Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Smart or Pretty?

Re: Smart or Pretty?

• Options
    i'm falling asleep at my desk.  fading.  so quickly.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    I know being attractive can help in some situations, but I think it's a lot more about looking put together and like you take good care of yourself than it is about being drop dead gorgeous.

I agree with CS though, intelligence lasts longer than beauty.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_smart-pretty?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0a48578e-9a70-4d91-af71-cc48286f97c0Post:36d8e8c3-b2e2-4dea-a336-960653d4f77d">Re: Smart or Pretty?</a>:
    [QUOTE]MATH IS HARD!!!
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

Damn right it is!

Math was one of my worst subjects in school. That is one of the things I dread most about going back to school, but now I have H to help me. Lol.
  • Options
    I guess my life would change much more if I was stupid...but the pretty people success thing is something that can't be discounted.

Just how unattractive are we talking here?
  • Options
    See, I find a smart man more attractive than a really good looking man.

I think that conversely, the same it true for many men.

Brains are fucking sexy, let me tell ya what.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I won't lie, Fishy.  They say that H is smart enough to move furniture with his brain, but I chose him for his looks.  ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I used to feel the same way, Fishy. I always dated the smart, ugly guys. I'm so happy I found H. He looks like a big dumb jock (but drop dead sexy to me) but is so so smart.

"In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    Ok, so say he was stupid, would you still have married him?

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Smart.  Because if I were smarter, I could make more money and then I could afford to buy pretty.  Booyah!

Honestly, I'll stay with smart. :)
  • Options
    Because I mean, really, I wouldn't have married a stupid person. Never in a million years, no matter how good looking they were.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    No, I couldn't marry H if he were stupid.  But I wouldn't have dated him if he were ugly.
  • Options
    You might not be able to fix stupid, but you can damn sure hide it. If you're ugly as homemade sin, everybody knows. I take pretty.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't have married a stupid person. But I never expected to marry someone as smart as H. Honestly, sometimes I wish he wasn't so freaking smart, it makes me feel like an idiot without even trying.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    Definitely would rather be smart.
    Beauty can only get you so far.
  • Options
    I'd rather be smart.  Looks fade eventually.  Brains (hopefully) last.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    KentuckyKateKentuckyKate member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    Smart in that scenario.  I wouldn't want to be below average in intelligence because I wouln't want to have to constantly work that much harder my whole life.

But if my options were drop dead gorgeous and average intelligence vs. Einstein-brilliant and average looks, I would pick gorgeous.  You can get pretty far with gorgeous and average.

ETA:  I also think if I was drop-dead gorgeous, my confidence level would be drastically different, which also plays a role in success.  With unlimited confidence and beauty and average brains I could be the president.
    Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog
  • Options
    See, I think that's the essence of it. You wouldn't marry a stupid person, but you are not DEAD SET on marrying a supermodel. KWIM?

I mean, your brain makes you who you are, so we're willing to overlook some of the physical imperfections maybe to the point where we don't even see them as such.

We all have some pretty good lookin' husbands, but none of them are supermodels, but a lot of them are really fucking smart.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    There is no way I could've married a stupid person.  I can't deal with the stupid people I run into on a daily basis (well, not at this job, thank god).  I briefly dated a guy who was not cute at all, but was smart, funny and a musician.  He was awesome.  I also briefly dated a guy who was really cute, but didn't know what I meant by conservative v. liberal.  Deal breaker.

I love Mr. Penny because he is smart and funny.  It's just a bonus that he's also hot :).
  • Options
    Smart. Because I literally (serious) have zero tolerance or patience for stupidity.

Pretty is easy to fake, smart requires at least some semblance of intelligence for the most part (unless you know, you're trying to fool a bunch of idiots into thinking you're a genius).
  • Options
    But we're not talking stupid, right?  Just slightly below average?  I don't know.  Luckily I don't have to make that choice because I've been blessed with both brains and beauty :::hairflip:::

I hope everyone knows I'm totally kidding, haha.  Although I did take a free on-line IQ test from a girl at my new job and scored almost genius and so now she thinks I'm wicked smart and calls me IQ.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_smart-pretty?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:0a48578e-9a70-4d91-af71-cc48286f97c0Post:282d7e84-5cd6-42b1-9bbf-a12618bf020b">Re: Smart or Pretty?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You might not be able to fix stupid, but you can damn sure hide it. If you're ugly as homemade sin, everybody knows. I take pretty.
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

This made me giggle. I'm so going to start saying "ugly as homemade sin" now. I hadn't heard that term till you said it, LC.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    Smart. John and I are smart in different ways. I'm book smart (but not compared to my college classmates - I had a "different" college experience than them), but can't always convey that. Maybe "brain smart/tongue thick."
    John knows all there is to know about cars and trucks inside and out, can tell the difference between the sounds of motorcycles (he knows the sound of the dirt bike in T2 is wrong), and all sorts of crap. But he didn't care about high school as much.
    The only thing I don't get about golf is the precision. I don't have a good eye for that, and I don't have patience. I'm an excellent putt putt candidate, and I even have a short attention span for that. I'll plead my ADHD for that. But give me the beverage cart to drive around, and I'll stay at the course all day.
    And, after seeing an Indy car race from the pits, I "get" the car race thrill. I left with tiny bits of rubber on my face and arms! Loud and fast. And of course, John was thrilled with the pit crew aspect.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I think there is a difference between being an asshole who is dumb and a really really nice person who is just not that smart. I would rather be super pretty and really really nice but not too bright than lukewarm looking and brilliant but not very nice.
  • Options
    I prefer my sin to be homemade.  Store-bought is full of additives that just aren't good for you ;).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_smart-pretty?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0a48578e-9a70-4d91-af71-cc48286f97c0Post:e202e302-146a-43c1-9118-00f77d44d73b">Re: Smart or Pretty?</a>:
    [QUOTE]See, I find a smart man more attractive than a really good looking man. I think that conversely, the same it true for many men. Brains are fucking sexy, let me tell ya what.
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, completely.

However, somewhat funny story: at a party in college, I got really drunk one night and flirted all night with a super hot guy. Super, super hot. And he actually flirted back (which was astounding to me, because I've never really been the pretty girl). And he was really nice. In my drunken stupor, I invited him over for dinner the following evening, and he actually came. Dear God, he was one of the dumbest people I've ever spoken to in my life. He was a very nice guy, but good gracious. SO.DUMB.
    My friends will never let me live that night down.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_smart-pretty?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0a48578e-9a70-4d91-af71-cc48286f97c0Post:4a3e0b9c-9b72-4c5c-983b-caeed1d7df3e">Re: Smart or Pretty?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Smart, hands down. I got into a... um.... heated discussion in the bar on Friday night because some dude inadvertently called me stupid. And then he said I was girl, which was why I couldn't understand. What's worse? It was about NASCAR. I said I didn't like it. He just said I was too stupid to understand it. OH NO YOU DI'INT. My husband gave him a look like, "Oh dude. Now you did it. I take no responsibility for your health or my wives words from here on in." And then I let him have it.
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

This reminds me of an episode of South Park where Cartman eats Vagisil to make him poor and stupid because only poor, stupid people like NASCAR.  LOL.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I don't think it's fair to have the choices be SUPER PRETTY with average intelligence

or really really really ugly and a brainiac. One is a total extremes, while one is being ok with being in a gray area.

It's not even a fair comparison.

It should be really, really, really stupid, but supermodel gorgeous or really, really, really, smart, but horribly ugly.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Pretty.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    Yes,  plain jane looking or just not that smart. You can do lots, but you have to work hard at it if you want it.
  • Options
    I just also know so many really smart, unattractive guys.  I don't want to date that guy who is really smart, but then knows it and belittles everyone not as smart as him.  Seriously, that guy was about 25% of the guys I knew in college.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards