Wedding Reception Forum
Options

reception necessary?

we are planning to have our wedding at a venue in Las Vegas NV we dont have much money and are on a really tight budget so i was wondering is it necessary to have a recption there?or can we have the reception when we get back home in NM?

Re: reception necessary?

• Options
    Anyone who witnesses your ceremony must be "recieved" by the freshly married couple in a reception.  That's where the word came from.

You don't have be to extravagant - cake and champagne in a hotel room is fine.  But, you must host some sort of food and beverage following the ceremony for those in attendance.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-necessary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:e31bb570-0809-4c1a-975a-7300ada60cbcPost:615c3eac-e90c-4be1-a100-67222f887397">Re: reception necessary?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to reception necessary? : You need to have a reception after your ceremony. Cake and punch/champagne is a perfectly acceptable reception. I'm going to be honest for a minute though. As a guest, I would be annoyed to travel to a DW and only be offered cake and punch.  You have to think of your guests and if they are traveling to Vegas, they are putting some money out there to witness your marriage. Feed them dinner or have a morning ceremony and offer brunch or lunch. I think it's time to be realistic about your budget.  If you can afford a trip to Vegas, you can more than likely host your wedding in NM with a nice reception.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

<strong>This a million times over.</strong>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-necessary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:e31bb570-0809-4c1a-975a-7300ada60cbcPost:4ed28100-8733-48fb-a01d-409af77f4d91">reception necessary?</a>:
    [QUOTE]we are planning to have our wedding at a venue in Las Vegas NV we dont have much money and are on a really tight budget so i was wondering is it necessary to have a recption there?or can we have the reception when we get back home in NM?
    Posted by lilypad09[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>There are so many places in Vegas to host guests pretty inexpensively.  Most of my guests are coming from NY and I couldn't ask them to come that far without offering them a full meal even though cake and punch is acceptable at certain times of day. However that is my personal feeling although I agree you really should host your guests in some way.</div><div>
    </div><div>M Resort offers a buffet starting at $15? including beer and wine, although its off the main strip.  Depending on your guest count you may even be able to reserve a private room. Cosmo buffet offers something similar in price excluding beverages. You can host lunch at a restaurant or in-suite. Your budget and number of guests will dictate your options but it can be done. </div><div>
    </div><div>There are so many affordable options- if you visit the Vegas board there is lots of info and advice there. The mod there has put together a very detailed website (VegasGroom.com) with info and reviews from past brides. </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    I also agree with the fact that if I went all the way to Vegas to see you married, I would be annoyed if the bride and groom didn't host a decent dinner.  Who goes all the way to Vegas for cake and punch?  If you can't host dinner for your guests attending your destination wedding, I don't think you can afford the destination wedding.
  • Options
    Ditto everyone else.  Receptions are absolutely mandatory to be held on the same day for the same people who witnessed your ceremony. No way around that. And if people are taking time off work and traveling to be there for you, their expectation of getting fed is going to increase.

Your options are:
    1. Have your wedding in Vegas with all the guests you want to invite, and make sure you give them all a decent meal (either brunch, lunch or dinner) afterwards.

2. If #1 is too expensive, invite less people to your DW in Vegas so you can afford to host them all; or

3. If #2 is still too expensive, elope with just the two of you in Vegas with no guests.

4. If you don't like #'s 1, 2, or 3, have your wedding in your home town with the appropriate number of people that you can afford to host and honeymoon in Vegas.
  • Options
    I think its a bit funny reading all these posts and everyone responds with what youre "suppose" to do, or "have" to do. Your wedding, do as you please. I would assume this is a small ceremony with close family friends? If so i would just have the ceremony and all hang out in vegas after if thats your style and u dont want to reserve a space and spend all that money and just do a seperate small one when u get home. Your day, do it up how you want.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards