Registry and Gift Forum

Backorder - Macy's

On May 8, I bought a punchbowl/glasses off of a friend's registry - I got a big discount for buying during their Mother's Day sale.  Macy's shipped it FedEx on May 9, but when it got to the FedEx office in Texas, it was all broken so they sent it back to Macy's.

I didn't know any of this.  I called on May 18 to find out why she hadn't received it yet, and they told me what happened and that they were re-shipping it on May 19.  I got an e-mail n May 19 saying a duplicate was sent that day.

I haven't heard anything since then, so today I went to the Macy's store and had the registry clerk call about this.  She says it's out of stock, and the plan is just to keep my money and wait until it's back IN stock, and then they will send it to her.  I asked WHEN that would be - would that be before Christmas - and she said there was no way to find that out.

And now this afternoon, I got an e-mail thanking me for my patience in waiting for this to et back IN stock.

Here's the thing:  I can cancel this order and get the money put back on my credit card, and then send her a Macy's gift card or something else off her Macy's registry or something from another store, etc.

But with the discount, I only paid $95 instead of like $135.  So if I cancel this, it's like losing $40. 

If I let this wait, I will have to write to the bride and tell her what's happened because she was married on June 9 and it looks like we didn't get her anything at all (when actually I ordered this A MONTH before her wedding), and then I have to say that I have no idea WHEN she'll get the gift we bought her - which is the truth but it sounds lame.

What would you do?

Re: Backorder - Macy's

• egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_backorder-macys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:6a223d14-fda5-4fbf-9d87-2ee9560e6635Post:07d90581-c636-4d2a-b83c-8fd8cb19c0c3">Re: Backorder - Macy's</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think I would have them credit my card and send another gift, explaining what happened with Macy's. 
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I would do the same thing.  Macy's is always running a sale, at least half of my registry is on sale right now, plus you can get an extra 15% off with code FOURTH, so chances are you can still get her something nice for a good price.

</div>
  • She also may know already. When one of the gifts a friend got me was backordered Macys actually sent me an e-mail saying so. Of course that was at least a month ago and I still haven't gotten it. 

image 180 invited image 145 are ready to party image 35 are missing out image 0! can't find the mailbox rsvp's due back June 20th! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_backorder-macys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:6a223d14-fda5-4fbf-9d87-2ee9560e6635Post:df15a51b-9f83-419b-b6c9-f8f3a4ae7123">Re: Backorder - Macy's</a>:
    [QUOTE]She also may know already. When one of the gifts a friend got me was backordered Macys actually sent me an e-mail saying so. Of course that was at least a month ago and I still haven't gotten it. 
    Posted by dramaqueen91087[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto this - I got an email letting me know that a guest had purchased an item, and that it was out of stock but would be shipped when it was in stock. It came in a few weeks later, no issues.</div><div>
    </div><div>FWIW I also had guests send gifts after the wedding, and I had no issue with that either. I'm sure she will understand given the circumstances.</div>
  • thanks everyone!!
  • Personally, I always love getting a late gift weeks after my birthday or whatever, because it continues the excitement a little longer. 

If you know the bride (couple) well, I would base the decision on if you think she would really most love to have the punch bowl, or if there is something else left on her registry that would be equally desirable (and in the right price range).
  • Either this week or next, Macy's is having a 20% completion discount for all married couples.  This means you'll get the discount since they're already married and it's on top of a home sale so it should save you a nice chunk of money.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_backorder-macys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:6a223d14-fda5-4fbf-9d87-2ee9560e6635Post:df15a51b-9f83-419b-b6c9-f8f3a4ae7123">Re: Backorder - Macy's</a>:
    [QUOTE]She also may know already. When one of the gifts a friend got me was backordered Macys actually sent me an e-mail saying so. Of course that was at least a month ago and I still haven't gotten it. 
    Posted by dramaqueen91087[/QUOTE]
     I got an email exactly like this when my aunt bought me the 1 piece of luggage I liked. WEll it turns out it has since been discontinued and they refunded the amount paid back to her card. but as for the mothers day discounts she used and alll the extras that got it down to 75% off, she out those. I also found it really annoying that it took them nearly 2 months to figure out that it was discontinued and that they couldnt locate one to send- even though it was not listed as out of stock or discontinued when she paid for it. <div>
    </div><div>Also, I did not receive an email saying that the luggage was no longer going to be sent, so if my aunt hadnt told me I would still be wondering what in the world was taking macys or their supplier so long to ship it. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards