Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

How much money did you receive as gifts?

2»

Re: How much money did you receive as gifts?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_how-much-money-did-you-receive-as-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:e0fd5dd1-2ffb-4fe9-920b-01681fa02e7cPost:53833eb8-0884-40ab-b51f-442d67ea32eb">Re: How much money did you receive as gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]basically i hate these forms because of this reason.... you dont like somehting dont feel the need to tell them why they are rude, U guys can be total mean girls like really you see somehting you wouldnt awnser THEN DONT ripping people apart is RUDE and mean and horrible. and dont give me any of this we were just trying to help her crap cuz you werent you ripped her apart for even HAVING a wedding AND GOING TO COLLEGE!!! are you serious its called  loans you dont pay till you graduate!!!  MEAN and shame on u guys
    Posted by boomboom1243[/QUOTE]

<div>Cleary, your random, capitalized words make me take your post MUCH more seriously. Brava. </div><div>We are telling it like it is. That's the wonderful thing about the interwebs. </div><div>It's called loans for college.. Alright. You can also take out loans for weddings. If she feels the need to go into debt because college is important to her (or you, or anyone), that's understandable I suppose. </div><div>If she desperately wants a honeymoon, she can do that same. But she can't expect her family/friends to foot the bill.</div><div>I get asking out of curiousity... but it's clearly more than that in the case. </div><div>And No. I have no sympathy/empathy for poor college students getting married. IMO people should wait until they are financially stable, and OP makes it sound like that is not the case in her situation, considering they can't even afford a plane ticket. BUt that is neither here no there. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • EK2013EK2013 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_how-much-money-did-you-receive-as-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:e0fd5dd1-2ffb-4fe9-920b-01681fa02e7cPost:c6f3a83f-2922-447f-af40-1dfbaa153632">Re: How much money did you receive as gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much money did you receive as gifts? : Wow, good for them. If they're in the NYC area, that doesn't surprise me at all. What does surprise me is that they shared that info with you. Only DH and I know how much we received in gifts. No one has asked & we wouldn't tell anyway. 
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

<div>I know! I didn't ask, and <em>really, really </em>didn't want to know. I think I happened to be one of the first people the couple saw after totalling the gifts, and they were a bit shocked and not thinking too clearly.</div>
  • Sorry you got chewed on for asking a question.  Everyone has the right not to answer or to answer.  Good luck and don't feel bad...you have allot of catty people on her.
  • It's not about being sensitive - its the principal.  If it was thought iof such an inappropriate question then maybe ones should not have not responded.  Perhaps your the one being SENSITIVE....If was just a question!!!!!! 
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_how-much-money-did-you-receive-as-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:e0fd5dd1-2ffb-4fe9-920b-01681fa02e7cPost:53833eb8-0884-40ab-b51f-442d67ea32eb">Re: How much money did you receive as gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]basically i hate these forms because of this reason.... you dont like somehting dont feel the need to tell them why they are rude, U guys can be total mean girls like really you see somehting you wouldnt awnser THEN DONT ripping people apart is RUDE and mean and horrible. and dont give me any of this we were just trying to help her crap cuz you werent you ripped her apart for even HAVING a wedding AND GOING TO COLLEGE!!! are you serious its called  loans you dont pay till you graduate!!!  MEAN and shame on u guys

First and foremost, spell check is your friend.

Second, If you are expecting a rainbows and sunshine type of response, you are on the wrong board.

Third, I believe PPs are trying to help the OP look at the bigger picture. It doesn't matter how much I was gifted because no two situations are the same. They were also pointing out things (like how to budget) to be helpful sicne she is a "dumb, poor college student." Her words, not mine.

OP, have you factored into your budget misc. expenses? ie, if it rains, do you have the funds to buy umbrellas?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Such a sense of entitlement in some of the posts...that is what I find amazing.  "I know someone who made 15K for a 120 person wedding".  MADE???  Was this a fundraiser?

Ladies...wedding gifts are just that...gifts.  Be happy and thankful and gracious for each one you receive, but please don't calculate, expect, depend upon them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_how-much-money-did-you-receive-as-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:e0fd5dd1-2ffb-4fe9-920b-01681fa02e7cPost:c5d60ddc-8f4f-4e55-8414-e2e1d86d0005">Re: How much money did you receive as gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Holy cow. I knew asking financial questions was a little dicey in terms of ettiquette, but I had no idea I'd be raked over the coals for this. I'm paying for college through an account (forget what it's called) that I can't touch except to pay for tuition. We took another hard look at the budget last night and there is enough to get us there and back, but only just. We haven't actually planned anything for the honeymoon. No reservations, nada. So we're not counting on taking a honeymoon after the wedding, if we ever get to take a honeymoon. How did we not budget in transport costs in the first place? We're dumb college students, apparently. This is the first and last time I'll ever post here. I thought this board existed partially for already-married Knotties to help other brides. Apparently it's just to make them feel really terrible about themselves.
    Posted by PeanutThomas[/QUOTE]

I totally understand your question and not going to try to make you feel bad about the question as all you did was ask a honest question.  No one has to be mean.  Well my honest answer is, without the cost of the dress, and all other things, we paid 88 a person and it was a very elaborate wedding, we invited 146 guest and paid about 13,000 and got back from the wedding of the guest that attended a little over 10,000 some gave hardly nothing some more.  We did get cash gifts of about another 2,000 from those that were not able to attend but sent in gifts.  I think you will probably recover what the reception cost, but not more than that, not including dj or band, videographer etc.  Hope this helps
  • EK2013EK2013 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_how-much-money-did-you-receive-as-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:e0fd5dd1-2ffb-4fe9-920b-01681fa02e7cPost:ba51cc0b-6358-4c80-9f5c-3f2ce97052d2">Re: How much money did you receive as gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Such a sense of entitlement in some of the posts...that is what I find amazing.  "I know someone who made 15K for a 120 person wedding".  MADE???  Was this a fundraiser? Ladies...wedding gifts are just that...gifts.  Be happy and thankful and gracious for each one you receive, but please don't calculate, expect, depend upon them.
    Posted by lostmykeys[/QUOTE]

<div>lostmykeys, thanks for calling me out, but I said this earlier in the thread:</div><div>"It's because some brides are gifted a couple hundred dollars and some are gifted tens of thousands of dollars and, at the end of the day, those gifts come from <em>people </em>whose feelings will be hurt if you indicate that you wanted or expected more."</div><div>
    </div><div>So, clearly I need to be put in my place? </div>
  • rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_how-much-money-did-you-receive-as-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:e0fd5dd1-2ffb-4fe9-920b-01681fa02e7cPost:1e40c546-f9ce-4828-9d07-8c1c6f280330">Re: How much money did you receive as gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much money did you receive as gifts? : I totally understand your question and not going to try to make you feel bad about the question as all you did was ask a honest question.  No one has to be mean.  Well my honest answer is, without the cost of the dress, and all other things, we paid 88 a person and it was a very elaborate wedding, we invited 146 guest and paid about 13,000 and got back from the wedding of the guest that attended a little over 10,000 some gave hardly nothing some more.  We did get cash gifts of about another 2,000 from those that were not able to attend but sent in gifts. <strong> I think you will probably recover what the reception cost,</strong> but not more than that, not including dj or band, videographer etc.  Hope this helps
    Posted by Gails1962[/QUOTE]
    Just because you did, does NOT mean that someone else will. I don't live too far away from you & I didn't 'recover' my reception cost. More importantly, your guests aren't the OPs guests, so you can't use your experience to say anything about what her experience will be. 
  • Why do people feel the need to be so mean on here?! I'm new to all of this myself and when I first saw these forums I thought it was so wonderful to be able to get advice and opionions from people going through the same things. No one has any right to judge someone else. If you think the question was rude than ignore it and move on. What difference does it make in your life?? Maybe you don't have a life to start with? If you dont have something nice to say dont say anything at all please. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_how-much-money-did-you-receive-as-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:e0fd5dd1-2ffb-4fe9-920b-01681fa02e7cPost:4cf3fff3-e402-485b-9e80-9a4efdb2b20d">Re: How much money did you receive as gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why do people feel the need to be so mean on here?! I'm new to all of this myself and when I first saw these forums I thought it was so wonderful to be able to get advice and opionions from people going through the same things. No one has any right to judge someone else. If you think the question was rude than ignore it and move on. What difference does it make in your life?? <u>Maybe you don't have a life to start with?</u> If you dont have something nice to say dont say anything at all please. 
    Posted by Tiffybues[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you. It's not a very welcoming board. As for the question I underlined, when you take a look at the number of posts they have, you got your answer.

It's really sad. Some girls are just too hormonal + bridezillas.

OP: I don't think you'll read this as you said you would leave the board, but it as it's been said before, it all depends. Do you have a registry? If not, people might give you more money than gifts. Most people I know (but hey - I'm Canadian) give at least $100 (that is when they aren't close with the couple) when they attend a wedding.
    Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_how-much-money-did-you-receive-as-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:e0fd5dd1-2ffb-4fe9-920b-01681fa02e7cPost:781f07da-9126-45ff-9419-440733d70d0b">Re: How much money did you receive as gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know someone who made over $15k for a 120 person wedding. I won't. It doesn't do me any good to know that that person made $15k, know what I mean?
    Posted by EK2013[/QUOTE]

That's pretty typical in the NYC area. However when you look at the average cost of a wedding here that's less than half of what they spent. So it's a financial loss ( not that weddings are thrown to make money) just pointing it out. We got a good chunk of change and it was about 40% of our total cost.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_how-much-money-did-you-receive-as-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:e0fd5dd1-2ffb-4fe9-920b-01681fa02e7cPost:4cf3fff3-e402-485b-9e80-9a4efdb2b20d">Re: How much money did you receive as gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why do people feel the need to be so mean on here?! I'm new to all of this myself and when I first saw these forums I thought it was so wonderful to be able to get advice and opionions from people going through the same things. No one has any right to judge someone else. If you think the question was rude than ignore it and move on. What difference does it make in your life?? Maybe you don't have a life to start with? If you dont have something nice to say dont say anything at all please. 
    Posted by Tiffybues[/QUOTE]

You sound like a cry baby. And for what it's worth you have no right to tell people how they should post on a public forum.

Also, I would not consider 15k to be unusual. (not that it matters, but we spent a lot more than that on our wedding. So we didn't "re-coup" very much)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 186 guests invited-about 20 no shows (who had rsvp'd yes)....the guests who didn't show or declined the wedding via RSVP have yet to send any type of gift. We received about 3,000 in cash, checks, or gift cards....received a handful of gifts from our registries (stuff we actually needed) and spent around 13,000 on the wedding itself. Relatives were the most generous, while most of our friends didn't give a gift or even a card, or just didn't bother to show...good luck!
    Sorry you are getting so much sh*t from asking a question....as they say, no question is a dumb question....sometimes its more on how you ask it :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_how-much-money-did-you-receive-as-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:e0fd5dd1-2ffb-4fe9-920b-01681fa02e7cPost:53833eb8-0884-40ab-b51f-442d67ea32eb">Re: How much money did you receive as gifts?</a>:

Please learn to use spell check.

Boomboom, you can't tell people how to post on forums.  That is the beauty of the internets.  If people feel the need to point out to OP that her question is rude, it's within their right. 

Also,  honest =/= rude.  People on TK are very honest and blunt.  If that hurts your feelings, then perhaps you should wander towards the wedding bee.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_how-much-money-did-you-receive-as-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:e0fd5dd1-2ffb-4fe9-920b-01681fa02e7cPost:c5d60ddc-8f4f-4e55-8414-e2e1d86d0005">Re: How much money did you receive as gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Holy cow. I knew asking financial questions was a little dicey in terms of ettiquette, but I had no idea I'd be raked over the coals for this. I'm paying for college through an account (forget what it's called) that I can't touch except to pay for tuition. We took another hard look at the budget last night and there is enough to get us there and back, but only just. We haven't actually planned anything for the honeymoon. No reservations, nada. So we're not counting on taking a honeymoon after the wedding, if we ever get to take a honeymoon. How did we not budget in transport costs in the first place? We're dumb college students, apparently. This is the first and last time I'll ever post here. I thought this board existed partially for already-married Knotties to help other brides. Apparently it's just to make them feel really terrible about themselves.
    Posted by PeanutThomas[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to offer a word of support since I also can't believe how mean people were to you in their responses.  In my opinion these boards exist for this reason - to ask questions anonymously that you maybe don't want to pose to your friends and family.  Whether or not people answer them in THEIR choice and anyone acting offended that you asked in the first place is stupid - just go to a different board if you don't like this one! 

I agree with what others are saying in terms of not counting on any money from the wedding to fund a honeymoon....but it sounds like you got that message loud and clear already.  Best of luck.
  • I don't think she is being rude, and I give her credit for trying to figure out all the expenses associated with a wedding. She may want to think about how to rephrase her question better; i.e., How much money can I expect in gifts? But she should not be ripped up for asking. I do agree that a young bride still in college needs to set budget limits and priorities. I like the idea of postponing the honeymoon and doing some less expensive day trips instead. For other brides, would you rather have a honeymoon than an expensive set of rings? Would you be happy with a $300 engagement ring or no ring right now? Also, there is no law that says the wedding band must cost over $500. Can you use a ring that has been in your family? I used a ring from my mother. Do you mind if the groom does not buy a ring or can he use a family heirloom? Nowadays, you can save up to $2,000 by rethinking the rings. That's enough for a small honeymoon, driving to a nearby city. To show you the wedding cost/wedding gift difference, my wedding expenses totaled less than $1000 and I received about $500 in cash gifts. A relative and her husband spent over $20,000 on the engagement and wedding rings alone and $40,000 on the wedding. They received about $20,000 in cash. gifts. We both had fun weddings. The rule of thumb is don't buy anything with the idea that you will be able to pay for it with your wedding money. Think of anything you get as a windfall.
  • I hate posting normal questions let alone tricky ones because some brides are just rude.  My fiance and I are paying for our own wedding, he works his tail off but has lots of bills (all of which are above board, no debt) I am a single mom of two girls who was laid off from a 10yr management position...I took the first job I could find in 3 years...McDonalds....I clicked on this post because I too was interested in seeing some answers to it.  My dad knew we couldnt afford a real honeymoon so he gave us some money to at least pay for hotel stays along the way home so that we can enjoy some quiet time.  I am so thankful for my parents who completely understand my dilema and helped me out....we may be eating off the dollar menu the whole way home but for heavens sake I will get to spend some great time with the man I have been in love with for 19 years.  Good Luck OP, I hope that you end up getting at least a small honeymoon regardless of the money you recieve at the wedding. 

Cynthia Finch
  • Ali092011Ali092011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_how-much-money-did-you-receive-as-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:e0fd5dd1-2ffb-4fe9-920b-01681fa02e7cPost:76e1a254-ed2a-4502-b57c-fb7dbc17f32c">Re: How much money did you receive as gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate posting normal questions let alone tricky ones because some brides are just rude.  My fiance and I are paying for our own wedding, he works his tail off but has lots of bills (all of which are above board, no debt) I am a single mom of two girls who was laid off from a 10yr management position...I took the first job I could find in 3 years...McDonalds....I clicked on this post because I too was interested in seeing some answers to it.  My dad knew <strong>we couldnt afford a real honeymoon</strong> so he gave us some money to at least pay for hotel stays along the way home so that we can enjoy some quiet time.  I am so thankful for my parents who completely understand my dilema and helped me out....we may be eating off the dollar menu the whole way home but for heavens sake I will get to spend some great time with the man I have been in love with for 19 years.  Good Luck OP, <strong>I hope that you end up getting at least a small honeymoon</strong> regardless of the money you recieve at the wedding. 
    Posted by cyndilouwho77[/QUOTE]

The whole concept of not being able to afford something, but going out and doing it anyway, is what bothers people on this board. <em>Everyone</em> has had financial problems. <em>Everyone</em> has suffered layoffs or job losses, or at least knows what it's like to need to budget. And we <em>all </em>want things we can't have. No one is going to say your situation isn't difficult, but if you want things to be a certain way, work towards making them that way. If you're going to regret not doing more than staying in inexpensive hotels and eating fast food, save enough money to do what you want. Some people have very short, very inexpensive honeymoons and are completely and utterly happy with that. I know a couple that had a "staycation" honeymoon where they just cozied up at home for several days and enjoyed being newlyweds. I feel like you feel bad about your situation and are making it sound so awful. It is a "real honeymoon" if that's the honeymoon you have.

A honeymoon isn't something you "get." It isn't something you're entitled to, either. Just like you should have the wedding you can afford, nothing more, nothing less, the same goes for honeymoons.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • owengirl996owengirl996 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012

Like others have said, it's going to vary on so many accounts.

Our wedding was in Indiana, and there, it's custom to bring a physical gift to the wedding. Here in Mass, I hear it is custom to bring money. However, we were very surprised as we had very few physical gifts, and lots of cash, checks, and gift cards. Since we traveled for the wedding, a lot of people thought money/gift cards would be much easier for us to get back home with...and we really appreciated that thought because we already had a car full coming home yesterday! We still have a second reception out here next month, and while I'm not "expecting" more gifts, I know we will get some as our friends/family are extremely generous (and cards are still coming in the mail!)

We had gifts of anywhere between $25-$1,000. It's impossible to figure an average for any wedding as guests will vary. We even had a couple of people give no gifts, but honestly, I'm just glad they could be there to share our day. Most of those gave a shower gift, though. When we planned our wedding, we were not planning it counting on any money or gifts. If you go into it with low/no expectations, any gifts will seem even more generous. My mom wrote down all of the gifts/money we were given as we opened packages and cards, and was often stunned at how generous people were!

ETA: We are not taking a full honeymoon until at least next year, even though our gifts could pay for one. We did take a "mini moon" for a couple of nights in Indianapolis, and spent the rest of our time with my family that lives there (parents, mostly). While a honeymoon would have been nice following the wedding, I love the idea of doing it later. It gives me something to occupy my time, now that wedding planning is over :)

imageAnniversary
  • OMG - YOU LADIES ARE A TRIP... 
    PEANUT YOUR QUESTION WAS VAILD... I got married 12 years ago - 350 people and we got about 25K in cash and 5K in physical gifts... My first husband died... I'm getting remarried next month and we've already got 3 gifts = 475 total... the guest list is 80 adults so if we clear 7k that will be good... 

I'm quite sure that your family will give your cash or checks so dont stress.... :)

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_how-much-money-did-you-receive-as-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:e0fd5dd1-2ffb-4fe9-920b-01681fa02e7cPost:fb23e946-dc51-44dc-a353-be8c6d7a9800">Re: How much money did you receive as gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]OMG - YOU LADIES ARE A TRIP...  PEANUT YOUR QUESTION WAS VAILD... I got married 12 years ago - 350 people and we got about 25K in cash and 5K in physical gifts... My first husband died... I'm getting remarried next month and we've already got 3 gifts = 475 total... the guest list is 80 adults so if we clear 7k that will be good...<strong>  I'm quite sure that your family will give your cash or checks so dont stress.... :)
    </strong>Posted by aishaameena[/QUOTE]

How are you sure? do you know her family's financial situation? what if she gets gift off her registry and no cash? THen she wont have money to fly home from her wedding and no money for her HM, like she is planning.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You should receive NO cash as wedding gift.  See below.
    And if someone does give you cash, you are to buy some physical item for your home, and send a TY that clearly says what you bought with the cash.

Wedding gifts are supposed to be wonderful and heartfelt and long-lasting, mirroring the giver's fervent hope that the couple's marriage be wonderful and heartfelt and long-lasting.

By inviting these people to your wedding, you've asked your friends and family to be witnesses to your wedding ceremony, and as witnesses, those people are mentors for your marriage. Their gifts represent their acceptance of your request for their mentorship, and their gifts represent their presence in your lives and hearts forever.

When you see/use these gifts, you are reminded that you have a circle of people around you as a couple, people who you can call on, people who have pledged their support of you two as a couple.

The following ideas do not match with what a wedding gift is supposed to represent, and in fact, just demand that people give you money instead of a wedding gift:  a downpayment registry, a honeymoon registry, a “donation” to your fav charity, a money dance, a money tree, a greenback wedding or shower (where the guests bring cash), a plastic wedding or shower (where the guests bring gift cards), or an outright request for cash.

• I will not tell you how much money we received, but I will tell you it was not enough to finance our honeymoon (8 days in Aruba).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards