Options

qotd 9.4.11

2»

Re: qotd 9.4.11

• Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FTL, when you know when youbguys can take the trip, sign up for TravelZoo emails. We are broke right now, or I would have booked one of their awesome deals already! Like $500 per person, 5 days top quality AI with flights included!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-9411?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:81b3bc07-3c8a-49c5-8baa-6cfb8014cd40Post:1875001c-3686-42e0-b5c7-6de75a92dd72">Re: qotd 9.4.11</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: qotd 9.4.11 : This was our HM itinerary too but with Milan included as well. H and I have both said Florence is our favorite too with Venice being real close up there. I had one of the best steaks in Florence! I miss it! 
    Posted by kara811[/QUOTE]

Rome was great to see, but it was just too "tourist-y" to be one of my favorites.  We also took a couple day trips throughout Tuscany (which I expected to be my favorite), but there's just something about Florence!  The weather was perfect, it wasn't too tourist-y, and it was just so romantic to walk around with no agenda and just experience the little hole-in-the-wall restaurants and gelato shops.  Plus we took a cooking class there and had SO much fun!  :) 
  • Options
    KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-9411?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:81b3bc07-3c8a-49c5-8baa-6cfb8014cd40Post:c5ba94f5-8195-420c-b927-fe2067c470e9">Re: qotd 9.4.11</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Kendall- No I don't know anything about Portland.. Honestly (sorry) I don't like the place. Not a fan at all</strong>. But I did enjoy that BBQ when we stopped through on our way to California. AMAZING Chili. Stan- I miss Germany TERRIBLY. I love Hamburg. Ugh I want an all-inclusive deal sooo badly. That's what Fi and I want to do whenever we get our "honeymoon" (put in quotes bc by the time we take it, we won't be newlyweds so it'll just be a vaca hah)
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]
    Portland has been getting worse and worse. To be honest moving out of portland has been the best thing for me
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kendal- yeah idk.. People call OR the brother of WA and say Portland is a mini Seattle.. but I love Seattle so.. I have no reason to want to go to the mini version? Lol.. It's not the worst place I've been or anything... I just know people that LOVE IT SO EFFING MUCH LKASJRLASKJ EA:L and I just don't get it.. lol

Thanks Calindi I will look into it and sign up.. we have a while.. We're hoping we can go before Fi deploys next because we have to move pretty much the MOMENT he gets back from it. Hopefully we'll make it happen. and Man those are some good deals.. Maybe we can go before AND after :P tehehe 

Young I absolutely want to hear all about the trip when you get back! I don't think we'll do Mexico, but was thinking the Caribbean! Especially about the company that you are using.. Looking forward to the review! :)
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    We're actually talking about taking a camping trip to Oregon at some point.  We're obsessed with microbreweries, and Oregon has some of the best in the world.  We figured we'd pack up our tent and camping gear, rent a car, and just drive from campsite to campsite, stopping at tons of breweries, and maybe a night or two at a hotel dispersed in between so we can get a hot shower!  And then spend 3-4 days in a row camping & hiking.  Man, I miss the great outdoors!

TeamBaby, I've never been to Italy, but it's definitely once place I want to go really badly!  When we do, your cooking class sounds right up my alley, as well as the wandering around and finding hole-in-the-wall places, so I'll be hitting you up for recommendaitons!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ummm Calindi that sounds amazing.
    I love the PNW for all the breweries and wineries... Washington alone has 142 breweries.. goodness we like to booze it! :P
    What you mentioned would be fi's and my heaven.. We are all about the booze tours and the camping! I have heard good things about the OR breweries... maybe we need to give the place a second chance and just do that! :P
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-9411?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:81b3bc07-3c8a-49c5-8baa-6cfb8014cd40Post:688d31ac-29e5-4f9d-b349-2401a5846858">Re: qotd 9.4.11</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're actually talking about taking a camping trip to Oregon at some point.  We're obsessed with microbreweries, and Oregon has some of the best in the world.  We figured we'd pack up our tent and camping gear, rent a car, and just drive from campsite to campsite, stopping at tons of breweries, and maybe a night or two at a hotel dispersed in between so we can get a hot shower!  And then spend 3-4 days in a row camping & hiking.  Man, I miss the great outdoors! TeamBaby, I've never been to Italy, but it's definitely once place I want to go really badly!  When we do, your cooking class sounds right up my alley, as well as the wandering around and finding hole-in-the-wall places, so I'll be hitting you up for recommendaitons!
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Do you know where you are going to go yet? 

</div>
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    This is still very much a hypothetical trip, so there's no specifics.  This would probably be right before he starts TBS or something, so 6 months or so after we get married for a week.   We love Rogue & Full Sail, so those would definitely be on the list.  Then I'd probably do some research on other microbreweries that are well regarded, talk to some beer expert friends, and base our trip around where we wanted to go drinking!

FTL - we will HAVE to check out Washington, then!  We're planning on doing our honeymoon in Napa/Sonoma, but have talked about maybe moving it to Washington to do breweries instead.  We were afraid we couldn't get the cute little B&Bs with lots of ambiance and fantastic foodie restaurants (Michelin-star quality, if not actually ranked) like you can in Napa, but it might not have the outrageous price tag. And we do kinda love beer a bit more than wine. If you have any suggestions, I have a feeling FI would jump all over that idea instead!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh man Napa is crazy pricey.. I mean.. It's a great trip to do just to say you did it, and great wine of course! but... idk each winery you go to charges 20-40 bucks for the tasting. That's nuts. In Washington all tastings are free-10. haha.

We bought this brewery  tour of Seattle for 40 bucks (20 each it included a tshirt and cool pint glasses) and ended up hammered (It was a three hour tour covering 5 breweries). LOL. At like.. noon. />_< Their "samples" were 5 half pints at each brewery. Too much for no-breakfast me! Definitely carboload if you ever make it to Napa or the NW for booze tours :o)

I REALLY want to go to the Deschutes brewery in OR I will say.. That's great beer. I'm added that to your list of to-dos :P
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-9411?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:81b3bc07-3c8a-49c5-8baa-6cfb8014cd40Post:97873798-e26c-4872-9195-0eff1aa0424b">Re: qotd 9.4.11</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh man Napa is crazy pricey.. I mean.. It's a great trip to do just to say you did it, and great wine of course! but... idk each winery you go to charges 20-40 bucks for the tasting. That's nuts. In Washington all tastings are free-10. haha. We bought this brewery  tour of Seattle for 40 bucks (20 each it included a tshirt and cool pint glasses) and ended up hammered (It was a three hour tour covering 5 breweries). LOL. At like.. noon. />_< Their "samples" were 5 half pints at each brewery. Too much for no-breakfast me! Definitely carboload if you ever make it to Napa or the NW for booze tours :o) I REALLY want to go to the Deschutes brewery in OR I will say.. That's great beer. I'm added that to your list of to-dos :P

FI doesn't eat carbs... he's a Paleo-diet nut.  But no worries, we'll be fine!  I tossed this idea around with FI, and he loves it.  We do want to go to Napa at some point, but we're not the kind of travelers to care if we go some place to say we've been there.  We enjoy off-the-map places and fun experiences, even in traditional tourist locations.  When I went to Paris with a colleague after a conference in London, she wanted to do all the touristy things and I just wanted to sit in a cafe all day and people watch.  She actually got mad at me that I didn't want to rush around and see everything in a day and go to the top of the Eiffel Tower just to say I'd been there.  Seattle and Washington State might be perfect!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh rigth I forgot that you guys were the ones on this board that did that.
    Veggies work too :o) I just like any excuse to eat carbs haha

haha Yeah I know what you mean about that... My sister spent a year studying abroad in France and never went to the E tower. That's the better way to do it though.. Then you actually experience the CULTURE, not just the places in books.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-9411?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:81b3bc07-3c8a-49c5-8baa-6cfb8014cd40Post:688d31ac-29e5-4f9d-b349-2401a5846858">Re: qotd 9.4.11</a>:
    [QUOTE]TeamBaby, I've never been to Italy, but it's definitely once place I want to go really badly!  When we do, your cooking class sounds right up my alley, as well as the wandering around and finding hole-in-the-wall places, so I'll be hitting you up for recommendaitons!
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!  We had the best time!  :)

As for Napa- I'm with FTL.  It's nice to say you've been, but I think it's totally overrated- and insanely expensive.  I would go with the OR/WA trip.  There is nothing like the great NW. 
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-9411?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:81b3bc07-3c8a-49c5-8baa-6cfb8014cd40Post:97873798-e26c-4872-9195-0eff1aa0424b">Re: qotd 9.4.11</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh man Napa is crazy pricey.. I mean.. It's a great trip to do just to say you did it, and great wine of course! but... idk each winery you go to charges 20-40 bucks for the tasting. That's nuts. In Washington all tastings are free-10. haha. We bought this brewery  tour of Seattle for 40 bucks (20 each it included a tshirt and cool pint glasses) and ended up hammered (It was a three hour tour covering 5 breweries). LOL. At like.. noon. />_< Their "samples" were 5 half pints at each brewery. Too much for no-breakfast me! Definitely carboload if you ever make it to Napa or the NW for booze tours :o) <strong>I REALLY want to go to the Deschutes brewery in OR</strong> I will say.. That's great beer. I'm added that to your list of to-dos :P
    That place is amazing. They have good food too
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kendall I thought you were under 21?
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-9411?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:81b3bc07-3c8a-49c5-8baa-6cfb8014cd40Post:1531724f-a195-4c59-b18b-981f11c6004d">Re: qotd 9.4.11</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kendall I thought you were under 21?
    I am. But minors are allowed in until I think 5? 
  • Options
    ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-9411?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:81b3bc07-3c8a-49c5-8baa-6cfb8014cd40Post:1531724f-a195-4c59-b18b-981f11c6004d">Re: qotd 9.4.11</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kendall I thought you were under 21?
    Meh, it's easy to get into places sometimes, or maybe she just went and did a tour without doing the tasting aspect?
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-9411?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:81b3bc07-3c8a-49c5-8baa-6cfb8014cd40Post:c202f6f6-a8cb-4b82-907c-e2fb5123c80e">Re: qotd 9.4.11</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: qotd 9.4.11 : Meh, it's easy to get into places sometimes, or maybe she just went and did a tour without doing the tasting aspect?
    Posted by ggirl2001[/QUOTE]
    We actually did lunch. When FI's best friend was home on leave. The over 21's drank and I had water. Do I like alcohol? Yes. Do I drink often? No. Nor do I drink out in public
  • Options
    ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-9411?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:81b3bc07-3c8a-49c5-8baa-6cfb8014cd40Post:0da4b397-d156-43a5-ae8e-cc520694b1ac">Re: qotd 9.4.11</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: qotd 9.4.11 : We actually did lunch. When FI's best friend was home on leave. The over 21's drank and I had water. Do I like alcohol? Yes. Do I drink often? No. Nor do I drink out in public
    Posted by KendallR10[/QUOTE]

No judgment from me on this one what you choose to do. I had a fake ID when I was 17.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    lol.. I lived in Germany so I got into everything without showing id.. As long as you have a bod, they assume you are of age, no questions asked.

I was just curious because all brewery and wine tours that I have been on were all 21+.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This past week we did the Miller Brewery tour, SIL got a bit tipsy because daughter and I don't like beer so we gave him our free samples.

They also have posts cards you can fill out and they mail for free. If you didn;t know who to send a post card to they send them to troops in Afghanistan with care packages. Daughter was at a loss so I told her to write this Bud's for you. The whole table of people laughed. I hope some soldier will get a great laugh out of it as we did.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    awww mob that is so sweet and awesome. And too funny! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-9411?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:81b3bc07-3c8a-49c5-8baa-6cfb8014cd40Post:df3d87a9-4a7a-4103-b0e1-7f9f0d21a95f">Re: qotd 9.4.11</a>:
    [QUOTE]I liked japan.  they people were so friendly, and the food was way better than tokyo express. Just kidding!  However, Japan was really nice (except when we got spit at, and when taxi drivers wouldn't let us ride because we were Americans, more specifically American Military).  My favorite places on earth are: Gulf Shores, AL Charleston, SC <strong>"Bear" Bryant Stadium in Tuscaloosa, AL</strong> Kendall, do your self a favor and if/when you go back to college, take an English class.  Not one that teaches you how to properly cite your research materials, but one that teaches you the basic difference between "were" and "we're".  It will probably be a remedial class because most colleges (even community colleges) assume that it's students know about proper grammar and sentence structure.  I'm pretty sure most 4th graders know to capitalize states, and countries.  It can't even be blamed on your education, my H grew up in Oregon, and he knows that Taco Bell is an American fast food chain and not authentic Mexican cuisine.  He also knows not to start a sentence with "But".  I don't claim to be an expert in grammar, I may forget to use spell check once in a blue moon, heck I might even use a few run on sentences and a few too many commas, but I know what I'm supposed to capitalize, I know that this gem: is an embarrassing use of the English language.     Thank you for once again proving your ignorance.  Girls like you are the reason I think that people should have to pass a test before being allowed to procreate (that means have a baby Kendall)
    Posted by SamiJoeB[/QUOTE]

Sorry but this needs to be said and has nothing to do with this post...ROLL TIDE!!!!

I would say that I pretty much love anywhere that is tropical.  I am a beach girl and have sand in my shoes.  I loved the DR and Jamaica.  Stunning views, wonderful food and great people.  In Jamacia, we would have lunch at a little Jerk Chicken Hut around 12 everyday.  It still is the best chicken I have ever had. 

State side, I would say pretty much any where on the SC coastline.  I love Hilton Head, Charleston, Isle Palms.  I am also in love with St. Peterburg. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards