July 2012 Weddings

Take 2: Hotel Block Drama + Invitation Inserts - WWYD?

I posted this yesterday right before TK started eating everything...so here goes again!!

One of our room blocks is at a fancy hotel which is actually the site of our reception. Another is about 15 minutes away, but about 1/2 the cost of the fancier hotel. Both of them are nearly FULL - each block has about 2 more rooms in it.

Our invitations have been printed - I am still waiting to receive them from the stupid Etsy lady - BUT our insert card re: accomodations only has the original two room blocks on it.

I have since set up two additional room blocks near the reception site.  I will put these two blocks on our website, plus two other hotels I found with availability that are not able to set up blocks for us that would be convenient for guests. 

I don't know what to do about our invitations, as far as what hotel information to include. I think I am leaning towards sending the invitations as they are, with the accomodation card included, BUT adding an extra insert that fiance and I are going to create ourselves saying something like "our two original room blocks are nearly full, so we have added these two room blocks. Here is the reservation info: _______. Here are two other hotels with availability: _____". Since our invitation designer sucks, we would just make these cards ourselves somehow and print at Kinko's, even if they don't match our invitations exactly.

Re: Take 2: Hotel Block Drama + Invitation Inserts - WWYD?

• Question: if you took out the original card and made a new one with the new hotel info on it (option #3 in your poll), would you still put the original, almost full hotel info on that card too?

I picked option #3 because I think it might look odd to have two different accomodation cards, because it'll be obvious that they weren't created together. I know you couldn't forsee this issue happening, but I dunno, I don't like that your guests will know about it and that the other hotels were after-thoughts. KWIM?

I would definitely do either option #2 or 3 though, because I do think your guests need to have all the hotel info with the invite. I bet most people won't even look at your website.
    Photobucket
  • I wouldn't even bother including the info about the hotel blocks being full... I would just add an additional card giving the other hotel block info.  Your guests will figure it out... don't make yourself crazy over it.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_take-2-hotel-block-drama-invitation-inserts-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:87d6c38b-86fc-4352-b665-759e9bc70f00Post:2f0de574-ff11-46ce-bb44-a2447540cbeb">Re: Take 2: Hotel Block Drama + Invitation Inserts - WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Question<strong>: if you took out the original card and made a new one with the new hotel info on it (option #3 in your poll), would you still put the original, almost full hotel info on that card too?</strong> I picked option #3 because I think it might look odd to have two different accomodation cards, because it'll be obvious that they weren't created together. I know you couldn't forsee this issue happening, but I dunno, I don't like that your guests will know about it and that the other hotels were after-thoughts. KWIM? I would definitely do either option #2 or 3 though, because I do think your guests need to have all the hotel info with the invite. I bet most people won't even look at your website.
    Posted by ceglare4[/QUOTE]

I am not sure....this is really complicated! :(
  • edited May 2012
    I'd leave all four hotel room blocks on your website and send an accomodation card with only the new two blocks. Then you can put a little disclaimer/explaination on the website. If your guests have access to the website, then I'm sure the last few rooms in the first two blocks will fill. I don't think it's necessary to send that info out in the invite because it's pretty much irrelevant at this point.

Edit: So, #3 :)

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• This sucks. I don't like any of the options!

If it were me, I would probably remove the original insert and replace it with a new insert because I would want people to have the information . . . but I would be really annoyed that it didn't match. Is there any way to make the new insert so it coordinated, but didn't match? I know you said you're not super crafty, but maybe you could make it not QUITE as obvious that it doesn't match? Like, use purples and silvers so it's not really obvious?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't like any of the options either!! and options 2 and 3 are currently tied in my poll which makes it even harder, hahaha.

Our invite inserts are on ivory linen cardstock with some silver/grey accenting and will be in a lilac pocket fold with a grey belly band.  I am afraid if I made my own ivory inserts, like you said, it would really just not match at all.

I have no idea how I would make it look coordinating......sigh. But I agree, I don't want the insert to look funny - I actually think that once we get the invites, they will be stunning and gorgeous, and putting a random non-matching insert into them would throw off their whole vibe.

UGH!
  • Ours were an ivory linen cardstock too, and if I got a random insert from Kinkos it would totally not match unless you got similar cardstock from, like, Papersource. It would be hard to match exactly, though.

What we did to coordinate our (many) inserts, was to use different aspects of the invitations' coloring and accent them in different ways on different inserts. For example, the invitation itself was the most formal, with a lot of light pink and gold accenting in flourishes, then we did the reception card with kind of the reverse with gold and some pink accents, then we did the brunch card with pink stripes and some gold accents, etc. It's hard to explain, but maybe if you did a silver card (or even just a silver bordered card) on ivory cardstock (even if not the same weight/formality) it won't look totally out of place.

I honestly think if you leave it as is and just mention by word of mouth to CHECK THE WEBSITE people will check and then when they aren't able to book one of the two named hotels, they will then see there are other options on the website.

I don't know though . . .
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I should be happy that so many people are planning ahead and booking hotels. It's the most random people that have booked, though - one of fiance's old co-workers in Cincinnati who he really didn't know that well, but invited because he didn't want to leave him out, booked weeks ago, whereas some of our relatives haven't booked yet at all! so bizarre.

I REALLY don't know what to do. I think I will wait until we actually receive the invites to figure out what we could do that might coordinate. I like the idea of a silver card....as long as we can do a kind-of similar font, it might not look TOO crazy.  I just don't know though....

We are also sending out separate brunch invitations to all OOT guests who positively RSVP. that will be a whole other project in itself...
  • Just do a new one, with all four listed. I think it's confusing to include two different cards.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • First of all, I wouldn't stress too much!  No matter which option you go with, you'll be fine and people will understand.  I voted for keep the original and adding an extra insert with additional hotel information because with my invitations they are pocketfold and lined up - if I took out the Accommodation card it would look funny.  Don't worry too much (if possible), everyone will have a hotel room and if I got that info going to a wedding I would completely understand and think it was very thoughtful that you booked a new block.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_take-2-hotel-block-drama-invitation-inserts-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:87d6c38b-86fc-4352-b665-759e9bc70f00Post:eb1a4ee1-e773-43e1-94a1-99e57a1fc2b4">Re: Take 2: Hotel Block Drama + Invitation Inserts - WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]First of all, I wouldn't stress too much!  No matter which option you go with, you'll be fine and people will understand.  I voted for keep the original and adding an extra insert with additional hotel information because with my invitations they are pocketfold and lined up - if I took out the Accommodation card it would look funny. <strong> Don't worry too much (if possible), everyone will have a hotel room and if I got that info going to a wedding I would completely understand and think it was very thoughtful that you booked a new block.
    Posted by LandB2012[/QUOTE]

</strong>Thank you!! THis is what I was really hoping - that people would just appreciate that I realized our blocks were full, and that I was trying to make it easy for everyone to find a room.  I am afraid it would look funny if I took out the accommodation card as well, especially since our accommodation card also has our website link and I think directions on it too....
  • I know that you dont like any of the options but I agree with others- No point to include the already booked room block.  Also no-one is going to notice that the insert does not match haha I cant believe i just said that!  And I know that is so much harder to do then to say!  But it is the truth!

• I'd leave it as is at the moment and include an extra card for the other two blocks.  We had to do something similar for RSVP for our buses, they don't match the rest of the invites but that's okay.  I would just do another card or something that is on top of the other hotel block, or write on the hotel block cards you do have that they should visit your website for two new hotels or something like that.

Anniversary
  • Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    In Response to Re:Take 2: Hotel Block Drama Invitation Inserts WWYD?:[QUOTE]First of all, I wouldn't stress too much!nbsp; No matter which option you go with, you'll be fine and people will understand.nbsp; I voted for keep the original and adding an extra insert with additional hotel information because with my invitations they are pocketfold and lined up if I took out the Accommodation card it would look funny.nbsp; Don't worry too much if possible, everyone will have a hotel room and if I got that info going to a wedding I would completely understand and think it was very thoughtful that you booked a new block. Posted by LandB2012[/QUOTE]

I agree with this 100! It'll work and people will understand. Maybe on your 2nd accommodation card you can say something that briefly explains the other hotel blocks getting full..? Something that helps people understand why there are two accommodation cards you know? :
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards