Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

We are getting our wedding and reception for free...

We are using the Cruise Desk to help us with our plans. Just by having family we are getting our wedding and reception free on Royal Caribbean! They were so great in helping us to get it setup. If we get enough of our family and frineds to join us, they will set us up in a Royal Suite as well as have the wedding and reception for us at no cost... We couldn't pass up the offer - and they said they can still get this for others too! But I guess you have to book or block by May or June, but you can have the wedding anytime in 2014... not sure if they go into 2014.. but you can always ask them. cruisedesk@usa.com or cruisedesk@europe.com.

Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free...

• In Response to We are getting our wedding and reception for free...:

I wrote them and they called right back, thanks!!  I think this is going to be the best idea for us and our guest cost wise and enjoyment wise.  Our guests who most would be coming from out of town having to rent hotels rent cars and by meals will actually save on a 5 day cruise.  They said it was oging to cost our guests depending on which cruise we decide, between $229 to $399 a person and we get the wedding and a reception for free.  When I figure what my guest would be having to pay out of pocket, I think they may like this idea, as they get a great little vacation while enjoying a nice wedding.  Thank you for the idea!
  • Cruisedesk sounds like a sleazy travel agent.  I hope you didn't give her/him a credit card number or your contact info.

CMGr - Here's the post from the Honeymoons board, minus the contact information.

We are using the Cruise Desk to help us with our plans.  Just by having family we are getting our wedding free on Royal Caribbean!  They were so great in helping us to get it setup.  If we get enough of our family and frineds to join us, they will set us up in a Royal Suite as well as have the wedding and reception for us at no cost...  We couldn't pass up the offer - and they said they can still get this for others too!  But I guess you have to book or block by May or June, but you can have the wedding anytime in 2014... not sure if they go into 2014..  but you can always ask them. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_we-are-getting-our-wedding-and-reception-for-free?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:b9db5cd7-f3ec-41d8-9b3c-242c23e2fcb7Post:322559a6-2bfd-4f72-85a9-fefb87f943e8">Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free... : The OP's post was deleted (probably because it violates the Knot's rules against advertising), but this sounds very fishy to me.  What cruiseline is this?  There are some out there that cannot be trusted!
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

The cruise line they offered was Royal Caribbean.  They emailed me the brochure, and Royals wedding serrvices have been made available.
  • edited January 2013
    Now I've seen everything:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/weddings/productBundle.do?pagename=web_page_weddings_landing_packages

Check out the Sweethearts at Sea  Package - get your friends and family members to book 12 or more state rooms and the bride and groom get a free wedding ceremony. No reception for the 'guests. '

If you sell 25 cabins to your loved ones, the cruise line will throw in a one hour wine and hors d'oeuvres reception for the guests. How generous! The couple gets a cabin upgrade a few extra treats.

In other words, you expect your family and friends to pay to attend your wedding, on a vacation that you choose. In return, you are not hosting anything for them. Good grief!

• IDK, when I looked at all they offer, I thought and still do yhink it was and is a good  idea.  We were going to do Las Vegas, but just the hotel for our guest for the 4 nights was over $480.  Yes we are planning two dinners and a breakfast and the parties leading up to the wedding, but those attending would have to pay other meals, rent a cars and other incidentals.  When I put it all together it appears it would be less expensive for all my guests and probably something they would all enjoy??  Am I wrong when I look at what they would be having to pay for lodging etc, and seeing that they could save money?

Below is what Royal Caribbean is offering through the cruise agent, and we have well over 120 ppl attending...  IDK - I see it as good option

Book 12 or more staterooms on any 2013 cruise of 5 nights or longer and our Sweethearts at Sea wedding package is free. Ceremony, photography, bouquet and boutonniere, cake, wine and other extras are included. Book 25 or more staterooms and enjoy a complimentary wine and hors d’oeuvres reception.

The Sweethearts at Sea package includes:
    • Wedding planning services
    • Onboard Royal Romance Coordinator
    • Boutonniere & 12 long-stemmed roses
    • 8" white fondant cake
    • Recorded music plus live soloist during the ceremony
    • Wine at the ceremony
    • Royal Wedding Registry
    • Dinner for the bride and groom at a specialty restaurant
    • Stateroom decorations, including fresh flowers
    • Photography service, including thirty (30) 8x10 prints and one (1) CD with 15 images
    • Ceremony performed by the ship's captain
    • Keepsake certificate
    • Champagne and strawberries in the stateroom
    • Breakfast in bed

Set sail with a wedding party and enjoy more onboard. Book at least 25 staterooms and receive our Sweethearts at Sea PREMIUM package, which includes everything in the Sweethearts at Sea package PLUS:

• 1 hour wine and hors d'oeuvres reception for the bride, groom and 48 guests
    • Stateroom upgrade for the bride and groom (Upgrade up to Junior Suites only)
  • That's all nice and grand, especially that the bride and groom get a complimentary dinner, but wha type of reception are you planning for your guests?  You need to plan SOMETHING--they are spending thousands of dollars to come to your wedding.

I also don't understand why they would need to spend 4 nights in Las Vegas if you got married there.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_we-are-getting-our-wedding-and-reception-for-free?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:b9db5cd7-f3ec-41d8-9b3c-242c23e2fcb7Post:435cbaa5-f521-4c3f-bca1-cfdcc62254e2">Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free...</a>:
    [QUOTE]IDK, when I looked at all they offer, I thought and still do yhink it was and is a good  idea.  We were going to do Las Vegas, but just the hotel for our guest for the 4 nights was over $480.  Yes we are planning two dinners and a breakfast and the parties leading up to the wedding, but those attending would have to pay other meals, rent a cars and other incidentals.  When I put it all together it appears it would be less expensive for all my guests and probably something they would all enjoy??  Am I wrong when I look at what they would be having to pay for lodging etc, and seeing that they could save money? Below is what Royal Caribbean is offering through the cruise agent, and <strong>we have well over 120 ppl attending</strong>...  IDK - I see it as good option Book 12 or more staterooms on any 2013 cruise of 5 nights or longer and our Sweethearts at Sea wedding package is free. Ceremony, photography, bouquet and boutonniere, cake, wine and other extras are included. Book 25 or more staterooms and enjoy a complimentary wine and hors d’oeuvres reception. The Sweethearts at Sea package includes: Wedding planning services Onboard Royal Romance Coordinator Boutonniere & 12 long-stemmed roses 8" white fondant cake Recorded music plus live soloist during the ceremony Wine at the ceremony Royal Wedding Registry Dinner for the bride and groom at a specialty restaurant Stateroom decorations, including fresh flowers Photography service, including thirty (30) 8x10 prints and one (1) CD with 15 images Ceremony performed by the ship's captain Keepsake certificate Champagne and strawberries in the stateroom Breakfast in bed Set sail with a wedding party and enjoy more onboard. Book at least 25 staterooms and receive our Sweethearts at Sea PREMIUM package, which includes everything in the Sweethearts at Sea package PLUS: <strong>1 hour wine and hors d'oeuvres reception for the bride, groom and 48 guests</strong> Stateroom upgrade for the bride and groom (Upgrade up to Junior Suites only)
    Posted by lawwoman[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>SO...you'll have "well over 120 people attending", but only 48 can go to the reception??? NICE... rethink this. 

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_we-are-getting-our-wedding-and-reception-for-free?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:b9db5cd7-f3ec-41d8-9b3c-242c23e2fcb7Post:41f19dfb-c926-4047-b3a7-dc389591ae62">Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free... : SO...you'll have "well over 120 people attending", but only 48 can go to the reception??? NICE... rethink this. 
    Posted by shine882007[/QUOTE]

I asked the same question, that number is expanded based on the number of canbins booked.  I gues they were using that as an example.  They were explaining you get a certain number of points per cabin and you can use those points to provide a lareger reception.  Gifts delivered to the guests, expanded dinners for everyone, private club party for 3 hrs etc the list was like 2 pages long.

And by what they have provided for pricing, it doesn'y cost thousands per guest, they offered a rate, they offered a low rate of between $299 to $349 per standard cabin which includes all the meals shows and just about everything except like alcohol

We thought if we did this we could put a group excurison together at one of the stops as one of the gifts to our guests.

We were doing a long weekend in Las Vegas - with all we were planning, it would be a fun family and friends time from Bacholor/ette parties to shows because both our friends and family many who we haven't seen in years would be coming from throughout the U,S,

So in talking to them, they looked forward to the 4 days.  Even my bridesmaids are coming from 4 different States... so its not like we all live right here, in fact only two of us live within 200 miles of each other
  • edited January 2013
    Here are the cons

1.The $299 - $399 you were quoted is per person, not per cabin. That will be $600, at least, per couple + port fees, taxes and other surcharges that the cruise line will add. Plus that is the lowest priced inside cabin.

2.Your 'guests' are paying for your wedding, while you are providing nothing for them. They will get whatever is included in the cruise, just like the other passengers. The one hour wine and hors d'eouvre package is a cheap thank you, from the cruise line,  to 48 of your guest, considering what it will cost them to attend your wedding. The other guests get nothing!

3. Unlike the Vegas ceremony, your guests will be locked in for the duration of the cruise. They will not have the option of spending one night for the wedding and then leaving. In addition to the cost of the cruise, those people will have to give up five or more vacation days, for a vacation that YOU choose for them. Don't count on 120 people being willing to do that for you.

4. Like CMgr said, nothing in life is free. Someone will be paying for your wedding and it won't be you  And it won't be RCCL. Don't take advantage of your loved ones like that.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_we-are-getting-our-wedding-and-reception-for-free?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:b9db5cd7-f3ec-41d8-9b3c-242c23e2fcb7Post:1c72b598-d9e8-4326-a624-89a8cd0a4f91">Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free... : <strong>I asked the same question, that number is expanded based on the number of canbins booked.  I gues they were using that as an example.  They were explaining you get a certain number of points per cabin and you can use those points to provide a lareger reception.  Gifts delivered to the guests, expanded dinners for everyone, private club party for 3 hrs etc the list was like 2 pages long. </strong>And by what they have provided for pricing, it doesn'y cost thousands per guest, they offered a rate, they offered a low rate of between $299 to $349 per standard cabin which <strong>includes all the meals shows </strong>and just about everything except like alcohol We thought if we did this we could put a group excurison together at one of the stops as one of the gifts to our guests. We were doing a long weekend in Las Vegas - with all we were planning, it would be a fun family and friends time from Bacholor/ette parties to shows because both our friends and family many who we haven't seen in years would be coming from throughout the U,S, So in talking to them, they looked forward to the 4 days.  Even my bridesmaids are coming from 4 different States... so its not like we all live right here, in fact only two of us live within 200 miles of each other
    Posted by lawwoman[/QUOTE]

Don't kid yourself. The cruise lines offer low rates on cabins for a reason. They like to sail a full ship. The more passengers, the more money making opportunities for them. They jack up their prices on all those extras, such as gifts delivered to rooms (ex. $45 for 6 chocolate dipped strawberries), spa services, excursions and alcoholic beverages.If you are hosting those things for your guests, plan on spending much more that it would cost you for a traditonal wedding for the same number of people. It is unlikely that the points you get for booking all those guests will cover the gifts because the cruise line is in it to make money. Aside from that, if your guests are paying for the points, those are not really gifts, are they?

All the main dining room, buffet, pool grill meals and the shows are included in the cost of the cruise cabin for everyone. This is not something special, just for your guests.

• Everything Marie said, plus, you don't know you have 120 attending until you get the response cards back.  I'm assuming you have not sent invites yet.  I wouldn't go unless you were family or a very close friend and it was during a time I already had vacation.  
  • This is incredibly rude and wrong.  You're basically USING your guests and foisting the cost of your wedding on them.  You should be ashamed to be considering it, frankly.

• You said some of your family you haven't seen in years. I have family I haven't seen in years, and I wouldn't pay that much to attend their weddings. I honestly would ONLY do this if it were a sibling's wedding. I would send a gift and decline my invitation.

I also think the whole thing is a little over the top. Really, you can't just say your vows in your hometown? You have to instead inconvenience every single person you know for the sheer dramatics of getting married at sea? I mean, I guess it is a little romantic, but it seems better suited for an elopement.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also, the $229-$300 seems like it would be per person, PER DAY. I could be wrong, but that seems more on par for prices of a typical carribean cruise.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_we-are-getting-our-wedding-and-reception-for-free?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:b9db5cd7-f3ec-41d8-9b3c-242c23e2fcb7Post:fefa29b9-3f14-4c6f-a55e-14c9c39bc5fe">Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lawwoman, here is the ONLY scenario where you could take advantage of this cruise promotion and be etiquette correct: 1.  You have a budget of $24,000 2.  You have a guest list of 50 close relatives and friends. 3.  You pay for the cruises for yourself and your guests.  You are now hosting your wedding. 4.  Your guests pay for their own transportation to and from the ship. This promotion is a terrific deal - for Royal Caribbean!  They sell cabins.  The provide food and a space for your reception, which costs them nothing, because they would have to feed paying passengers anyway.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

So if we have the wedding lets say in our hometown - or Las Vegas, we should pay for everyones hotel rooms? Thats primarily the same thing.? 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_we-are-getting-our-wedding-and-reception-for-free?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:b9db5cd7-f3ec-41d8-9b3c-242c23e2fcb7Post:d503b924-6dd2-4353-8691-c32046d0f03d">Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free... : Have you ever seen any of those sleeping closet inside cabins?  They're really tiny!  This wouldn't be a price for a seven day cruise.  They are quoting the low price because there is a short cruise, somewhere, on an inconvenient day, that they can price this low.  Most cruise itineraries would be more than this.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

You have over 11000 posts over the past three years, are you a wedding planner or something..??   Is that why this idea is so negative?  You have given a lot of information from the start and it started as a scam - you found out it wasn't, but each time it has been a negative response...  It sounds as if you fear losing business over such an offer...

Sorry, but I though this was a board to ask questions and get reliable feed back, but not be slammed for looking at all options... 

Actually the rate provided was for the very weekend I decided upon, not Royal....  And it was for the required number of nights!  The rates run from between the inside cabin you spoke of and ocean view, so they have a choice.... 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_we-are-getting-our-wedding-and-reception-for-free?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:b9db5cd7-f3ec-41d8-9b3c-242c23e2fcb7Post:caa5a705-f914-4ddc-8d2b-219d4e8b28c6">Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, the $229-$300 seems like it would be per person, PER DAY. I could be wrong, but that seems more on par for prices of a typical carribean cruise.
    Posted by Barbiiieee[/QUOTE]

Actually the quote was $299-$399 for the entire 5 days.... not per day....  and yes it does range from the smaller inside cabin $299 pp to an ocean views at $399 pp... 

And what about those that want to do destination weddings - the guest are having to pay for transportation, hotels, rent a cars, meals, etc....  and this ulitmately can be a less expensive option for them... 
  • OK, so in review, everyone on here that has respondd, with the exception of one is a wedding planner!!  No real brides?  No wonder I am so under attack - its like a bunch of vulcher swooping down to protect thier prey.  Is not a planner a VENDOR offering services?  I thought this site did not permit VENDORS....   And to keep your customers, you fear allowing them to hear any option that may take a customer away....

For shame and how rude!! 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_we-are-getting-our-wedding-and-reception-for-free?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:b9db5cd7-f3ec-41d8-9b3c-242c23e2fcb7Post:fb124277-0297-4460-b86a-49b5579e01aa">Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free...</a>:
    [QUOTE]OK, so in review, everyone on here that has respondd, with the exception of one is a wedding planner!!  No real brides?  No wonder I am so under attack - its like a bunch of vulcher swooping down to protect thier prey.  Is not a planner a VENDOR offering services?  I thought this site did not permit VENDORS....   And to keep your customers, you fear allowing them to hear any option that may take a customer away.... For shame and how rude!! 

<div>I'm not a wedding planner (planning an April 6th wedding) and I agree this is an awful idea. If I had to go on a five day cruise just to see someone say "I do" I'd decline it sooooo fast. I don't have that kind of vacation time to go on someone else's vacation. Honestly, I had *you* pegged as a vendor. One post about how awesome his idea is? Very sketchy. It's trying to get guests to go to your vacation to pay for your wedding. Rude and an awful idea.</div>
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • CMGr - whatever you're selling - I'll take two, please : )

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_we-are-getting-our-wedding-and-reception-for-free?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:b9db5cd7-f3ec-41d8-9b3c-242c23e2fcb7Post:caa5a705-f914-4ddc-8d2b-219d4e8b28c6">Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, the $229-$300 seems like it would be per person, PER DAY. I could be wrong, but that seems more on par for prices of a typical carribean cruise.

You'd be surprised. Cruising is actually a very economical way to travel. Your cabin, meals, entertainment, use of the pools and hot tubs, and good service are included for anywhere between $79 to hundreds of dollars a day, depending on the type of cabin, destination and time that you choose. They hope to sail a full ship and make money off the extras that the passengers buy - drinks,specialty restaurants,  excursions, spa services, shops, photography, seminars and the dreaded art  auctions Some cruise lines are relentless in their promotions.

I love cruising, but if I'm going to spend my hard earned money on a cruise, it's going to be one that I choose, at a time that I choose. There's a close to zero chance that I would spend over a thousand dollars (cruise fare, port tax, sales tax and other charges, air fare) for my husband and I to attend someone else's wedding.

My objection to OP's plan is that she thinks her wedding is free. It isn't. The guests are paying are paying for it, through their cruise fares. She should either host and pay for a reception on board or pay their fares.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_we-are-getting-our-wedding-and-reception-for-free?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:b9db5cd7-f3ec-41d8-9b3c-242c23e2fcb7Post:fb124277-0297-4460-b86a-49b5579e01aa">Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free...</a>:
    [QUOTE]OK, so in review, everyone on here that has respondd, with the exception of one is a wedding planner!!  No real brides?  No wonder I am so under attack - its like a bunch of vulcher swooping down to protect thier prey.  Is not a planner a VENDOR offering services?  I thought this site did not permit VENDORS....   And to keep your customers, you fear allowing them to hear any option that may take a customer away.... For shame and how rude!! 

I am a real bride, and I don't think anybody here is a wedding planner.

Telling you we think your idea is a bad one, doesn't make us a vendor, or even rude.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_we-are-getting-our-wedding-and-reception-for-free?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:b9db5cd7-f3ec-41d8-9b3c-242c23e2fcb7Post:4f2fa8ea-fc13-4da9-bf09-c76a5d0a527d">Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free... : I am a real bride, and I don't think anybody here is a wedding planner. Telling you we think your idea is a bad one, doesn't make us a vendor, or even rude.

Barb, if you noticed I said with the exception of one.  I noticed you are a bride, but up until now besides you, if you check the profiles - everyone that had commented up until I posted my reply, they are ALL wedding Planners.....

So no you are not a vendor - but THEY are! 
  • daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_we-are-getting-our-wedding-and-reception-for-free?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:b9db5cd7-f3ec-41d8-9b3c-242c23e2fcb7Post:2f5b6e8b-c464-4684-9227-990867b111ee">Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free... : Barb, if you noticed I said with the exception of one.  I noticed you are a bride, but up until now besides you, if you check the profiles - everyone that had commented up until I posted my reply, they are ALL wedding Planners..... So no you are not a vendor - but THEY are! 

<div>Actually none of these people are vendors. CMGr was a MOB (yes there are posters on here that are MOH, BMs, MOB, etc rather than brides). I myself got married in June 2012 and still post here occasionally. </div><div>
    </div><div>The difference to me, between a DW and a cruise is that guests are forced to take the entire cruise time off/be on the cruise. If you get married in Bermuda, I can fly down for the week, for the weekend, just overnight, etc. I think it's a lot to dictate so much of your guests time. Plus it's rude to make them pay for your wedding. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_we-are-getting-our-wedding-and-reception-for-free?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:b9db5cd7-f3ec-41d8-9b3c-242c23e2fcb7Post:71a08d05-359c-412f-b9be-97f95e9cb8af">Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free... : I'm not a wedding planner (planning an April 6th wedding) and I agree this is an awful idea. If I had to go on a five day cruise just to see someone say "I do" I'd decline it sooooo fast. I don't have that kind of vacation time to go on someone else's vacation. Honestly, I had *you* pegged as a vendor. One post about how awesome his idea is? Very sketchy. It's trying to get guests to go to your vacation to pay for your wedding. Rude and an awful idea.
    Posted by jessicadall[/QUOTE]

Jessica, I have not asked anyone to pay for my wedding...  My guest are paying less than they wojuld having to stay in a hotel, in a more romantic setting - nobody is paying more for the cruise, just to pay for the wedding, they are actually paying less than the individual cruise guest.  Just because I have opted to maybe use Royal, and because of that they arte making an offer to provide some perks if I do - and NOT rasining but lowering cruise fares in order to have my friends and family come - I don't see how anyone can say - I am making my guest pay for my wedding and honeymoon - when we are paying for ours and the additionals.And as I stated before we are going to be having an expanded reception as well as paying for an excursion for everyone which in itself would be about $10,000 on us...and again, what is the differance in having guest pay for the hotels at a destination wedding?
  • I don't think anybody meant to personally attack you. I know I didn't, because I wouldn't attack someone I don't know via the internet. It also doesn't look like you came on here looking for advice. You saw an idea from a vendor and you decided to use it, right? That said, this is a public forum on the internet and people will respond how they like.

Personally, and I do not mean this to attack you, but it doesn't seem like you are thinking this through all of the way. You said you will be inviting well over 120 people to your wedding. Unless your family and friends are fairly more affluent than mine, you will have a large portion of your guest list decline.

For example: my FI and I are both students. If we were invited to your wedding that $299 for the trip would mean $600 for us both PLUS travel expenses to the port. Say your port is in Florida. We would have to fly to FL, possibly stay one night in FL, then get on the cruise for five days where we would miss probably seven days of school/work when we account for travel to and from port.

So that would be $600 for the cruise, and probably $500 for air travel (that would be if we got very cheap tickets) which is $1100 not counting alcohol or souvenirs or anything like that. Not to mention, we'd be out of work for a week, which would also cost us, not to mention the stress of missing a weeks worth of school. I'm in grad school, and in my program, it would probably mess up my whole semester. No offense, but a little excursion wouldn't make up for it. It would be a costly vacation for us, and for a vacation that costly, I know I would rather do it on my own terms. This is why I am not a fan of this idea, or DWs in general. The little stuff adds up.

Now, your family and friends could be different.... but I would check with your VIPS. Parents, grandparents, siblings... make sure they can afford it. If everyone you MUST have there says they can, go ahead, but do not get offended when your cousin you haven't seen in years declines. I would be very surprised if you ended up with 120 guests.

IMO, with the $10,000 you plan on using for an excursion you could throw a beautiful wedding in your hometown and make it WAY nicer and WAY more romantic than a cookie cutter cruise ship wedding. Yes, people would still have to travel and pay for hotels, but they would have the option of booking a $39.99 a night Motel 6 if they so choose.

I do think the cruise sounds nice and romantic, but I would save it for the honeymoon!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited January 2013
    lawwomnan - we are not a flock of wedding planners hanging out on the knot message boards. Everyone's bio page is labeled  like this:                                                        'Blank's
                                                          Wedding Planner'

When you look at your own it will say 'My Wedding Planner' with your name underneath.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_we-are-getting-our-wedding-and-reception-for-free?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:b9db5cd7-f3ec-41d8-9b3c-242c23e2fcb7Post:735a351b-ec12-4595-bcba-8b1c8d700e7f">Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free...</a>:
    [QUOTE]lawwomnan - we are not a flock of wedding planners hanging out on the knot message boards. Everyone's bio page is labeled like this: 'Blank's Wedding Planner' When you look at your own it will say 'My Wedding Planner' with your name underneath.
    Posted by MairePoppy[/QUOTE]

Thank you for saying this. I was so confused how she thought everyone was a wedding planner.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_we-are-getting-our-wedding-and-reception-for-free?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:b9db5cd7-f3ec-41d8-9b3c-242c23e2fcb7Post:fb124277-0297-4460-b86a-49b5579e01aa">Re: We are getting our wedding and reception for free...</a>:

Are you drunk?

• edited January 2013
    "Lawwoman, please get a book on wedding etiquette.  Check out the excellent works of Miss Manners (aka Judith Martin) or Amy Vanderbilt (but avoid Sharon Naylor)."

Nope. You don't need to know anything about wedding etiquette to know that this stinks. It's common sense.

You're profiting from your guests. That's so gross. And you're telling anyone who can't afford 5 days off that they can't go to your wedding. Even out of towners usually have some options. But you'll be telling your guests that you can't have your wedding unless they pay hundreds of dollars. And destination weddings are typically only very close friends and family. You don't invite 120 people to your Hawaiian wedding.

I have out of town guests coming to my wedding and first, my wedding is not contingent upon them coming/paying. Second, I'm giving them different options of where to stay. I'm not telling them that they HAVE to stay at a certain place for a certain amount of time, or don't come at all.

What if you can't get enough cabins, you then send out notices that the wedding is cancelled? Geeze, this is the worst post I've seen on the knot thus far. Awful. Imagine the invite wording.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards