Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Anyone done a second line outside New Orleans?

I'm 100% Cajun born and raised in Louisiana, but we're talking about having a wedding in Florida where we live, and where the grooms family is from. I think at least half of the wedding will think this is a most bizzare tradition, but I have to believe it could still work. there's a downtown area in Gainesville where we live, or orlando even. Has anyone done a second line outside of the Bayou state? How did it go?

Re: Anyone done a second line outside New Orleans?

• Options
    We're having a second line outside of Louisiana too. My fiance and I both love New Orleans and were disappointed when our plans to get married there didn't work out, so we decided to bring as much NOLA up to Michigan as possible including the second line. I'm sure most of our guests won't know anything about it, so we'll be informing them ahead of time that we'll be having a second line parade, what it is, and the history of it. Hopefully it works out!
  • Options
    I am having one in Prairieville... only about 45 minutes away from New Orleans. LOL.
  • Options
    What's a second line?
  • Options
    "Second line is a tradition in brass band parades in New Orleans, Louisiana. The "main line" or "first line" is the main section of the parade, or the members of the actual club with the parading permit as well as the brass band. Those who follow the band just to enjoy the music are called the "second line." The second line's style of traditional dance, in which participants walk and sometimes twirl a parasol or handkerchief in the air, is called "second lining." It has been called "the quintessential New Orleans art form – a jazz funeral without a body."[1] Another significant difference from so called "jazz funerals" is second line parades usually lack the slow hymns and dirges played at funerals (although this is not a hard rule; some organizations may have the band play something solemn towards the start of the parade in memory of members deceased since their last parade" - Wikipedia (I know, not that reliable but it was quick)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards