Snarky Brides

Food truck debate

Lastnight Adam and I got into a "debate" (not really an arguement, but we didnt agree with eachother at all) about food trucks. At the event we went to all the food trucks had a limited menu (usually 4 or 5 items) and the prices varied. Generally speaking a large sandwich was 8$, 2 fish tacos is $8, smaller items (like 3 raviolis) was $5, and some places had some things for more than $10.

What is more important to you if you were going out to eat at a food truck - the quality of food compared to the price you are paying, or the quantity of food compared to the price you are paying?

I accused adam of being one of those "super sized" people, where you need to get a huge ass pop, a huge ass fry and a burger to feel like you are getting a value, while I am more interested in trying something new and interesting that packs a lot of flavour and it doesnt matter how much I get for that price.

Re: Food truck debate

• Food trucks are a novelty, and a huge convenience for the person buying the food usually. That's what you're paying for, so I think it's fair the prices are higher. I mean, it's not like you're going to try and budget to eat every meal from the same food truck ;)  (unless it's one that sells deep friend cheese curds, then I might be tempted.)

If we're talking restaurant in general, it depends. Most of the time, I'd rather have a big variety. But there are times we go somewhere specific and I'm willing to pay more to try something new. I think food trucks always fall in the 'try something new and pay for it' category. 

So, basically- I'm on your side ;)
  • I'd want good food rather than more food.

If you would have asked me this question in college after getting high, then I would have said more food. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-truck-debate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c82520ba-6905-4bc0-9ba4-489436eff1fePost:4599620d-7fda-41b3-b845-414ccec70a23">Re: Food truck debate</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd want good food rather than more food.<strong> If you would have asked me this question in college after getting high, then I would have said more food. </strong>
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]
    lol this made me laugh.
  • NebbNebb member
    I do agree steph, its a novelty. Its something new and the menus are so different from things you normally find in fast food restaurants or quick places you jot into over your lunch or something.

Seriously, those two little fish tacos I had, I cant get out of my head. They were small, but so delicious - the slaw under the fish was absolute divine and the fish was so light and crunchy. I want more but they are toronto based :(
  • By the way, I'm now seriously debating leaving my house to go get deep fried cheese curds.  We have some cheese curds in our fridge, but it's just not the same.

There is a Culver's really closeby though... nom
  • I wish we had food trucks here or anything really. We have the basics like McDonalds and Wendys but nothing good. We don't even have a Chinese food restaurant. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • LP11509LP11509 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    I'd go for quality.  Unless it's bread.  I have a serious carb problem.  I've been known to eat an obscene amount of bread at restaurants if they provide it, then be full after 3 bites of my meal because of it.  Oops. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-truck-debate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c82520ba-6905-4bc0-9ba4-489436eff1fePost:e448beb8-67e8-40c6-844a-3324b3a74228">Food truck debate</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lastnight Adam and I got into a "debate" (not really an arguement, but we didnt agree with eachother at all) about food trucks. At the event we went to all the food trucks had a limited menu (usually 4 or 5 items) and the prices varied. Generally speaking a large sandwich was 8$, 2 fish tacos is $8, smaller items (like 3 raviolis) was $5, and some places had some things for more than $10. What is more important to you if you were going out to eat at a food truck - <strong>the quality of food compared to the price you are paying</strong>, or the quantity of food compared to the price you are paying? I accused adam of being one of those "super sized" people, where you need to get a huge ass pop, a huge ass fry and a burger to feel like you are getting a value, while I am more interested in trying something new and interesting that packs a lot of flavour and it doesnt matter how much I get for that price.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

It's always this, but to a lot of Americans it's the latter (sp?) and that's why this nation is obese.
  • We don't have food trucks here in MS. :( We don't even have side walks so.....
  • I definitely prefer quality over quantity. However, I do generally avoid the more expensive food trucks that park near my work. If I heard they had awesome food I'd reconsider but most of them have had meh reviews. The only expensive one with good reviews is the grilled cheese truck and I avoid that for the good of my waistline. 

The truck I love - Souper Freaks - is a really great value. Their soup is reasonable and they often have deals for a soup, salad, drink and dessert for $10. Their soups are so delicious I'd keep going even if they were more expensive. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • NebbNebb member
    Celtic, tell me more about these food trucks please! I love hearing about what's out there. I agree ricks that's a big problem. Noone knows a portion anymore so what appears small may just be normal.
  • Here's the article I found a lot of the initial info in:

We have a food truck gathering monthly here but the lines are ridiculously long. The first one wasn't too bad but word it out and I am not willing to wait an hour in line. We went to one recently to benefit the SPCA and just ended up giving a donation and leaving. 

I have to help FH with something but I can come back later and tell you more about the ones I have tried. 
  • NebbNebb member
    I cant wait to hear it! I find with events like that, its best to go as early as humanly possible lol
  • Minneapolis and St Paul have some now! :)  I'm considering going downtown for lunch once in awhile to try some out.  

You can see all of ours here:

• NebbNebb member
    Holyshite lady, im jealous. We really have so few here and theyre meeting so much opposition with local restaurants and city legislation its ridiculous. The one in my city is meeting with the city tomorrow night to try and work on getting more freedom serving. Theres a show called Eat St. - my local food truck is going to be on this week and they filmed in town, just to film for 2 hours they had to jump through hoops with the city just to allow them to do it.
  • now I really want food truck food.  One of them is from bar/restaurant downtown- Barrio. They have the best effing tacos and quac ever.
  • I would want a happy medium. I don't want to have a large amount of food that is just mediocre, but I also don't want to pay 10 for one small item even if it's really good. With that being said, I also think that a consumer should go into a food truck expecting to pay more, just like at a fair or concert.
    imageVacation
  • celticmysscelticmyss member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2012
    CN: Baltimore has food trucks and I like to write novels.

The original local food truck is a burger truck but I try not to patronize any business owned by that guy. He has seems to enjoy harassing his female employees. 

So the soup truck is my favorite as I mentioned before. I think it's like $5 for a cup and $7 for a bowl. They make a phenomenal curried lentil soup and  bunch of other yummy things. Their borscht was incredibly disappointing but I think that is because it wasn't at all like I make mine. It was sweet rather than vinegary. 

The Cazbar on the Go truck is awesome but doesn't come by my work. They do Turkish food and the main restaurant is great. I think they were doing like doner tacos and stuff like that. They expanded their menu but I haven't gotten to try it. 

The Gypsy Queen is run by people who used to own an awesome restaurant. Most of their things that look good are more fattening than I care to try though. Someday I'll budget calories so that I can have their waffle cone stuffed with mac and cheese and bacon. 

Our cupcake truck was disappointing. The icing was too sugary sweet and crunchy. 

The Miss Shirley's truck I have avoided because of price. They have a turkey, brie and apple sandwich I want to try but at $10 I haven't gone to try it yet. They're also supposed to have awesome chicken and waffles. 

There's a hot dog cart I really want to try but it doesn't come to my work either. 

If I have jury duty Tuesday I plan on hitting up one of the downtown trucks. 
  • NebbNebb member
    Holy eff a waffle cone stuffed with mac and cheese? Kill me now. WANT!
  • Well obviously I have to get one now so that I can report back to you. I can take one for the team. 
  • I'd go for quality. I'd much rather have a smaller portion of something fabulous than a huge pile of shite.

When I lived in the city I could practically live off of food trucks, but it's been years since I've seen one living now in such a rural area. The plus side is that I'm surrounded by farms and just about everyone has a fruit / veggiie stand.
    imageimage
  • I'm in NYC, so there are food trucks all over the place (in certain parts of the city).  If I'm starving and looking for a big meal, quantity wins.  If I'm being adventureous or in the mood for something new and interesting, quality wins.  Some trucks are known for their serving sizes, others for quality.  And now I want ginger ice cream (from my favorite truck).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards