Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

budget friendly alternatives to a traditional wedding cake?

HI all,
in shopping for wedding cakes i'm kind of having sticker shock!!

i understand the cost of some things but for some reasib I can't justify it for the cake!

aside from a candy buffet does anyone have any ideas for an alternative.

FI wants to do carvel ice cream cakes haha...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: budget friendly alternatives to a traditional wedding cake?

• edited December 2011
    Ice cream sundae bar? Wedding pies? Cheesecake?
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's what we are doing:

Having a very small wedding cake, maybe one tier that is edible (the one we keep), and a smaller one to cut. We are buying the most excellent sheet cakes from Costco that around here are $15.99 and feed 48. They have multiple flavors, with creamy middle layers (chocolate mousse, cheesecake, etc). This will be cut for our guests in the back room and served up as wedding cake. I got one for my Mom's 75th birthday, and they have a standard one decorated with all white icing, and roses. Once cut, it looks just like wedding cake

Good luck.
  • Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A lot of people doing cupcakes these days...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I hated the idea of cupcakes until I thought about doing a "decorate your own cupcake" bar.  We are just going to get multiple flavors and different toppings (sprinkles, cherries, whatever) and set up it all cute and colorful like a candy bar.

It will save on cake, cutting and plating fees and will be a nice distraction from the fact that my fiance and I will be avoiding dancing at all costs.  :)
  • edited December 2011
    Or what about cookies and bars?
  • edited December 2011
    Twinkies or Donuts (Krispy Kreme)
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." "Who doesn't LOVE candy?" Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Our caterer has a standard chocolate cake that is AMAZING.  It comes to them pre-cut, so it's not usable for show.  The cost comes to being about one-fourth of what wedding cakes go for in my area.  I'll be making our show cake using two fake layers and one real chocolate layer.  

I did a test a while back using straw cookies (see below) and it was super easy.  The orange frosting was completely covered by the cookies and shaved chocolate (symphony bar and a carrot peeler).  The top will have a monogram letter and small flowers.  Because this cake won't be eaten by guests, we don't have to worry too much about food safety so I'll be completing it a few days before the wedding.

TTC #1 5/97 - PCOS dx 6/10 - Metformin 8/10 - Moved from Endo to RE 9/10 - 50mg Clomid 9/10 - 100mg Clomid 10/18 - BFP - Beta #1 = 91 - Beta #2 = 958 EDD 6/28/11 Tater Tot arrived 6/21/11 on his Great Grandmother's 90th Birthday
  • danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We had cheesecakes.  I bought them at the Super Walmart bakery the day before the wedding and they were delicious.  They were 12 slice cheesecakes and I think I spent $120 for enough to feed 120 guests.  Pics in married bio.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jroseberjroseber member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ya we decided to have a cake for show and another sheet cake to be cut for the guests.  It saves lots of money!
  • dianna609dianna609 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are buying pies from an amish bakery and should run around $130 for 150 guests if we cut big pieces (6 per pie), less than that if we cut 8. My FI and I aren't fond of cake. I don't like it because my mom decorated cakes when I was growing up and the thought of buttercream frosting makes me ill. She still insists that we cut a small cake, though.

So, instead of dropping $600 on a 3-4 tier cake, think about pie. It isn't done often and people will like it. It's different. ;)
  • LabrnrLabrnr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    rice krispie cake

you can even make it, freeze it, cover it all in fondant yourself way in advance.
    The rice krispie hard would be easier to work with, making sure it's solid to cover in fondant.

or leave it bare.
     pic of mini mock up.

Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ejoyce8ejoyce8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are doing cupcakes and grooms pie :-) you can get cupcakes from your grocery store and no one will be the wiser.
    what about having your favorite dessert? if you like cookies you can do that or ice cream etc.

happy planning!!
    Anniversary bethandanthony.weebly.com
  • k4slr6k4slr6 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing sugar cookies.  We didn't want to spend $$ on cake and have the pressure of feeding eachother.  My sister-in-law and I are making them and freezing them and found cheap glass stands that were 50% off at Hobby Lobby to display them on.  We are doing 150 cookies.  Will let you know how it all turns out.  Getting married in August 2010. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My /Chart; BFP 3/8/11 CP 3/16/11; 7/11 HSG & S/A both clear;
    Cycle 12~ 50 mg Clomid=BFP 9/9/11, Beta #1=280 & Beta #2=1513, 6w3d hb=122 bpm/ 8w2d hb=186 bpm/12w2d could not hear hb had a 3rd u/s and got to see the hb. 16w2d heard the hb! 156 bpm. A/S 1/3=girl
    Anniversary;
  • edited December 2011
    I like the "fake cake" idea. My FI's aunt can make a cake for us that is just fondant - no actual cake. We will cut a small piece of real cake for the ceremony and then serve the guests sheet cake. FI's sister did this last year and it was a big hit!
  • edited December 2011
    cupcake teirs? a more plain cake, (don't say wedding, to the baker) buy a fabulous dessert and then top it with flowers or something, a freind did german chocalate cake from a local bakery and did red roses on the top delicious and beautiful and very cheap.
  • alewpandaalewpanda member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Brownie towers, colorful fruit displays on various heights of platters, ice cream bar, iced cookies in your wedding colors....
  • edited December 2011
    Buy separate different sized cakes round or square and stack them yourself.  You can pick up the parts at Micheals, Joanns of Hobby Lobby.  You can buy the cakes at Walmart, Costco or even Kroger. 
    image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • aecahillaecahill member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah why don't ya'll go ahead and get a small, two-tiered cake you can cut into for the reception, then go to Wal-Mart, Costco, or some other place and get some sheet cakes that can be sliced in the back?  No one will know, and Costco's cakes are the bomb!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards