Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cake Flavours

Any suggestions for cake flavours that could be accomodating to lactose intolerant people?  My FI,  FMIL, and a lot on his side can't have milk.  I have no idea for flavours I would like, and what do to for "icing" or jelly or whatever in between the layers of cake.  Not sure if I am describing this right. I do know the outside will be fondant.  For example, if I choose red velvet, should I use a jelly or icing(made with soy milk or something similiar)or anything at all.  I'm so lost in the cake department! 

I was assured that substituting milk would not alter the flavour that much, and we have done a brithday cake with soy milk and it tasted fine to me. I don't want to have two cakes either, so I would prefer not to have to go that route.

Someone suggested one layer have the lactose free and have the other two tiers with milk. 

Thoughts?  Suggestions.

Re: Cake Flavours

• Options
    mrsmustard12mrsmustard12 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if you've already picked a baker but you could look for a place that could do a vegan cake where you live.  I'm vegan and I found a bakery that specializes in vegan cakes.  Everyone at the tasting (planner, mom, me) was blown away by how incredible and moist the cake was.  I'm having passionfruit and guava cake and my guests will never be able to tell that there's no eggs or dairy in there!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    tseguintseguin member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-flavours?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:03ccaefc-dead-41ab-a709-48fdedf9a02bPost:83f8e622-79c8-494f-a216-07a1dd970d72">Re: Cake Flavours</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know if you've already picked a baker but you could look for a place that could do a vegan cake where you live.  I'm vegan and I found a bakery that specializes in vegan cakes.  Everyone at the tasting (planner, mom, me) was blown away by how incredible and moist the cake was.  I'm having passionfruit and guava cake and my guests will never be able to tell that there's no eggs or dairy in there!
    Posted by MDigeon1125[/QUOTE]

thanks for the tip.  He can actually have eggs and butter.  He's not full out, but anything with milk and he feels it. I'm not sure vegan is the route I want to go. But I appreciate the suggestion. His cousin is baking our cake.  she told me of all kinds of flavours but there are sooooo many!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Narrow your options down by ingredients, not flavors.  That way you know, based off your cousin's recipes, which cake options he can eat.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Can your cousin list the flavors that are milk-free?  Then maybe she could make a sample of 1 to 3 so you can decide what you would like. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-flavours?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:03ccaefc-dead-41ab-a709-48fdedf9a02bPost:2edadb62-5fda-4cfa-ba74-37227414ca63">Re: Cake Flavours</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can your cousin list the flavors that are milk-free?  Then maybe she could make a sample of 1 to 3 so you can decide what you would like. 
    Posted by Wiscisbliss[/QUOTE]

I agree with this!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    tseguintseguin member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-flavours?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:03ccaefc-dead-41ab-a709-48fdedf9a02bPost:1e4c8921-99da-4a39-85d0-0522d39a3bed">Re: Cake Flavours</a>:
    [QUOTE]Narrow your options down by ingredients, not flavors.  That way you know, based off your cousin's recipes, which cake options he can eat.
    Posted by 031107[/QUOTE]
    Thanks! great tip!
  • Options
    tseguintseguin member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-flavours?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:03ccaefc-dead-41ab-a709-48fdedf9a02bPost:2edadb62-5fda-4cfa-ba74-37227414ca63">Re: Cake Flavours</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can your cousin list the flavors that are milk-free?  Then maybe she could make a sample of 1 to 3 so you can decide what you would like. 
    Posted by Wiscisbliss[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea. I can't believe I just didn't think of that.  Too much on my mind and on the go. Thanks! I'll email and ask her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards