will be fine to serve a late dinner. As long as you make it clear on the invitations that cocktails and dinner will be served, guests will plan ahead to eat a late lunch or a light snack before the ceremony.

• Options
    I would recommend doing all your pictures before the ceremony.  Then all of your guests can go directly to the reception and maybe have a 1/2 hour cocktail hour just to give everyone time to get to the reception hall.  Then have dinner start at 9.  If its Saturday night, I think people will be fine with the late start time and it also takes care of the Sunday obligation for church.
  • Options
    With a first look, you can get all of your pictures done before the ceremony, so there should be no delay between the end of the ceremony and start of the reception.
  • Options
    If I were invited to a 7:30 wedding, I'd definitely eat dinner beforehand. You could do a heavy appetizer, cocktail-style reception, as others mentioned. I certainly wouldn't expect dinner at 8:30 or 9:00 since it's so late.

That said, it depends on your area/circle. In Michigan, a wedding dinner is almost always served between 5:00 - 7:00 (especially if you have a lot of older guests), but I know in places like NYC and other big metro areas, 8:00 or 9:00 is not uncommon.
  • Options
    My family/friends and myself would prefer a slight gap with.appeyizers and drinks over eating at 8:30. That is just my circle. I wouldn't plan a gap between dinner and the ceremony without hosting something. Remember that these are your guests and to consider their comfort.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards