July 2012 Weddings

Cocktails, Dinner, and Dancing to follow?

Ok so we got our invitation samples and we had decided on 'reception to follow' on the bottom of the invitation. But now I'm thinking maybe we should put 'Cocktails, Dinner and Dancing to follow'? 

I don't know why this is so difficult. We have a 'details' card but that just has directions, travel, and hotel info. I don't really want a reception card. Is it necessary? I'm so confused by this little detail. I can't remember reading anything like this on invitations I've received. Maybe I just don't pay attention.
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cocktails, Dinner, and Dancing to follow?

• Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    I put reception to follow because our ceremony and reception is at the same venue. Cocktails, dinner and dancing sounds cute though.

But are you questioning what to put so you can be more specific? Or are you just looking for wording alternatives?

ETA: From what I understand, a reception card is only necessary when the ceremony and reception are in different venues. Basically it serves to let people know where the reception is and also I believe it's so you can give them directions there. But if you're already doing a directions card... just put directions to both places and specify "to ceremony" "to reception" problem solved :)
  • We have a separate Reception card that says "Cocktails, Dinner, and Dancing to Follow at _____" but that's because my mom insisted that we have a separate Reception card and because it's at a separate location than the church. Otherwise I would have just put "Reception to Follow"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have both spanish and english invites (guests will receive one or the other, dependent on their native language). On the English, we put "Reception to follow" on the Spanish one, that apparently would sound strange, so we put something much more like dinner, dancing, and good times to immediately follow. My FI wrote it and my spanish is pretty weak, so I don't even know what the exact translation is, haha.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_cocktails-dinner-and-dancing-to-follow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:2708014e-22ee-4f81-add9-b4f81dbe78f4Post:1dc9f013-66c3-46ca-81fc-c062bf73bdc8">Re: Cocktails, Dinner, and Dancing to follow?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have both spanish and english invites (guests will receive one or the other, dependent on their native language). On the English, we put "Reception to follow" on the Spanish one, that apparently would sound strange, so we put something much more like dinner, dancing, and good times to immediately follow. My FI wrote it and my spanish is pretty weak, so I don't even know what the exact translation is, haha.
    Posted by BmoreBride311[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it's something like "recepcion a continuacion" but as always wording tends to vary from country to country. What phrase did your FI write? I couldn't come up with anything creative so I just went with the usual
  • We're doing our own invitations and we haven't printed them yet.  I'm glad you brought this up because our wedding and reception are at the same location and I was going to put Reception to Follow but I really like your Cocktails, Dinner, and Dancing to follow. I think either one will sound fine. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm mostly asking because of more details. I'm just paranoid because more and more of our friends and relatives have been doing 'heavy app' receptions and I want to make sure people know there will be dinner afterwards. But the more I think about it the more I think I'm just over-thinking it.
  • If you want to be specific, and you think it won't cramp up the space, I'd go with the "Cocktails, Dinner, and Dancing" wording. I think it's cute and it's also fitting for a vineyard setting.

Did I mention I wish I were attending your wedding? :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well in that case, do specify.

If the last 3 weddings I had gone to were all heavy apps.. I'd be damn sure to eat a full meal before going to another one. I don't like being hungry. And if that next wedding happened to be your plated dinner wedding.. I'd be annoyed (more so with myself just to be clear) that I'm a little too full for a complete dinner. A little clarification won't hurt anyone. AND it sounds cute. Go with it!
  • mekiakoomekiakoo member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    We have reception cards because we wanted to include directions- people will need to travel to our reception site from the ceremony site (about 3 miles).

Ours said "Reception to Follow at _______" and then directions under it.
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are putting "dinner and dancing to follow" just because its different and sounds fun:)
  • edited March 2012
    My mom really wanted me to put "cocktails, dinner and dancing to follow" on the invitation because she thought it sounded like a great evening. When I was playing around with the invitation, I didn't like how the line looked b/c of the number of words.  I just went with "Reception immediately following"

Do whatever you want though! I do like the sound of cocktails, dinner and dancing :) And I understand where you are coming from based on the last weddings you've gone to
    imageAnniversary
  • Me I say just stick with the basics, keep it simple for yourself
  • We wrote "Please join us for cocktails, dinner, and dancing" on the reception card.  I think the wording is very modern & fun...I say use it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Keep it simple =)  We didn't put reception to follow because we have a reception card with the details of the reception: cocktails beginning at 5pm, dinner at 6pm & dancing to follow until 11pm
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_cocktails-dinner-and-dancing-to-follow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:2708014e-22ee-4f81-add9-b4f81dbe78f4Post:8c2a6e8a-7b23-4548-994d-b4e8a48f69d1">Re: Cocktails, Dinner, and Dancing to follow?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you want to be specific, and you think it won't cramp up the space, I'd go with the "Cocktails, Dinner, and Dancing" wording. I think it's cute and it's also fitting for a vineyard setting. <strong>Did I mention I wish I were attending your wedding? :)</strong>
    Posted by bridetobe71412[/QUOTE]

<div>Aw shucks, thanks!</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks for your input, ladies. We went with cocktails, dinner and dancing to follow. It actually looks pretty symmetrical on the invitation and I just really like the sound of it, haha. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_cocktails-dinner-and-dancing-to-follow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:2708014e-22ee-4f81-add9-b4f81dbe78f4Post:c8e3ab28-4e86-418f-8931-ccaff0cbbe70">Re: Cocktails, Dinner, and Dancing to follow?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cocktails, Dinner, and Dancing to follow? : I'm pretty sure it's something like "recepcion a continuacion" but as always wording tends to vary from country to country. What phrase did your FI write? I couldn't come up with anything creative so I just went with the usual
    Posted by Nati05[/QUOTE]

This is what FI wrote:
    A continuar <span class="hps">festejaremos </span><span class="hps">con cena</span><span>, baile, y</span> <span class="hps">buena compañía!

It translates to "<span><span class="hps">To continue</span> <span class="hps">we will celebrate</span> <span class="hps">with dinner</span><span>, dancing and</span> <span class="hps">good company!"

His mom didn't want us to say reception to follow, b/c in Peru it's common to send a separate invitation to the reception, and we didn't want to do that, so she was worried ppl would see that there's a reception, but not see and invite, and think they weren't invited.</span></span></span>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ours is exactly like bridetobe's. I think the top of the card says "Reception", then we have the line about cocktails, dinner, and dancing. 

I think when the reception is at the same venue as the ceremony, I have typically just seen the invite say "reception to follow". Like bridetobe said, we just did it this way because our reception is a totally different place (10-15 min away) and we wanted to have it as a separate card in the invitation.
  • In Response to Re:Cocktails, Dinner, and Dancing to follow?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cocktails, Dinner, and Dancing to follow?:In Response to Re: Cocktails, Dinner, and Dancing to follow? : I'm pretty sure it's something like "recepcion a continuacion" but as always wording tends to vary from country to country. What phrase did your FI write? I couldn't come up with anything creative so I just went with the usualPosted by Nati05This is what FI wrote:A continuar festejaremos con cena, baile, y buena compantilde;iacute;a!It translates to "To continue we will celebrate with dinner, dancing and good company!"His mom didn't want us to say reception to follow, b/c in Peru it's common to send a separate invitation to the reception, and we didn't want to do that, so she was worried ppl would see that there's a reception, but not see and invite, and think they weren't invited. Posted by BmoreBride311[/QUOTE]

Ahh gotcha! Yeah that could cause quite a problem lol. Glad it all worked out, sounds cute!
  • We formatted ours this way:

Cocktail reception begins at 6:30PM
    followed by
    Dinner and Dancing until 11:30PM
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards