Just Engaged and Proposals

Fiance delaying in setting a date, arrg

Hi ladies - so I got engaged April 9 after being with my fiance for over 5 years (he is a slow mover) and now that we're engaged he keeps pushing me off if I try and talk about setting a date. I keep getting a "give us time to ejoy the proposal" but it's now been almost 2 months and I want to get married within a year. Any tips on how to convince him without attacking him?
Anniversary

Re: Fiance delaying in setting a date, arrg

• Just sit down and ask him when his timeline for getting married is. You two need to communicate. You don't have to set a date this second, but ask him what season/ year is he thinking.

Talk big picture type of stuff. Does he see it as a long engagement or short?  Is he thinking four years? or four months? a small backyard wedding or formal church? Is the budget part of the delay? How much time do you need to save? Etc.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • He asked you to marry him, so he wants to marry you. If he didn't, he wouldn't have asked. Let him know that you want to get married within a year and why and listen to his reasoning if he disagrees. Being newly engaged is a fun time and wedding planning can be very stressful, so he does have a bit of a point with the 'relax and enjoy it' mentality.

I agree with the other ladies, it's time to start making decisions as a couple rather than being stubborn... so you may both need to compromise a bit. You may need to wait a little longer, and he may just need to suck it up and set a date.

Best of luck!
  • Thanks ladies. I'm going to sit down and discuss with him.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards